By Smithsonian Networks
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
Keep up with Smithsonian Channel's original series and documentaries, and explore our vast video library with our award-winning universal iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch app. A Webby Award winner and SXSW Interactive Award nominee, this app introduces a brand new way to watch, find, and explore over 1,000 short videos and free full episodes. It also allows you to personalize your own version of the channel by selecting your favorite topics. Here, discovery is at your fingertips, and curiosity is rewarded. And with constant additions to our library, you're guaranteed to find something new every time you open this app.
If you're having technical difficulties, email email@example.com to get in touch with our team.
- NEW: Resume Watching - easily pick up your previously watched videos from where you left off
- Chromecast support
- Picture in Picture support
- Search and Core Spotlight Integration
- CloudKit Synchronization
- Apple Watch App for iPhone
- A new vibrant and intuitive design to enhance user experience
- Thousands of free videos
- Rotating selection of free full episodes
- Quick Picks section that individually selects videos for you based on your interests
- Artifacts quiz section where you can put your knowledge to the test (iPhone)
- Smithsonian Channel "Video of the Day" widget you can add to your device’s Today View
- "Skip back" button that allows users to instantly rewind any video 15 seconds at a time.
- New curated playlists, debuted weekly
- Smart auto-play mode to continuously play related videos
- Ability to favorite videos
- Facebook, Twitter, and email sharing capabilities
- AirPlay integration
- Channel Finder to check on-air availability
- Notifications for new and featured content
- On-air schedule
What's New in Version 4.0.1
- miscellaneous bug fixes
I like that there is no commercial interruptions. I have limited data.
I like the app because there's no commercial interruptions.
When you have limited data commercials take up your data I don't think is fair.
Do you anything I wish you would change is to allow for videos or shows to be viewed like the 747 video for instance.
You say when there going to be aired, but you won't allow it to be watch and a year ago I watched it on your app.
Why short disjoint snippets?
I have never enjoyed the app much, because the airing of the full stories are apparently not available, but there are multitudes of these little snippets on this topic or that. Enough to get one's interest, but rarely enough to tell the whole story.
Instead after watching one of these there doesn't seem to be anywhere to go to find the rest. After watching one of these I often am left with the feeling of being abandoned by the app.
Maybe there is a way around this, but I have never found it.
Not a big fan
While i absolutely love Smithsonian channel on my tv i feel annoyed with the app. Very limited full episodes and not a lot of access to archived episodes. i recently started watching a full episode of a show only to find when i went back the next day to finish it was taken out. No way to get it back .. too bad i didn’t know that it would go away beforehand...i think you can do better guys
- Category: Entertainment
- Updated: Aug 09, 2017
- Version: 4.0.1
- Size: 81.0 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Language: English
- Seller: Smithsonian Networks Inc.
- © 2010-2017 SNI L.L.C. All Rights reserved. Smithsonian Channel is a trademark of Smithsonian Institution.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.Apple TV: Yes