Small Talk Chinese: Mandarin Chinese Language Learning
By Small Talk Chinese
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Small Talk Chinese is the first app that uses real dialogues to help you express yourself naturally - like a native. Learn through interactive conversations complete with Chinese audio, English translations and popup character definitions. Test your newfound Chinese through fill-in-the-blank and listening comprehension exercises.
Unlike simply memorizing words out of context, using Small Talk Chinese allows you to engage new vocabulary embedded in natural speech. The punchy dialogues covering practical topics are handpicked to spice up your Chinese learning experience.
- Pop-up definitions for every word. Tap any character to view the pinyin and English definitions.
- Native Chinese audio clips for each individual line of dialogue. All the Chinese is spoken at actual speed to acclimate you to the pace of real Chinese.
- English translations for every Chinese sentence. Each line of Chinese has an English translation (not a machine translation) that captures the spirit of the Chinese.
- Fill-in-the-blank exercises. These exercises extract key vocabulary words from each dialogue to test whether you can fit them back into the conversation. Related vocabulary and phrases are tested together to encourage recall of frequently associated words.
- Listening comprehension tests. These tests require you to not only recognize full lines of spoken Chinese, but also to know how they are translated into English.
... And that's just the beginning. We have lots of great features we're working on for future versions, such as custom vocabulary lists and more exercises.
App Table of Contents:
Lesson - Dating
Topics: First Encounters; Getting to Know Each Other; Discussing Your Job Status; Friend Vetting; Sweet Talk; Arguments; Breaking Up; Apologizing
Lesson - Travel
Topics: Getting a Ticket; En Route; Accommodations; Getting Directions; Asking for Recommendations
Lesson - Fashion
Topics: Types of Style; The Fitting Room; Casual Clothes; Formal Attire; Shoes & Accessories; Undergarments
Lesson - Health
Topics: Illness Symptoms; Injuries; Nutrition and Dieting; Working Out
Lesson - Work
Topics: Job Hunting; Compensation; Bosses; Enjoying Work; Stressing Out; Doing a Good Job; Promotions
Lesson - Emotions
Topics: Love; Joy; Excitement; Sadness; Anger; Fear; Guilt; Disgust
This app is best suited for a Chinese learner with at least one year equivalent of college-level Chinese. Because we use real conversations, difficulty varies depending on the topic. For example, just as it is in English - giving directions is generally easier than expressing feelings of depression.
For intrepid beginners, we suggest starting with the Dating and Travel lessons.
Full App Stats:
2,231 lines of Chinese
Worst Chinese language app ever. Dialogue written by a pre-pubescent teen, voice actors talk wayyyyy too fast and impossible to actually learn anything.
App is alright
Pros:nice full dialogue, fill in the blank, and listening tests are good
Cons- lack of pinyin for novice readers, and speakers talk way too fast to full comprehend