PRO: The paid version plays stronger chess than the free version and it has no limitations such as app-credits and limited features. The Pro version offers more and better.
****** Please report any crash or question you have to firstname.lastname@example.org ******
SmallChess is a high quality and brilliantly presented chess playing app for iOS. It's suitable for everyone: from beginners to the world champion. You'll improve your chess with a very strong chess engine (ELO 3000+). An ultimate chess master in your pocket!
Improve your chess with our innovative guess-the-move. You'll partner with Magnus Carlsen and Bobby Fischer! You'll also meet Jose Raul Capablanca, Judit Polgar, Garry Kasparov and more!
You can share your chess games with Twitter, Facebook and SMS!
SmallChess is your best compatriot and trainer.
- Play against the computer or yourself
- Play against ELO rating from 500 to 3000!
- Play online chess with FICS
- Tablebase database
- Opening database
- Save and load PGN games. You can also import games from Safari and emails.
- Support PGN variations and annotations
- A massive chess database, played by some of the best chess players in history
- Annotated chess games
- Nine coaching styles, it's totally amazing!
- Save your favourite chess positions to iPhoto or our in-app chess album!
- Share your favourite chess positions with SMS, Email, Twitter and Facebook!
- 10+ visual themes and 30+ sound effects
- Use guess-the-move training to improve your chess. You'll partner with Magnus Carlsen and Bobby Fischer against some of the strongest chess grandmasters.
- Analyse your games with our world-class chess engine
- Chess cartoons, trivia, puzzles, quizzes, and more!
- Chess puzzles: Think Like A Grandmaster and Maths Genius.
- Beauty of Chess.
- Interactive chess experience.
If you ever have a problem with the app or you have a suggestion, please write an email to us. Alternatively, follow us on Facebook or Twitter. You can find our contact details on our website. We answer all enquiries promptly.
*--- Please leave a review if you like this app ---*
Small is Power. You'll be surprised.
Fixed fantasy chess pieces
Ratings and Reviews
Love The Countless Features (Big&Small)
It’s now my favorite chess playing app, and I have about a dozen. I even like it over its cousin SmallFish. It is slightly hobbled versus its cousin (30 ply depth vs no limit, plus end game tables cannot be expanded to match SmallFish). After using it for an hour, I immediately upgraded to the PRO version!
How it presents a game is so much more fun and interesting than cousin SmallFish. Adding additional PGN games/files to its database is marvelously easy from Dropbox using Export. All my personal tournament games are now so easy to access to view/analyze.
One feature I would enjoy being added is “swiping” with your finger to move through a game being analyzed, as seen in other chess apps.
Very useful chess app, one of only a couple that I turn to. The second mini analysis board is particularly awesome.
My reason for not giving 5 stars? When loading a PGN with multiple games, there doesn’t appear to be a simple way to load the next game in the series with a simple tap. In my case, when following along with a book and a PGN with say 300 games within the file, it becomes hugely inefficient having to push load and manually scrolling to find the next game. If the developers are reading this review, please add this functionality or tell me if I am missing a simple way to accomplish this.
Developer Response ,
I'm reading it. Do you mean like a search button?
A great chess app
There are several great chess apps for the iPhone and iPads. This is one of them. While the other great ones might be stronger (and some are, such as Stockfish), SmallFish has one feature that is superior to all the others: the set-up feature. On all the other great chess apps, trying to set up a position is frustratingly futile. (After carefully setting up a few pieces, they disappear from the squares, or the set-up mechanism quits before the set-up is completed.) In short, I like this app a lot. If future updates make it stronger, all the better.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.