So You Want To Fly Helicopters
By Sporty's Pilot Shop
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
This comprehensive training course will thoroughly prepare you for the thrills and challenges of helicopter flying. In addition to 90 minutes of exciting video, this app also includes the FAA’s Rotorcraft Flying Handbook, the complete Helicopter Practical Test Standards and a 30-question review quiz.
Using a visual menu system, So You Want to Fly Helicopters is broken down into 14 individual video segments for quick review. In all, this app contains over 90 minutes of engaging 3D animations and in-flight video from the award-winning team at Sporty’s Academy. You’ll experience firsthand the sights and sounds of a Robinson R22 and R44, Schweizer 269 and Bell 206 JetRanger.
Also included is a review quiz based on content from the videos. After finishing the questions you’ll receive instant feedback on your score and be able to review missed questions. There’s even a way to quickly review the video segment from which the question was taken!
So You Want to Fly Helicopters includes several FAA publications for additional study – complete with a table of contents for quick access to each page:
• Helicopter Flying Handbook (198 pages)
• Private Pilot Helicopter PTS (85 pages)
• Advisory Circular 90-87 – Helicopter Dynamic Rollover (6 pages)
• Advisory Circular 90-95 – Lost of Tail Rotor Effectiveness (16 pages)
The video segments cover the following topics:
• Helicopter Basics
--Helicopter controls (cyclic, collective, throttle & anti-torque pedals)
--Pilot certification requirements
• Aerodynamics & Flight Operations
--Flight & engine instruments
--Retreating blade stall
--Dissymmetry of lift
--Rotor system variations
• Weight & Balance
• R22 Preflight
--Cockpit & exterior inspections
--Systems checks & teletemp
• Normal Procedures
--Taxiing (Surface, Air & Hover variations)
--Takeoff (Normal & Running)
--Approach & Landing
• Landing Variations
• Other Procedures
--Settling with power
--Traffic pattern operations
AirPlay functionality requires iOS 4.3 or higher and a 2nd Generation Apple TV.
AirPrint functionality requires iOS 4.2 or higher and an AirPrint-compatible printer.
FREE gift from Sporty's with download -- pilot's microfiber screen cleaning cloth (seriously, it's free!)
What's New in Version 2.2
• Video segments now stream on-demand, significantly reducing the app file size
• Video playback now supports picture in picture on compatible devices
• New download manager option allows you to download videos for offline viewing
• Very large reduction in app file size
• Compatibility updates for recent iOS changes
• Minor bug fixes
- Category: Education
- Updated: Nov 16, 2015
- Version: 2.2
- Size: 144 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Sporty's Pilot Shop
- © 2017, Sportsman's Market, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.