By The Slate Group, LLC
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
Enjoy Slate, the award-winning daily online magazine, on iPhone and iPad. Slate’s wry, insightful reporting and commentary on politics, news, and culture is now available in an application designed to optimize your mobile and tablet reading, listening, and viewing experience. The app offers a clean, easy-to-use interface and includes Slate articles, blogs, podcasts, and videos.
- Access to the latest Slate articles and blogs, including Slate’s popular political and legal commentary, movie and television reviews, and Dear Prudence.
- Slate’s popular daily podcasts, including the Political Gabfest, the Culture Gabfest, and The Gist. The app allows users to play podcasts in the background while browsing other content.
- A home screen designed to showcase Slate’s top stories while allowing readers to browse the most recent and most popular stories.
- Tools that let users share Slate stories and features via e-mail, Twitter, Facebook, and SMS.
- Our membership product, Slate Plus is now available via in app purchase.
The app is free to download, however we do display advertisements within the app. Additionally we offer the ability to log in to your existing Slate Plus account or purchase a new Slate Plus account through the in app purchases. Your Slate Plus account can be used on your iOS devices as well as our website. To use your Slate Plus subscription on other devices you must create an account after completing your purchase. You can always create an account at a later time if you choose not to do so initially after your purchase.
With your Slate Plus subscription, you'll receive:
- Access to all Slate Plus content
- An ad-free experience
By creating an optional account you’ll also receive:
- Single-page articles
- In-page commenting
- Bonus podcast segments
- Early release, member-only and ad-free podcasts
- Access to Slatesters
- Access to premium seating at our live events
- Early access to and 30% off tickets to our live events
Slate Plus Subscription details:
There are two subscription option available for purchase: $4.99 per month and $49.99 per year (Save 17% with the annual) plan. New content is continuously being published by our writers. Your account will automatically renew at the end of each month or year depending on your subscription. Payment will be charged to your iTunes account at confirmation of purchase. Subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period. You can manage your subscription and auto-renewal may be turned off by going to user account settings after purchase. No cancellation of the current subscription is allowed during active subscription period.
For additional information regarding Slate Plus please see our FAQ:
For additional information regarding auto renewal settings please refer to this link:
We are always looking to improve our applications. Please send your thoughts and suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
What's New in Version 5.3
- You can now copy paragraphs of text in our articles
- When you tweet or email, we'll autofill the headline
- Some small fixes for making sure your saved article stay intact when updating app versions
- A couple small updates for iOS 11
As always, email email@example.com with questions, suggestions, and issues. If you like the app, please leave us a positive review in the App Store.
Thanks for reading and listening.
Repeat repeat repeat
Slate’s content is great, but the app has a critical bug. There’s a handful of five or six stories that remain “stuck” in the news feed. You know the ones — “Articles of Impeachment for Trump”, “President Calls Mexico to Complain About ‘Bad Hombres’”, etc. They show up over and over and OVER, and it isn’t until you scroll past them and then back that you see the articles that are supposed to be there. This has been going on for a while now, and it’s very annoying.
Not really usable
For some reason this app (v5.3) limits you to seeing less than a day's worth of Slate. I use the "Recent" tab and wanted to go back to the last story I read but couldn't. Fortunately the old (no obvious version #) app didn't get deleted so I still have access to Slate content but it isn't compatible with iOS 11 so I'll lose it when I upgrade.
Browser access is the only backup so goodbye Slate on iPad.
Sorry to give you one star but I need to get your attention to fix a bug. After installing iOS 11.0.2 Slate app doesn’t stay open.
Loved previous versions of the app, love the content but unusable in its current unstable category condition. I realize this could also be an iOS issue but no way of knowing.
- Category: News
- Updated: Sep 25, 2017
- Version: 5.3
- Size: 48.5 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: The Slate Group, LLC
- Slate is published by The Slate Group, a Graham Holdings Company. All contents © 2016 The Slate Group LLC. All rights reserved.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.Apple TV: Yes
Top In-App Purchases
- Slate Plus$4.99
- Slate Plus$48.99