2014 award winner of Best Concert Band/Orchestra Teaching Tool by School and Band Orchestra magazine, SmartMusic is interactive music learning software that pushes you to play your best. This app gives you unlimited access to SmartMusic's extensive repertoire library, including over 50 method books, nearly 50,000 skill building exercises and a combined 22,000+ solo and ensemble titles by major publishers such as Alfred, Barnhouse, Belwin, Hal Leonard, Kjos, and others. Full repertoire access requires a SmartMusic account with access to a valid subscription.
This app combines many of the great practice features available through your SmartMusic subscription with the convenience of your iPad. What can you do with SmartMusic?
• Open sheet music on screen for 22,000+ solo and ensemble titles, including repertoire for brass, percussion, strings, woodwinds and voice with accompaniment.
• Practice with over 70 method books and nearly 50,000 skill building exercises.
• Record and listen to your performance.
• See your successes and areas for improvement, and loop difficult passages.
• If used in an educational setting, students can receive, review, and submit SmartMusic-created assignments as well as custom assignments made with Finale-created accompaniments and MP3 audio files.
Practice more, build skills, and gain confidence with SmartMusic. Play along with musical accompaniment while SmartMusic scores your performance. Download the SmartMusic app today and begin to experience the power of interactive practice.
• Added an instrument selection to address problem where some assignments could not be opened by students.
• Added Retina display support for 4th Gen iPads.
• Fixed a problem where on-screen keyboard covered up errors during login.
• Fixed a problem with start and stop points after changing your instrument.
• Fixed a problem where stop and stop points were not updated when listening to takes.
• Fixed a transposition bug with Marimba and Vibraphone in exercises.
• Fixed the app from hanging when changing instrument part back to the default.
• Fixed the crash when tapping stop take in some situations.
• Fixed issues around transposition and drawing of SMPX assignments.
• Misc. interface improvements for the iPad Pro
Ratings and Reviews
Great concept, poorly executed
I love that SmartMusic gives me access to such a vast library of music, even if it is mostly modern arrangements. I love that I get to play with a band, even when I'm by myself. I love it on the PC, that is, not this app. With the speakers at maximum volume, I hear the starting metronome clicks painfully loud but barely hear the band. That would be bearable if not for the horrid, awful, terrible, misleading green bar that is supposed to give me a visual indication of the beat (you know, like the conductor we would have in a real band), but it is always a fraction of a beat behind, sometimes more than a full beat behind in a fast tempo. The only way to stay on beat is to close my eyes to tune out the green bar...but then I can't see the notes! This is true on the PC version too but more bearable because I can crank up the volume of the accompaniment and hear the beat. Much as it pains me, I can't recommend this app and I suggest that music teachers stop requiring it. It only teaches the bad habit of racing ahead of the conducted beat.
Bad sound detection
Smart music has a wide variety of songs to play/ try out. My music teacher uses this app, and I have tried out a few myself. The only problem I have, is that it can’t detect the right notes. A majority of my friends who use this, reported the same problem. When I would play, it would say I played the wrong notes. I even showed this to my music teacher and he said it was the right notes I was playing. Overall, it is an okay app, but I feel that it is not worth it. For the price you pay on the subscription you should expect something better, and it probably isn’t here.
I love the concept! I'm an educator and have been using Smartmusic forever. I still like the PC version better than the iPad. It's easier to navigate and more accurate. I don't do any assignments from the iPad. I wish there were still a grade book available on iPad. The app still needs some improvements, but I live the concepts and my students really enjoy the the instant feedback and self motivation.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.