SkySafari 6 Plus
By Simulation Curriculum Corp.
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
SkySafari 6 Plus goes beyond most basic astronomy apps by providing you with a full-featured space simulator with telescope control.
Note that there is no discount upgrade path from SkySafari 6 Plus to SkySafari 6 Pro. Choose carefully!
Here's what's new in version 6:
1) Complete support for iOS 11 and iPhone X. We got you covered and release regular updates.
2) Clouds and Astronomy. Two words that rarely go together. Rewritten from the ground up, SkySafari 6 Plus will (optionally) back up all of your observing data in our secure cloud storage and make it easily accessible to multiple devices as well as from our new web interface, LiveSky.com.
3) We Have The Best Stars. Precise, modern and deep. We’ve updated our star catalog to use the latest and greatest, UCAC5 star catalog.
4) Observers First. A redesign of our tools puts the active observer first. Quick access to features like your equipment, observing sites, lists, and observations make it easy and enjoyable to get out, observe, and record your observations.
5) Graph It. The completely new graph tool will give a quick visual representation of an object’s altitude above the horizon. Essential for planning your night’s observations.
6) Plan It. Make the most of your time under the stars. Our updated planner is a powerful tool that lets you create a list of targets for your observing session with filters like object types, specific time ranges, constellation, catalog, and more. Plan it and get more done.
7) Say It. Ever just wanted to just yell at your device and tell it what to do!? SkySafari 6 adds basic voice control for a wide range of operations. Say “select Jupiter,” “search for Titan,” “center on Polaris” and SkySafari will do the work for you. Yelling optional.
8) Tilt It. Every old astronomy app these days lets your tilt and pan your device to show different parts of the sky, but who else lets you control your telescope that way!? “Tilt to slew” is an optional mode allowing you to keep your eye in the eyepiece, and, using the accelerometers in your device, gently translate the movements of your hands into smooth telescope motion.
9) Share It. SkySafari 6 is more than just a mobile app, it’s a new system to help organize and share your observing experiences. With a free signup, you can see and share your observing data from our web portal, LiveSky.com! Affordable premium memberships add online editing, so you can not only view, but edit your observations, add new observing sites, manage your equipment and more. Finally, (coming soon) you can view, edit and manage your settings files with SkySafari Web, our fully functional web version.
If you haven't used SkySafari 6 Plus before, here's what you can do with it:
• Hold your device up, and SkySafari 6 Plus will find stars, constellations, planets, and more!
• Simulate the night sky up to 10,000 years in the past or future! Animate meteor showers, conjunctions, eclipses, and other celestial events.
• Learn the history, mythology, and science of astronomy! Browse over 1500 object descriptions and astronomical images. Explore NASA space missions! Stay up-to-date with SkyWeek for all major sky events every day!
• Control your telescope, log and plan your observations.
• Night Vision – Preserve your eyesight after dark.
• Orbit Mode. Leave the Earth’s surface behind, and fly through our solar system.
• Time Flow – Follow the motion of sky objects as days, months, and years are compressed into a few seconds.
• Advanced Search – Find objects using properties other than their name.
• Support for Apple Watch!
• Tonight at a Glance: the Sun, Moon, Planets, ISS, and Iridium flares in one handy view!
• Notifications when the ISS will pass overhead, when Iridium satellites flare, and more!
• Much more!
For even more features, and a gigantic database aimed at the most dedicated amateur or professional astronomer, check out SkySafari 6 Pro!
What's New in Version 6.0.1
- Added Help topic on migrating data from SkySafari 5 to SkySafari 6.
- Added entries in Help to take you to the Community Forums and to open a support request.
- Eliminated initial delay when tapping on the zoom in/out buttons.
- Improved responsiveness of on-screen slew buttons.
- Improved the timing of Jupiter moon events in the Object Info.
- Changed DSS download to use the first generation survey plates. The images are smaller and faster to download and they match the view in the eyepiece better.
- Changed maximum DS cache size from 1 GB to 50 GB.
- Fixed bug where the custom observing sites were not getting searched when you searched for a location in the Location settings.
- Fixed bug where not all objects in a large (> 400 object) observing list would be re-highlighted when the app is restarted.
- Fixed problem where the tick marks on the "Show Selected Object Path" path did not line up exactly with the correct time.
- Fixed bug where some observing lists would get stuck showing "Fetching..."
- Current scope RA/Dec is now initially shown in the GoTo RA/Dec panel.
- Fixed crash that would happen if you saved a custom observing site with a zero length name.
- Moved the UI for toggling backing up to the cloud servers to the Storage settings.
- Fixed some Night Vision problems.
- Various small UI changes and tweaks.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Jan 05, 2018
- Version: 6.0.1
- Size: 682 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Language: English
- Seller: Simulation Curriculum Corp.
- © 2009-2018 Simulation Curriculum Corp. All Rights Reserved.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.