SkySafari 6 Plus goes beyond most basic astronomy apps by providing you with a full-featured space simulator with telescope control and Augmented Reality (AR) mode.
Note that there is no discount upgrade path from SkySafari 6 Plus to SkySafari 6 Pro. Choose carefully!
Here's what's new in version 6:
1) Complete support for iOS 11 and iPhone X. We got you covered and release regular updates.
2) Clouds and Astronomy. Two words that rarely go together. Rewritten from the ground up, SkySafari 6 Plus will (optionally) back up all of your observing data in our secure cloud storage and make it easily accessible to multiple devices as well as from our new web interface, LiveSky.com.
3) We Have The Best Stars. Precise, modern and deep. We’ve updated our star catalog to use the latest and greatest, UCAC5 star catalog.
4) Observers First. A redesign of our tools puts the active observer first. Quick access to features like your equipment, observing sites, lists, and observations make it easy and enjoyable to get out, observe, and record your observations.
5) Graph It. The completely new graph tool will give a quick visual representation of an object’s altitude above the horizon. Essential for planning your night’s observations.
6) Plan It. Make the most of your time under the stars. Our updated planner is a powerful tool that lets you create a list of targets for your observing session with filters like object types, specific time ranges, constellation, catalog, and more. Plan it and get more done.
7) Say It. Ever just wanted to just yell at your device and tell it what to do!? SkySafari 6 adds basic voice control for a wide range of operations. Say “select Jupiter,” “search for Titan,” “center on Polaris” and SkySafari will do the work for you. Yelling optional.
8) Tilt It. Every old astronomy app these days lets your tilt and pan your device to show different parts of the sky, but who else lets you control your telescope that way!? “Tilt to slew” is an optional mode allowing you to keep your eye in the eyepiece, and, using the accelerometers in your device, gently translate the movements of your hands into smooth telescope motion.
9) Share It. SkySafari 6 is more than just a mobile app, it’s a new system to help organize and share your observing experiences. With a free signup, you can see and share your observing data from our web portal, LiveSky.com! Affordable premium memberships add online editing, so you can not only view, but edit your observations, add new observing sites, manage your equipment and more. Finally, (coming soon) you can view, edit and manage your settings files with SkySafari Web, our fully functional web version.
If you haven't used SkySafari 6 Plus before, here's what you can do with it:
• Hold your device up, and SkySafari 6 Plus will find stars, constellations, planets, and more!
• Simulate the night sky up to 10,000 years in the past or future! Animate meteor showers, conjunctions, eclipses, and other celestial events.
• Learn the history, mythology, and science of astronomy! Browse over 1500 object descriptions and astronomical images. Explore NASA space missions! Stay up-to-date with SkyWeek for all major sky events every day!
• Control your telescope, log and plan your observations.
• Night Vision – Preserve your eyesight after dark.
• Orbit Mode. Leave the Earth’s surface behind, and fly through our solar system.
• Time Flow – Follow the motion of sky objects as days, months, and years are compressed into a few seconds.
• Advanced Search – Find objects using properties other than their name.
• Support for Apple Watch!
• Tonight at a Glance: the Sun, Moon, Planets, ISS, and Iridium flares in one handy view!
• Notifications when the ISS will pass overhead, when Iridium satellites flare, and more!
• Much more!
For even more features, and a gigantic database aimed at the most dedicated amateur or professional astronomer, check out SkySafari 6 Pro!
Thank you for using SkySafari Plus. We have some exciting new features and improvements in this release!
+ New Augmented Reality (AR) mode available when using the compass. AR blends the simulated sky chart with a real view of your surroundings, captured from your device's camera. AR mode makes it even easier to find your favorite planets, stars, and constellations. Requires iOS 10.
+ Added support for latest iOptron firmware.
+ Improved accuracy of Telescope GoTos when talking to StarSense hand controller.
+ Various performance and stability improvements.
Some pointers on using Augmented Reality mode in SkySafari:
To use AR in SkySafari, first activate the compass by either tapping the icon in the toolbar or simply tilting your device up to the sky. A small AR icon appears above the toolbar, near the bottom of the screen. Tap the AR icon to turn on your device's camera. If this is the first time you've used AR, your device will ask for your permission to use the camera. To turn off AR mode, tap the AR icon again. When AR is active, the toolbar and on-screen buttons will be hidden.
During daylight hours, point your device's camera at an area of clear blue sky. SkySafari will fill that area with a star chart. At night, point your camera at a black sky area. SkySafari will attempt to draw the star chart only over the sky area, and not walls, buildings, trees, etc.
You can increase or decrease the amount of sky chart blending with the camera's video image by swiping up or down. At maximum blending, the star chart is drawn everywhere above the horizon, not just in clear sky areas.
You may find that the simulated objects in the sky chart don't quite line up correctly with the real objects shown by the camera. This is due to the inaccuracy inherent in your device's digital compass. To fix this problem, swipe the chart left-to-right. This way, you can align objects drawn in the chart with their images shown by the camera. The Moon is a great object to align on. The planets and brightest stars should also be visible in the camera and can be used for AR alignment.
Ratings and Reviews
Good app. Confusing reason for update.
This business model of making a new version as a new app, asking users to repurchase it, and removing the old version from the store is confusing.
I uninstalled my previous version to install the new version, after being prompted to download the new version from within the app. I realized after installing the new version that features had been removed, and that I needed to purchase this “plus” version to re-enable the features I lost. I couldn’t find the previous version in the App Store, so I just paid for this.
The developer has pointed out that the old version can still be downloaded from the App Store in the previously purchased section of my account. Thanks.
Sorry, but this is not true. You can always re-download older versions of the SkySafari from your Purchased list on the App Store. When new versions of SkySafari are released (every 2 years), we remove the old one from sale to avoid confusion.
Better Than I Expected!
This app is smooth and powerful. I will like learning how to use this great software. During my first session SkySafari alerted me to an HST pass. My ten-year-old observing partner and I enjoyed watching the low-angle pass on my iPhone almost as much as we would have liked directly observing the orbiting observatory.
Tonight I loaded a second copy of this app on my iPad and watched my niece load another copy on her iPhone. It still works great!
Thank you for the review!
Fantastic app for the stars!
I’ve been using SkySafari + for years. I love that such a powerful App lives on my phone so I can refer to it anytime at home or in the field.
It works great to control my Goto telescope for observing and astrophotography, and functions perfectly in remote places where there is no cell coverage. Most excellent for beginners and experienced users a like. Don’t hesitate to get this app!
Thank you for the review!
- Simulation Curriculum Corp.
- 687.3 MB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2009-2018 Simulation Curriculum Corp. All Rights Reserved.
- In-App Purchases
- Galaxy View $3.99
- Interactive H-R Diagram $2.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.