SkyView® - Explore the Universe
By Terminal Eleven LLC
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
SkyView® brings stargazing to everyone. Simply point your iPhone, iPad, or iPod at the sky to identify stars, constellations, planets, satellites, and more!
Over 1.7 million downloads.
App Store Rewind 2011 -- Best Education App
“If you've ever wanted to know what you're looking at in the night sky, this app is the perfect stargazer's companion.”
"If you’ve ever been looking for a stargazing app for your iPhone, then this [is] definitely the one to get."
“SkyView is an Augmented Reality app that lets you see just what delights the sky has to offer.”
– 148Apps Editor’s Choice
You don't need to be an astronomer to find stars or constellations in the sky, just open SkyView® and let it guide you to their location and identify them. SkyView® is a beautiful and intuitive stargazing app that uses your camera to precisely spot and identify celestial objects in sky, day or night. Find all 88 constellations as they fade in and out while you scan across the sky, locate every planet in our solar system, discover distant galaxies, and witness satellite fly-bys.
• Simple: Point your device at the sky to identify galaxies, stars, constellations, planets, and satellites (including the ISS and Hubble) passing overhead at your location.
• Sighting Events: schedule alerts for upcoming celestial events.
• Apple Watch: see what objects are visible tonight and how to spot them using your Apple Watch.
• Today Widget: brand new iOS 8 today widget lets you quickly see upcoming celestial events.
• Night Mode: Preserve your night vision with red or green night mode filters.
• Augmented Reality (AR): Use your camera to spot objects in the sky, day or night.
• Sky Paths: Follow the sky track for any object to see it’s exact location in the sky on any date and time.
• Comprehensive: Includes thousands of stars, planets, and satellites with thousands of interesting facts.
• Time Travel: Jump to the future or the past and see the sky on different dates and times.
• Social: Capture and share beautiful images with friends and family on social networks.
• Mobile: WiFi is NOT required (does not require a data signal or GPS to function). Take it camping, boating, or even flying!
What a fun way to teach yourself, your children, your students, or your friends about our wonderful universe!
What's New in Version 3.5.1
This release of SkyView addresses a few, small bugs regarding our widget view in iOS 10.
I would be hard pressed to find a similar App that does this.
Fun and educational. I love the fact that the planets show rotation. I'd love to see the developers consider updating in the future, the ability to tap into deeper space. Perhaps allowing us the chance to see the moons around planets, and any other space objects that are known in real time. One issue I find is the planets are askew/slightly off, causing me to adjust an approximate only to the L&R, which still doesn't give a true correction (or onion skin) It'd also be nice to have more educational factoids/info updated. This alone shouldn't deter you from getting this app, as its really the best one out there for those of us who love learning astronomy. I do love this app! I hope the programmers/developers consider our feedback & wishes. Every time Its clear outside regardless of the weather, I open this app and learn something new!
Four Years later and everything I asked for and more! Next Generation-I'd love to see a wayback option gps enabled where ever you are on the planet and the ability to go back in time to get the options to see the sky in the past (with known historical proven factual astronomical phenomena) that'd be a wonderful challenge for developers and experience for those of us who wish to see the
Sky as it was in roman times!
This app is awesome! It is by far my favorite. To be able to see so much, any time of day, is a fantastic experience. I used the light version for about 15 minutes, then knew I wanted to purchase full version.
I have a 9 year old who loves to view space with a telescope. This app points him in the exact direction and time, for viewing many objects. Thanks for a great app.
Update: I have been using this app for over 6 years now and it's still used at least weekly. My then 9 year old son is now 15 and has it on his own phone. My other sons, now 9 and 10 also ask to use my phone at times, just to explore the skies, even while inside the house.
The Universe made easy....
This awesome app makes answering my kids questions easy and fun!! Love it.
We use it at home, on road trips, during special space events, and my fave.... camping!
My only issue, which is fairly easy to adjust, is the iPhone version has to be recalibrated every time we use it. Not hard to do, but kind of a bother when we want info on a 'star' or planet quickly.
Really cool that it can be filtered (or set to show multiple sets of data) to give us info on our satellites, space trash, and different missions from around the globe.
Definitely a laypersons go to app for all that is in our local universe.
- Category: Education
- Updated: Oct 05, 2016
- Version: 3.5.1
- Size: 93.4 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Language: English
- Seller: Terminal Eleven LLC
- © 2010 Terminal Eleven LLC.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.