Enjoy Slate, the award-winning daily online magazine, on iPhone and iPad. Slate’s wry, insightful reporting and commentary on politics, news, and culture is now available in an application designed to optimize your mobile and tablet reading, listening, and viewing experience. The app offers a clean, easy-to-use interface and includes Slate articles, blogs, podcasts, and videos.
- Access to the latest Slate articles and blogs, including Slate’s popular political and legal commentary, movie and television reviews, and Dear Prudence.
- Slate’s popular daily podcasts, including the Political Gabfest, the Culture Gabfest, The Gist and Slow Burn. The app allows users to play podcasts in the background while browsing other content.
- A home screen designed to showcase Slate’s top stories while allowing readers to browse the most recent and most popular stories.
- Tools that let users share Slate stories and features via e-mail, Twitter, Facebook, and SMS.
- Our membership product, Slate Plus is now available via in app purchase.
The app is free to download, however we do display advertisements within the app. Additionally we offer the ability to log in to your existing Slate Plus account or purchase a new Slate Plus account through the in app purchases. Your Slate Plus account can be used on your iOS devices as well as our website. To use your Slate Plus subscription on other devices you must create an account after completing your purchase. You can always create an account at a later time if you choose not to do so initially after your purchase.
With your Slate Plus subscription, you'll receive:
- Access to all Slate Plus content
- An ad-free experience
By creating an optional account you’ll also receive:
- Single-page articles
- In-page commenting
- Bonus podcast segments
- Early release, member-only and ad-free podcasts
- Access to Slatesters
- Access to premium seating at our live events
- Early access to and 30% off tickets to our live events
Slate Plus Subscription details:
There are two subscription option available for purchase: $5.99 per month and $58.99 per year (Save 17% with the annual) plan. New content is continuously being published by our writers. Your account will automatically renew at the end of each month or year depending on your subscription. Payment will be charged to your iTunes account at confirmation of purchase. Subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period. You can manage your subscription and auto-renewal may be turned off by going to user account settings after purchase. No cancellation of the current subscription is allowed during active subscription period. Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when the user purchases a subscription to that publication, where applicable.
For additional information regarding Slate Plus please see our FAQ:
For additional information regarding auto renewal settings please refer to this link:
We are always looking to improve our applications. Please send your thoughts and suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This is important!
We've added a headphones icon to the top right area of the app that will direct you to the podcasts section. This replaces the need to navigate to the Podcasts section then tap ALL SHOWS. We hope it gets you to your Slate podcasts a little bit faster and easier.
Note: all of the audio playing functionality for Slate Plus members and non-members stays the same. You can continue to find show notes by tapping into each episode.
Ratings and Reviews
Commenting still not working. I tried submitting a comment and I received an error message. This was after enduring a so-called Christmas Music Trivia podcast that turned out to be a discussion of Britney Spears. That was my last attempt to listen to that podcast. Also, I’m an avid user of the Slate podcasts and wish the app would let me set a preference to opening into podcasts instead of written pieces.
All the news that doesn’t see print
You can count on slate for unusual topics or unusual focus on the unusual topics. The app has never crashed has a simple transparent interface and downloads quickly wherever you are.
Causes phone to get hot, missing link
Reading some article causes phone to heat up hot as if some process was running the hard drive past optimal. I shut off all apps then updated this app, and tried again, with only this app open, same problem.
Slate news quiz links don’t show up on app for iPhone.
- The Slate Group, LLC
- 58.1 MB
- Requires iOS 9.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. Apple TV.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- Slate is published by The Slate Group, a Graham Holdings Company. All contents © 2016 The Slate Group LLC. All rights reserved.
- In-App Purchases
- Slate Plus $5.99
- Slate Plus $58.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.