By Ted Wong
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
*** You might want to try the free version before upgrading to the full version. ***
SmallChess is a high quality and brilliantly presented chess playing app for iOS. It's suitable for everyone: from beginners to the world champion. You'll improve your chess with a very strong chess engine (ELO 3000+). An ultimate chess master in your pocket!
Feeling bored? SmallChess supports online multiplayer (FICS), you'll be able to find someone to play and beat with our well-designed online matching. Don't forget to analyse your games with SmallChess for improvements!
Improve your chess with our innovative guess-the-move. You'll partner with Magnus Carlsen and Bobby Fischer! You'll also meet Jose Raul Capablanca, Judit Polgar, Garry Kasparov and more!
You can share your chess games with Twitter, Facebook and SMS!
SmallChess is your best compatriot and trainer.
- Play against the computer or yourself
- Play against ELO rating from 500 to 3000!
- Online multiplayer via the Free Internet Chess Server (FICS)
- Tablebase database
- Opening database
- Save and load PGN games. You can also import games from Safari and emails.
- Support PGN variations and annotations
- A massive chess database, played by some of the best chess players in history
- Annotated chess games
- Nine coaching styles, it's totally amazing!
- Save your favourite chess positions to iPhoto or our in-app chess album!
- Share your favourite chess positions with SMS, Email, Twitter and Facebook!
- 10+ visual themes and 30+ sound effects
- Use guess-the-move training to improve your chess. You'll partner with Magnus Carlsen and Bobby Fischer against some of the strongest chess grandmasters.
- Analyse your games with our world-class chess engine
- Chess cartoons, trivia, puzzles, quizzes, and more!
- Chess puzzles: Think Like A Grandmaster and Maths Genius.
- Beauty of Chess.
- Interactive chess experience.
*--- Please leave a review if you like this app ---*
Small is Power. You'll be surprised.
What's New in Version 4.1
- Fixed MultiPV Analysis
- Fixed annotation not available when playing against the computer
- Fixed arrows should shown even coaching is disabled
- Fixed FICS checkmate
Great app, and more up to date
I have the other big name chess apps, including ones that cost twice as much, and this is the best one out right now. They all have great high ELO chess engines so you may be wondering that the difference is. The improvements are mainly in three areas. Visually, the flattened design looks much better than the out dated 3d pieces of the other apps, and the user interface is easy to use. Second, this app is still being updated. Some of the others haven't been updated in a long time and so if you want to see who won a game played by M. Carlsen, you will be out of luck. And last, when I had a suggestion, the developer responded in about a day. Good luck getting the others to respond at all.
I say support small developers and buy the app.
Strong and elegant!
I use several chess apps and I really like the display on this one. Strong chess engine and plenty of features without unnecessary bloat. Three stand out in my opinion. One you can play online with FICS, two you can save, export and load pgn files and three analysis from pgn files is displayed (this is harder to find in other apps). Could be easy to spend twice as much on another app and get half the value and usability of this one. Look forward to use and updates!!
I have tried a great many apps and this one tops the list. I recommend any of Mr. Wong's chess apps. I even prefer this app on my tiny iPhone 5s over anything on my Nexus 7 including Shredder
- Category: Games
- Updated: Jun 06, 2014
- Version: 4.1
- Size: 46.0 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Ted Wong
- © SmallChess
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.