SkyView® - Explore the Universe
By Terminal Eleven LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
SkyView® brings stargazing to everyone. Simply point your iPhone, iPad, or iPod at the sky to identify stars, constellations, planets, satellites, and more!
Over 1.7 million downloads.
App Store Rewind 2011 -- Best Education App
“If you've ever wanted to know what you're looking at in the night sky, this app is the perfect stargazer's companion.”
"If you’ve ever been looking for a stargazing app for your iPhone, then this [is] definitely the one to get."
“SkyView is an Augmented Reality app that lets you see just what delights the sky has to offer.”
– 148Apps Editor’s Choice
You don't need to be an astronomer to find stars or constellations in the sky, just open SkyView® and let it guide you to their location and identify them. SkyView® is a beautiful and intuitive stargazing app that uses your camera to precisely spot and identify celestial objects in sky, day or night. Find all 88 constellations as they fade in and out while you scan across the sky, locate every planet in our solar system, discover distant galaxies, and witness satellite fly-bys.
• Simple: Point your device at the sky to identify galaxies, stars, constellations, planets, and satellites (including the ISS and Hubble) passing overhead at your location.
• Sighting Events: schedule alerts for upcoming celestial events.
• Apple Watch: see what objects are visible tonight and how to spot them using your Apple Watch.
• Today Widget: brand new iOS 8 today widget lets you quickly see upcoming celestial events.
• Night Mode: Preserve your night vision with red or green night mode filters.
• Augmented Reality (AR): Use your camera to spot objects in the sky, day or night.
• Sky Paths: Follow the sky track for any object to see it’s exact location in the sky on any date and time.
• Comprehensive: Includes thousands of stars, planets, and satellites with thousands of interesting facts.
• Time Travel: Jump to the future or the past and see the sky on different dates and times.
• Social: Capture and share beautiful images with friends and family on social networks.
• Mobile: WiFi is NOT required (does not require a data signal or GPS to function). Take it camping, boating, or even flying!
What a fun way to teach yourself, your children, your students, or your friends about our wonderful universe!
What's New in Version 3.5.0
This is our big end of the year update that takes advantage of new iOS9 features, Spotlight and 3D Touch!
To use Spotlight, just swipe down on your home screen and search for your favorite celestial object like Gemini, ISS, Capella, or Orion. When you touch a SkyView search result, SkyView will open and select the object.
To use 3D Touch with SkyView, press hard on the SkyView app icon from your home screen. The SkyView app icon will present shortcuts to your favorite objects, search, and Tonight’s Sightings. (Requires 3D Touch compatible devices)
Wonderful way to enjoy the night sky.
SkyView has been such a delight. I especially enjoy star gazing while we are traveling. And the best part was showing our grandchildren the planets that they have been studying in school. Their enthusiasm made my heart happy. The only thing that is a little difficult is figuring out how to fix the screen view with the stars I'm seeing. Fortunately, most of the time the background light is so bright it washes out all but the brightest, but In the desert night sky it was harder to pick out which one I was seeing from so many. Doesn't matter though, it was still beautiful and fun.
Great APP, pleased I got it!
Wasn't sure I wanted it. I'm very picky about apps on my phone. This app is so much fun! Every night in bed, I look to see what's "above horizon". If I see something interesting, I throw my robe and slippers on and run outside to look. My husband thought I was crazy but he got it too and now he's addicted to it as well! I'm still very pleased with this app. I still run outside with my dog like a crazy person, running down the street to get away from trees. It's so much fun! At 60, it's so cool to have watched the moon landing and now being able to keep track of the ISS!
Love, but glitch
I too love this app use it all the time. I currently found a glitch that I hadn't seen before. The planets & the zodiac signs are not properly a lined. By this I mean currently the Sun, Mercury, Venus & Neptune are all in Pisces. However when I look at my Skyview it has them in Aquarius. Checked several others and they were all off by one sign. This may not be a big deal to some people but it makes a big difference to anyone dealing in Astrology. Still love the app just won't rely on it for that info any more. Skyview you might want to check into that glitch.
- Category: Education
- Updated: Dec 21, 2015
- Version: 3.5.0
- Size: 78.4 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Language: English
- Seller: Terminal Eleven LLC
- © 2010 Terminal Eleven LLC.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.