Enjoy Slate, the award-winning daily online magazine, on iPhone and iPad. Slate’s wry, insightful reporting and commentary on politics, news, and culture is now available in an application designed to optimize your mobile and tablet reading, listening, and viewing experience. The app offers a clean, easy-to-use interface and includes Slate articles, blogs, podcasts, and videos.
- Access to the latest Slate articles and blogs, including Slate’s popular political and legal commentary, movie and television reviews, and Dear Prudence.
- Slate’s popular daily podcasts, including the Political Gabfest, the Culture Gabfest, The Gist and Slow Burn. The app allows users to play podcasts in the background while browsing other content.
- A home screen designed to showcase Slate’s top stories while allowing readers to browse the most recent and most popular stories.
- Tools that let users share Slate stories and features via e-mail, Twitter, Facebook, and SMS.
- Our membership product, Slate Plus is now available via in app purchase.
The app is free to download, however we do display advertisements within the app. Additionally we offer the ability to log in to your existing Slate Plus account or purchase a new Slate Plus account through the in app purchases. Your Slate Plus account can be used on your iOS devices as well as our website. To use your Slate Plus subscription on other devices you must create an account after completing your purchase. You can always create an account at a later time if you choose not to do so initially after your purchase.
With your Slate Plus subscription, you'll receive:
- Access to all Slate Plus content
- An ad-free experience
By creating an optional account you’ll also receive:
- Single-page articles
- In-page commenting
- Bonus podcast segments
- Early release, member-only and ad-free podcasts
- Access to Slatesters
- Access to premium seating at our live events
- Early access to and 30% off tickets to our live events
Slate Plus Subscription details:
There are two subscription option available for purchase: $4.99 per month and $49.99 per year (Save 17% with the annual) plan. New content is continuously being published by our writers. Your account will automatically renew at the end of each month or year depending on your subscription. Payment will be charged to your iTunes account at confirmation of purchase. Subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period. You can manage your subscription and auto-renewal may be turned off by going to user account settings after purchase. No cancellation of the current subscription is allowed during active subscription period.
For additional information regarding Slate Plus please see our FAQ:
For additional information regarding auto renewal settings please refer to this link:
We are always looking to improve our applications. Please send your thoughts and suggestions to email@example.com.
- Minor bug fixes and enhancements
Ratings and Reviews
Ridiculously hard to navigate
Search NEVER comes up with Slow Burn when I search for Slow Burn. It pulls up all of these totally irrelevant articles. why can’t there just be a list in alphabetical order of all the podcasts?? And why can’t I figure out, as a Slate+ subscriber, how to listen to commercial free podcasts? I will probably figure all of this out eventually but it makes me mad that I HAVE to figure it out instead of it just being a straight-forward app to navigate.
Hate new ads with sound
I have always enjoyed Slate’s reporting and content. Until recently, the app had a few bugs or glitches, but I could usually restart the app and continue to read articles. Today, I open my app and there are now ads with sound that play even when my phone is on silent mode. This will prevent me from reading while at work or other situations where quiet is necessary. A disappointing development.
Slate is excellent!
I appreciate a diverse news source that allows expression of a wide variety of opinions. So many great podcasts that I joined Slate plus and now hardly listen to any podcast app... keep up the great work!
- The Slate Group, LLC
- 59.7 MB
- Requires iOS 9.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. Apple TV.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- Slate is published by The Slate Group, a Graham Holdings Company. All contents © 2016 The Slate Group LLC. All rights reserved.
- In-App Purchases
- Slate Plus $5.99
- Slate Plus $58.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.