Keep up with Smithsonian Channel's original series and documentaries, and explore our vast video library with our award-winning universal iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch app. A Webby Award winner and SXSW Interactive Award nominee, this app introduces a brand new way to watch, find, and explore over 1,000 short videos and free full episodes. It also allows you to personalize your own version of the channel by selecting your favorite topics. Here, discovery is at your fingertips, and curiosity is rewarded. And with constant additions to our library, you're guaranteed to find something new every time you open this app.
If you're having technical difficulties, email firstname.lastname@example.org to get in touch with our team.
- NEW: Resume Watching - easily pick up your previously watched videos from where you left off
- Chromecast support
- Picture in Picture support
- Search and Core Spotlight Integration
- CloudKit Synchronization
- Apple Watch App for iPhone
- A new vibrant and intuitive design to enhance user experience
- Thousands of free videos
- Rotating selection of free full episodes
- Quick Picks section that individually selects videos for you based on your interests
- Artifacts quiz section where you can put your knowledge to the test (iPhone)
- Smithsonian Channel "Video of the Day" widget you can add to your device’s Today View
- "Skip back" button that allows users to instantly rewind any video 15 seconds at a time.
- New curated playlists, debuted weekly
- Smart auto-play mode to continuously play related videos
- Ability to favorite videos
- Facebook, Twitter, and email sharing capabilities
- AirPlay integration
- Channel Finder to check on-air availability
- Notifications for new and featured content
- On-air schedule
- miscellaneous bug fixes
Ratings and Reviews
I like that there is no commercial interruptions. I have limited data.
I like the app because there's no commercial interruptions.
When you have limited data commercials take up your data I don't think is fair.
Do you anything I wish you would change is to allow for videos or shows to be viewed like the 747 video for instance.
You say when there going to be aired, but you won't allow it to be watch and a year ago I watched it on your app.
I thoroughly enjoy the app.
However. The Concorde Disaster version is very wrong and subjective. ACCORDING TO THE SHOW, the cause of the accident and subsequent grounding of the entire fleet is evidently wrong. Concorde hit a piece of debris in the runway causing the crash. Although true it was absolutely no reason for grounding the fleet. The debris was no fault of the Concorde and surely no reason to ground the fleet. It is similar to a car hitting a nail or something on a highway resulting in a flat tire and possible deadly accident and random.
If it had happened to another fleet, should it be grounded FOREVER? Great film but totally ridiculous assumption. Sure sounds like internal politics.
Given the extremely high cost to the passenger, why not perform a inexpensive runway sweep of each flight?
Why short disjoint snippets?
I have never enjoyed the app much, because the airing of the full stories are apparently not available, but there are multitudes of these little snippets on this topic or that. Enough to get one's interest, but rarely enough to tell the whole story.
Instead after watching one of these there doesn't seem to be anywhere to go to find the rest. After watching one of these I often am left with the feeling of being abandoned by the app.
Maybe there is a way around this, but I have never found it.
- Smithsonian Networks Inc.
- 81 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. Apple TV.
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Horror/Fear Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Simulated Gambling
- Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence
- © 2010-2017 SNI L.L.C. All Rights reserved. Smithsonian Channel is a trademark of Smithsonian Institution.
Get all of your passes, tickets, cards, and more in one place.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.