SkySafari 6 is a powerful planetarium that puts the universe at your fingertips, and is incredibly easy to use! Quickly locate planets, constellations, satellites, and millions of stars and deep sky objects. Discover why SkySafari 6 is your perfect stargazing companion at home or under the night sky.
Here's what's new in version 6:
1) Complete support for MacOS. We got you covered and release regular updates.
2) Clouds and Astronomy. Two words that rarely go together. Rewritten from the ground up, SkySafari 6 will (optionally) back up all your settings files and make it easily accessible to multiple devices as well as from our new web interface, LiveSky.com.
3) Redesigned look and feel with a dark theme interface.
4) Configurable font sizes
5) Better control of magnitude limits
6) Improved databases
7) Better updating of Comets and Asteroids (more recent data)
8) Better Moon display when zoomed out
If you haven't used SkySafari 6 before, here's what you can do with it:
• SkySafari will find stars, constellations, planets, and more! The star chart updates automatically in real time for the ultimate stargazing experience.
• See an eclipse now, in the past or in the future! Simulate the night sky from anywhere on Earth many years in the past or in the future! Animate meteor showers, comet approaches, transits, conjunctions, and other celestial events with SkySafari’s Time Flow.
• Locate the Sun, Moon, or Mars from our extensive database and track the arrow to be directed to their exact locations in the sky before you. See spectacular views of Venus, Jupiter, Saturn, and other planets!
• Learn about the history, mythology, and science of heavens! Browse from hundreds of object descriptions, astronomical photographs, and NASA spacecraft images in SkySafari. Explore tons of NASA Space Missions! Stay up-to-date with SkyWeek, for all major sky events every day – miss nothing!
• 120,000 stars; over 200 star clusters, nebulae, and galaxies; all major planets and moons, and dozens of asteroids, comets, and satellites including the International Space Station (ISS).
• Animated meteor showers with complete viewing information & spectacular graphics.
• Orbit Mode – Leave the Earth’s surface behind, and fly like a NASA space probe through the solar system. Requires in-app purchase.
• Night Vision – Preserves your eyesight after dark.
• Apple Maps Integration – Choose your location from a built-in Maps view.
• Horizon Panoramas – choose from beautiful built-in vistas, or customize your own!
• Much more!
For even more features, and telescope control check out SkySafari 6 Plus and SkySafari 6 Pro!
• Improved performance syncing data with LiveSky.
• Various other performance and stability changes.
Ratings and Reviews
great for the money
I have this as well as 5 pro for iOS and for the money this app is great. It lacks much of the features of the mor expensive versions of this program but as a beta tester for this before its launch, I can say that it is very stable abd well thought out. However, the music will indeed oput you to sleep as it is very relaxing! Purchase with confidence. It you want to control a telescope mount however, youll need to upgrade.
Purchased this app because I’m a novice at identifying objects in the sky. It works well and doesn’t seem to have any bugs. I’m using it on a 2010 MacBook running HIgh Sierra. The features in it are intuitive. One night it showed the Hubble Space Telescope rising; I went out and used the program to orient myself and sure enough, there was the HST.
This is an excellent astronomy program, unless perhaps you might be a professional and in need of something rather more powerful. Don't hesitate to spring for this, and it is worth if to purchase the in-house add-ons as you can see fit to do so.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.