Slack brings team communication and collaboration into one place so you can get more work done, whether you belong to a large enterprise or a small business. Check off your to-do list and move your projects forward by bringing the right people, conversations, tools, and information you need together. Slack is available on any device, so you can find and access your team and your work, whether you’re at your desk or on the go.
Use Slack to:
• Communicate with your team and organize your conversations by topics, projects, or anything else that matters to your work
• Message or call any person or group within your team
• Share and edit documents and collaborate with the right people all in Slack
• Integrate into your workflow, the tools and services you already use including Google Drive, Salesforce, Dropbox, Asana, Twitter, Zendesk, and more
• Easily search a central knowledge base that automatically indexes and archives your team’s past conversations and files
• Customize your notifications so you stay focused on what matters
Scientifically proven (or at least rumored) to make your working life simpler, more pleasant, and more productive. We hope you’ll give Slack a try.
Stop by and learn more at: https://slack.com/
• When you lock your device, your status will now, as you might expect, set you as away. Because you are.
• Launch (and Hide) on Login now works better than once it did. Where by "once" we mean "five minutes ago before you updated your version of Slack".
• Our Slack app icon was missing smaller icon sizes, which was both problematic and aesthetically bad. It now renders as it should.
• Slack would occasionally crash while you were restarting your computer. We looked at the bug causing this, turned it off and on again, and now it works. Technology!
• Some people were seeing sidebar icons from other teams they were signed into instead of the icons they were expecting. They will now show correctly.
• Any keyboard and cursor actions you may have experienced behaving badly have been shown the error of their ways.
Ratings and Reviews
This is a game changer for my digital marketing agency. We use it every day and a lot of my clients are now using it too. I love all the free features it comes with but it be great if I have more privacy features for my team and clients. Because each user has a profile with contact details, it prevents me from mixing my teams together with other teams and clients. I have to create several Slack accounts for different teams/clients. I don't need my clients contacting everyone directly or vise versa. For paid, because I work with such a large team it would be too expensive to upgrade. But if I could pay a flat fee $20 up $50 a month just for that feature (ideally $25) I would pay to keep my team's contact details private and limit use of DM between each other and clients so I can add clients and team members to one channel and limit what my clients can do and DM. To pay per account is not realistiic, it's way too many people. Please add this feature it would be so great and I would pay a flat fee for it! :) I'm still giving 5 stars because the value deserves it. This would just take it to the next level.
Good but could be great :)
Like this chat app a lot. Saves me a lot of time with its built-in features as well as the available integrations. Also a big fan of the styling, makes work chat less boring!
However, noticed with recent update that the "Slack Helper" processes are chugging CPU time, so much so that the fans on my top-spec Macbook Pro run on medium to high. Didn’t have this issue before so I’m sure this is an optimization they just need to make.
One thing I would LOVE to see is the ability to “sleep” a group, so that it didn’t have to be always running in the background. For someone like me, who uses Slack for 9 different groups, having each of those chats actively run leads to each spinning up a Slack Helper process that consumes a fair amount of CPU. Would love to be able to “sleep” less important chats e.g. disable background updates for those groups until I explicitly “un-sleep” it. This would primarily be used for chats of lower priority than others.
Developer Response ,
Interesting idea about "sleeping" a workspace! You've given us some great food for thought here— thanks for sharing this with us!
Poorly defined interface
Themes are way to limited, you can only adjust the color of the sidebar. I just read a post where the dev team said they had to make hard choices about slack and that allowing for a wide selection of themes didn’t make the cut. Fortunately, there are plenty other chat tool dev teams out there that have figured out how to customize their interface, so there are choices.
Threading is terrible. I’ve yet to see a team that is able to be disciplined enough to put every message into the appropriate thread for the entire discussion. Give us an option to drag it a message into a thread and add it to the discussion. Even when a thread is on going, it is buried in the initial thread with the responses tracker, making the discussion difficult to follow, especially if you are in several discussions at once. I understand that that’s probably what the All Threads is intended to cure, but that just becomes a long running mess of a discussion as well.
Developer Response ,
Thank you for taking the time to share with us, we appreciate your honest feedback and understand your frustration. Please be assured feedback is shared with our team for future consideration.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.