SkySafari 6 Pro will revolutionize your astronomical viewing experience. It has the largest database of any astronomy app, includes every solar system object ever discovered, offers unparalleled accuracy, flawless telescope control, Augmented Reality (AR) mode, and provides the very best experience under the stars when you depend on it. Discover why SkySafari 6 Pro is the #1 recommended astronomy app for serious amateur astronomers since 2009.
Here's what's new in version 6:
1) Complete support for iOS 11 and iPhone X. We release regular updates.
2) Clouds and Astronomy. Two words that rarely go together. SkySafari 6 Pro will (optionally) back up all of your observing data in our secure cloud storage and make it easily accessible to multiple devices as well as from our new web interface, LiveSky.com.
3) We Have The Best Stars. Precise, modern and deep. We’ve updated our star catalog to use the latest and greatest, UCAC5 star catalog. If 25 million stars down to 15th magnitude isn’t enough for you, an easy in-app purchase gets you down to 16.5 magnitude and a whopping 100 million stars!
4) We Have The Best Galaxies. The PGC catalog includes galaxies down to 18th magnitude. Want more galaxies? How about 2.6 million more? An in-app purchase gives you access to the largest galaxy database available for your device.
5) Observers First. A redesign of our tools puts the active observer first. Quick access to features like your equipment, observing sites, lists, and observations make it easy and enjoyable to get out, observe, and record your observations. The observing sessions feature lets you collect your observations into groups that span a few hours, or a few nights.
6) Graph It. The completely new graph tool will give a quick visual representation of an object’s altitude above the horizon. Essential for planning your night’s observations.
7) Plan It. Make the most of your time under the stars. Our updated planner is a powerful tool that lets you create a list of targets for your observing session with filters like object types, specific time ranges, constellation, catalog, and more. Plan it and get more done.
8) Say It. Ever just wanted to just yell at your device and tell it what to do!? SkySafari 6 adds basic voice control for a wide range of operations. Say “select Jupiter,” “search for Titan,” “center on Polaris” and SkySafari will do the work for you. Yelling optional.
9) Tilt It. Every old astronomy app these days lets your tilt and pan your device to show different parts of the sky, but who else lets you control your telescope that way!? “Tilt to slew” is an optional mode allowing you to keep your eye in the eyepiece, and, using the accelerometers in your device, gently translate the movements of your hands into smooth telescope motion.
10) Share It. SkySafari 6 is more than just a mobile app, it’s a new system to help organize and share your observing experiences. With a free signup, you can see and share your observing data from our web portal, LiveSky.com! Affordable premium memberships add online editing, so you can not only view, but edit your observations, add new observing sites, manage your equipment and more. Finally, (coming soon) you can view, edit and manage your settings files with SkySafari Web, our fully functional web version.
If you haven't used SkySafari 6 Pro before, here's what you can do with it:
• Hold your device up, and SkySafari 6 Pro will find stars, constellations, planets, and more! The star chart updates automatically with your movements for the ultimate stargazing experience.
• Simulate the night sky up to 10,000 years in the past or future! Animate meteor showers, conjunctions, eclipses, and other celestial events.
• Control your telescope, log and plan your observations.
• Night Vision.
• Orbit Mode. Leave the Earth’s surface behind, and fly through our solar system.
• Galaxy View shows the position of deep sky objects in our Milky Way!
• Much more!
• In the Observation screen you can now display the info for the object or center the object in the main chart.
• In the Observations screen, we no longer show sessions without any observations. We also show the number of observations in sessions that do have observations.
• When associating an observing list with an observation, we now show all observing lists rather than just those that contain the object. If the chosen list doesn't have that object in it, we give you the option to add it.
• There is a new option in the Object Info's more button to show all observing lists containing the object.
• In the Date/Time Picker dialog, there is now a "Now" button to set the date/time to the current time.
• Improved resizing of H-R Diagram.
• Various modifications for compatibility with soon to be released Starry Night 8.
• Various stability and performance improvements.
Ratings and Reviews
Useable, but with greater difficulty
This is an addendum to my previous review (revised) -
Upon further review I was able to use LiveSky to input all of my equipment. It is very different from SkySafari 5 Pro. So there is a learning curve that could be improved with a detailed user manual for SkySafari 6 Pro. While the new app is useable, I believe it is more cumbersome than Using SkySafari 5 Pro. However I am changing my star rating to 3 stars since everything seems to be working, although I find it more difficult to use than SkySafari 5 Pro. I will give it 5 stars after it becomes as easy to use as SkySafari 5 Pro.
Original Review - Unable to get my settings/equipment from SkySafari 5 pro. Tried the method given to a previous reviewer and after selecting share from SkySafari 5, there was no SkySafari 6 in the list to share to. Then I tried to add my equipment manually like with Safari 5 pro and could not find an option in the settings to do so. I thought maybe it was a bad install or something but it was the same on both my iPad 2017, and my iPhone 6. I joined LiveSky thinking I might be able to accomplish some of the above tasks and was able to input one of my telescopes. After that it it only listed that telescope as a recent telescope and no further option to add other equipment. I apologize if I have missed some important information on this, however, I am very disgruntled to think I just paid $20 to be a beta tester of this app.
I’m using this app to control a Celestron 8” EdgeHD on an AVX German Equatorial Mount. The Network interface is via Celestron’s SkyPortal WiFi adapter.
This app is a huge improvement over Celestron’s own hand controller. The alignment is process is faster, and the tracking accuracy has been excellent. The app has improved my entire astronomical experience with a wealth of data and having the ability to customize the “scope display” using the exact specifications of my gear. This is also great for simulating the FoV of various eyepieces and imaging equipment for possible future purchases, and for planning imaging session dates & times. The telescope controls are smooth and everything works great. I can certainly tell that some serious effort has been put into this app.
The only changes I could suggest would be to enlarge the telescope directional buttons. With a hand controller, you can feel the buttons physically, and it’s easier to direct the scope without having to come off the eyepiece to look at the hand controller. Having these controls on screen makes it a little more difficult to make small finely-tuned adjustments.
Alpha, maybe Beta - barely
Not happy. My first review was not posted because of bad language. Grow up, Apple.
Not ready for prime time. Hangs permanently when a data transfer to or from LiveSky loses a connection. To use SS6 Pro again I had to restart the phone. LiveSky site uses WebGL, so doesn’t do well with Safari. LiveSky site is not ready, and has serious updating issues. SS6 has slewing problems with Celestron NexStar Evolution WiFi, just like the predecessors, and you just have Celestron pointing fingers at SS, and SS pointing fingers at Celestron, just like before. Sky Safari 6 Pro needs a lot of attention. Looks like it won’t be ready for quite a while. The developers need a better release strategy, because this thing will ruin their reputation.
Developer Response ,
Sorry you are having problems. We believe we have corrected all the initial issues with Live Sky. Please post in out Community Forums if you are still having problems.
We would also like to know more about what problems you are having with the NexStar Evolution mounts. We are always working to make the product better.
In-App PurchasesSee All
- Simulation Curriculum Corp.
- 2 GB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2009-2018 Simulation Curriculum Corp. All Rights Reserved.
- In-App Purchases
- Interactive H-R Diagram $2.99
- PGC Extension Database $4.99
- GAIA Extension Database $9.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.