SkySafari is a powerful planetarium that fits in your pocket, puts the universe at your fingertips, and is incredibly easy to use!
Simply hold your device to the sky and quickly locate planets, constellations, satellites, and millions of stars and deep sky objects. Use Augmented Reality (AR) mode to blend a simulated sky chart with a real view of your surroundings.
Packed with interactive information and rich graphics, discover why SkySafari 6 is your perfect stargazing companion under the night sky.
Here's what's new in version 6:
1) Complete support for iOS 11 and iPhone X. We got you covered and release regular updates.
2) Clouds and Astronomy. Two words that rarely go together. Rewritten from the ground up, SkySafari 6 will (optionally) back up all your settings files and make it easily accessible to multiple devices as well as from our new web interface, LiveSky.com.
3) Say It. Ever just wanted to just yell at your device and tell it what to do!? SkySafari 6 adds basic voice control for a wide range of operations. Say “select Jupiter,” “search for Titan,” “center on Polaris” and SkySafari will do the work for you. Yelling optional.
4) Redesigned toolbar with ability to hide
5) Configurable font sizes
6) Better control of magnitude limits
7) Improved databases
8) Better updating of Comets and Asteroids (more recent data)
9) Better Moon display when zoomed out
If you haven't used SkySafari 6 before, here's what you can do with it:
• Hold your device up, and SkySafari will find stars, constellations, planets, and more! The star chart updates automatically with your real time movements for the ultimate stargazing experience.
• See an eclipse now, in the past or in the future! Simulate the night sky from anywhere on Earth many years in the past or in the future! Animate meteor showers, comet approaches, transits, conjunctions, and other celestial events with SkySafari’s Time Flow.
• Locate the Sun, Moon, or Mars from our extensive database and track the arrow to be directed to their exact locations in the sky before you. See spectacular views of Venus, Jupiter, Saturn, and other planets!
• Learn about the history, mythology, and science of the heavens! Browse from hundreds of object descriptions, astronomical photographs, and NASA spacecraft images in SkySafari. Explore tons of NASA Space Missions! Stay up-to-date with SkyWeek, for all major sky events every day – miss nothing!
• 120,000 stars; over 200 star clusters, nebulae, and galaxies; all major planets and moons, and dozens of asteroids, comets, and satellites including the International Space Station (ISS).
• Animated meteor showers with complete viewing information & spectacular graphics.
• Orbit Mode – Leave the Earth’s surface behind, and fly like a NASA space probe through the solar system. Requires in-app purchase.
• Night Vision – Preserves your eyesight after dark.
• Apple Maps Integration – Choose your location from a built-in Maps view.
• Horizon Panoramas – choose from beautiful built-in vistas, or customize your own!
• Much more!
Cosmos Collection: In-app purchase allows you to travel to other planets and stars, visualize the 3-D location of deepsky objects in our galaxy, and listen to hours of audio guided tours of the heavens. The Cosmos Collection includes:
Lift off from the Earth and travel to the planets, moons and stars.
Guided Audio Tours
Listen to more than four hours of audio narration to learn the history, mythology, and science of the heavens.
Visualize the 3-D location of stars and deep sky objects in our Galaxy the Milky Way.
“Yoor-a- nus”, not “Your-anus”? The pronunciation guide in SkySafari will help you learn how to correctly pronounce the names of hundreds of celestial objects from different categories such as stars, constellations and planets.
For even more features, and telescope control check out SkySafari 6 Plus and SkySafari 6 Pro!
SkySafari can now show you an Augmented Reality (AR) view of the sky! AR blends a simulated sky chart of your sky with a real view of your surroundings, captured from your device's camera. AR mode makes it even easier to find your favorite planets, stars, and constellations.
+ iOS 10
Some pointers on using AR mode in SkySafari:
To use AR in SkySafari, first activate the compass by either tapping the icon in the toolbar or simply tilting your device up to the sky. A small AR icon appears above the toolbar, near the bottom of the screen. Tap the AR icon to turn on your device's camera. If this is the first time you've used AR, your device will ask for your permission to use the camera. To turn off AR mode, tap the AR icon again. When AR is active, the toolbar and on-screen buttons will be hidden.
During daylight hours, point your device's camera at an area of clear blue sky. SkySafari will fill that area with a star chart. At night, point your camera at a black sky area. SkySafari will attempt to draw the star chart only over the sky area, and not walls, buildings, trees, etc.
You can increase or decrease the amount of sky chart blending with the camera's video image by swiping up or down. At maximum blending, the star chart is drawn everywhere above the horizon, not just in clear sky areas.
You may find that the simulated objects in the sky chart don't quite line up correctly with the real objects shown by the camera. This is due to the inaccuracy inherent in your device's digital compass. To fix this problem, swipe the chart left-to-right. This way, you can align objects drawn in the chart with their images shown by the camera. The Moon is a great object to align on. The planets and brightest stars should also be visible in the camera and can be used for AR alignment.
Ratings and Reviews
Couldn’t be better!
This app is amazing! I’ve been using Star Chart for the longest time, drooling to get my hands on this. Now it’s free! However, it might be a little difficult for first time stargazers because it can have a lot of distractions. I love the voice control, it really helps free up my hands. Forty dollars is a lot for an app, but I love this so much, I think Pro will definitely be worth it. I was surprised to find that it has little to no lag even with all of the items to display. It is a high quality app and I thank Simulation Curriculum.
Thank you so much for your comments. Enjoy the app!
I can spend hours . . .
What a app for astronomy buffs! Locate (within a reasonable proximity) that dot of light you see, find out what is known about it, follow its path, past or future, and get updates on upcoming astronomical events! I used it to observe the recent blue (accurately, Orange) super moon eclipse at totality just before dawn, knowing that since it calculates the viewing perspective from my exact location, I could get the eclipse right in the stage I wanted and know exactly where in the sky it was going to be. I like the music, too, but it can be turned off and on.
Thank you! The ambient sound can be turned off or you can select a different track - it's a fun feature for most but optional.
Most amazing....EVER! Hands down.
You could spend the rest of your life exploring with skysafari6 and never have to see the same object twice. Pure GENIUS! George Jetson didn’t have it this good! NOW you really CAN tell your telescope where to go. We absolutely love all the people and products at simulation curriculum,they are so nice and Very helpful folks. THIS is what cutting edge technology...looks like. S.T.E.M. Is the future,here’s a path forward. With great respect. Dean Janson
Wow, thank you so much for the review Dean! You keep us going ;)
In-App PurchasesSee All
- Simulation Curriculum Corp.
- 343 MB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2009-2018 Simulation Curriculum Corp. All Rights Reserved.
- In-App Purchases
- Cosmos Collection $3.99
- Orbit Mode $1.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.