By Smithsonian Networks
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Keep up with Smithsonian Channel's original series and documentaries, and explore our vast video library with our award-winning universal iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch app. A 2015 Webby Award winner and previous SXSW Interactive Award nominee, this improved app introduces a brand new way to watch, find, and explore over 1,000 short videos and free full episodes. It also allows you to personalize your own version of the channel by selecting your favorite topics. Here, discovery is at your fingertips, and curiosity is rewarded. And with constant additions to our library, you're guaranteed to find something new every time you open this app.
If you're having technical difficulties, email email@example.com to get in touch with our team.
- Chromecast support
- Picture in Picture support (iOS 9)
- Search and Core Spotlight Integration (iOS 9)
- CloudKit Synchronization (iOS 9)
- Apple Watch App for iPhone
- A new vibrant and intuitive design to enhance user experience
- Thousands of free videos
- Rotating selection of free full episodes
- Create your own "channel" with videos about your favorite topics (iPad)
- Quick Picks section that individually selects videos for you based on your interests (iPhone)
- Artifacts quiz section where you can put your knowledge to the test (iPhone)
- Smithsonian Channel “Video of the Day” widget you can add to your device’s Today View (iOS8)
- “Skip back” button that allows users to instantly rewind any video 15 seconds at a time. (iOS8)
- New curated playlists, debuted weekly
- Smart auto-play mode to continuously play related videos
- Ability to favorite videos
- Facebook, Twitter, and email sharing capabilities
- AirPlay integration
- Channel Finder to check on-air availability
- Notifications for new and featured content
- On-air schedule
What's New in Version 3.3.0
Great new features on supported devices:
- Picture in Picture: continue watching our videos while browsing your iOS device outside of our app
- Search and Core Spotlight Integration: search for shows and videos featured in our app using iOS's standard Spotlight search.
- CloudKit Synchronization: store your Favorites and Recently Watched in your iCloud account--then access them on any of your iCloud-linked supported devices.
- Video Player Updates: experience increased speed, efficiency and performance
- Handoff Support for iPhone to/from iPad: now you can use the Smithsonian Channel app on one iOS device, then continue the experience on another iOS device
- Miscellaneous performance enhancements
Best app I have.
I truly enjoy the wonderful, enlightening stories and features the Smithsonian produces. The longer features are extremely informative and entertaining. Have some time to kill? Get out your headphones and watch shot documentaries while waiting for whatever.
I love the shows, especially Aerial America. Thank you for not having us sign in with a cable provider. However, every few minutes there is a delay and "loading video" pops up. Is this a frequent occurrence?
Entertaining, educational, visually stunning video, with new items added frequently-you never have to watch the same thing twice!
- Category: Entertainment
- Updated: Jul 07, 2016
- Version: 3.3.0
- Size: 70.5 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Language: English
- Seller: Smithsonian Networks Inc.
- © 2010-2015 SNI L.L.C. All Rights reserved. Smithsonian Channel is a trademark of Smithsonian Institution.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.Apple TV: Yes