SkySafari 5 Pro
By Simulation Curriculum Corp.
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
SkySafari 5 Pro is the ultimate astronomy app. It has the largest database of any astronomy app, includes every solar system object ever discovered and offers flawless telescope control. Here's what's new in this version:
1) Complete support for iOS 10!
2) Support for Apple Watch! The Sun, Moon, Planets, and more on your wrist!
3) Tonight at a Glance: the Sun, Moon, Planets, ISS, and Iridium flares in one handy view!
4) Notifications when the ISS will pass overhead, when Iridium satellites flare, and more!
5) Completely new sounds, and a new look to the sky and horizon. Better transitions between portrait and landscape mode.
6) Object lists in the Search menu now show thumbnail images. New options in Advanced Search.
7) Updated object descriptions, with images in-line! Every object now has a description!
8) A new Share button lets you share your sky by email, text, or social media!
9) Reworked Time Flow controls. Set the date and time directly from the main toolbar. Run time 1000 x faster than reality!
10) iCloud or Google Drive sync for your settings and observing lists! Change them on one device, and synchronize your changes across all your iOS devices!
11) An on-line repository of observing lists from experienced amateur astronomers. A "tour mode" that guides you through objects in each list!
12) An improved deep sky database with Abell and Hickson galaxy clusters, and globular clusters in M 31.
13) Galaxy View shows the position of deep sky objects in our Milky Way!
14) A handy Digitized Sky Survey viewer that lets you download images from the DSS!
15) Improved multi-star alignment for telescopes with digital setting circles. Add Barlows and Focal Reducers to your equipment list!
If you haven't used SkySafari Pro before, here's what you can do with it.
• Hold your device up, and SkySafari 5 Pro will find stars, constellations, planets, and more! The star chart updates automatically with your movements for the ultimate stargazing experience.
• Simulate the night sky up to 10,000 years in the past or future! Animate meteor showers, conjunctions, eclipses, and other celestial events with Time Flow.
• Search from our extensive database, and follow the arrow to objects in the sky. See spectacular views of Venus, Jupiter, Saturn, and other planets!
• Learn the history, mythology, and science of astronomy! Browse over 1500 object descriptions and astronomical images. Explore NASA space missions! Stay up-to-date with SkyWeek for all major sky events every day!
• Control your telescope! SkySafari 5 Pro adds wired or wireless control for Celestron, Meade, Orion, SkyWatcher, and many other telescopes. Point your GoTo or “Push-To” telescope anywhere in the sky! Requires SkyFi or SkyWire accessories (sold separately).
• Plan observing sessions with Observing Lists, log your observations, and share with friends!
All this is built into SkySafari 5 Pro – no need for an Internet connection. SkySafari 5 Pro will revolutionize your astronomical viewing experience and replace desktop astronomy software costing 10 times more.
• 25 million stars from both Hubble Guide Star catalogs; 740,000 galaxies down to the 18th magnitude; over 630,000 solar system objects; and satellites like the International Space Station (ISS).
• NASA’s latest LRO Moon maps, with 8X the resolution of any other SkySafari versions, and hi-res Earth and Mars maps.
• Animated meteor showers with complete viewing information & spectacular graphics.
• Night Vision – Preserve your eyesight after dark.
• Advanced Search – Find objects using properties other than their name. Results are sortable by name, number, magnitude, RA, and more!
• Orbit Mode – Leave the Earth’s surface behind, and fly through our solar system.
• Apple Maps Integration – Choose your location from a built-in Maps view.
• Horizon Panoramas – choose from 12 hi-res vistas, or customize your own!
What's New in Version 5.4.0
- Improved selection behavior when using Apple Pencil.
- Object Info: Don't compute rise/set times or conjunctions/oppositions, etc. for Earth, when viewing from Earth.
- Fixed bug where "T Tauri Object Info would be displayed for the object "t Tauri".
- Miscellaneous stability improvements.
Forget all those $100 star maps and celestial star guides. This program will provide years of information on what to look for in the night sky. Just check the Night Tour function under "Search". Fan of Sue French's and James O'Mera's great Celestial Samplers? You can use this app to easily find objects you're looking for (especially if "star hopping" is your thing). "OK that was pretty but what is it?" Just tap the info icon at the bottom of the app and learn more about virtually every single one of the 10's of millions (or more?) of celestial objects stored in this insanely great app. With almost infinite "tuneability" there is a slight learning curve, but worth the effort. (Hint: you'll have to vary"object density" depending upon where (and when) you're looking in the night sky). This program on my iPad has completely changed my observing sessions, for much the better. For the bold, you can also use this program to guide your "go to" scope with an optional dongle purchased from the developer. Haven't tried that with my 20" Obsession StellaCAT drive yet. Simply the best astronomy software on the market with absolutely no competition. I've tried almost all of them, if you plan on actually observing then this is the program for you...
The best - a couple requests
Nothing comes close to the features of this app for backyard astronomy via the iPhone. Too feature rich to even begin describing - see their website. My one request: that I can program the FOV so that when I reach a particular FOV for my eyepiece i.e. the "rings" - I can then "flip" the view horizontal, vertical, or both.
Currently I can only choose to flip all the FOVs. What I want to do is see what I see with the naked eye to start off i.e. no "flips" of the FOV, then as I zoom into my finderscope FOV have it automatically flip to what I would be seeing thru my finderscope, then as I zoom further to my eyepiece FOV - have it automatically flip again to flips horizontal &a vertical.
This would basically require the ability to set the "flip" direction for each FOV i.e. "Rings" a user sets for themselves. This would be very handy at the scope.
Lastly - it would be great to beef up the Observation Logs by allowing users to easily search already observed objects across lists and filter by type, rating, date etc. to easily read previous observations without need of a separate program for that. Also should be to filter out "ever observed" objects. For example, sometimes I'll create an observation list using the powerful advanced search tool. But once the list is created, I want to remove objects I've already observed to see if there are some I haven't yet seen. A filter for "ever observed" i.e. across observation lists, would be great.
Simply the best mobile astronomy application available today
Simulation Curriculum continues to improve the SkySafari feature set with capability unmatched by the competition. The application lends itself to so many different use models from identifying constellations and objects in the night sky, to an impromptu grab-and-go observing session, planning and executing structured observing programs, telescope controls for push-to and go-to mounts, modes that simulate the movements of objects in space and the ability to virtually fly-through space and visualize the universe from other perspectives.
Visual observers will enjoy the features that support the selection of any combination of equipment including telescopes, eyepieces, finders, and mount types to simulate the field of view. Custom observing lists can be created and each observation recorded during the observing session. You simply cannot find a better tool for use in the field!
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Jul 17, 2017
- Version: 5.4.0
- Size: 1.92 GB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Language: English
- Seller: Simulation Curriculum Corp.
- © 2009-2017 Simulation Curriculum Corp. All Rights Reserved.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.