Howdy! ’sodes is a casual, cozy way to listen to the occasional podcast. There are no download queues or tricked-out audio features. Just tap a show, tap an episode, and listen.
● Don’t-have-to-think-about-it visual design. – Made for folks who want podcast listening to be a casual habit.
● No account required. – Everything happens right on your device.
● No downloads to manage*. – Tap an episode and it starts playing.
● Convenient home screen. – The “home” screen of the app has convenient access to your most favorite shows, in-progress episodes, and a few of the most recent unplayed episodes.
● Multiple color themes. – Switch from the Light to the Dark theme with a two finger swipe, like flicking off a light switch. Do it again to switch to the Campfire theme for ultra-low-light goodness (useful for moms ’n dads up at 3am rocking babies to sleep).
● Big, tappable buttons. – The player screen has extra large buttons with ample spacing. This should help anyone who has trouble tapping the right button in a hurry (walking, jogging, cooking, etc).
● Works with CarPlay. – Keep your eyes on the road while you listen to your favorite shows. Stay safe out there, folks.
● Drop the needle using Siri Shorcuts. – Play a specific podcast, or just play whatever's the most appropriate next thing to hear, by using a Siri Shortcut. Requires iOS 12.
● Keep Screen Unlocked – A special feature for commuters who can't use CarPlay: if you keep your phone plugged into a dashboard mount on long road trips, and you don’t have or can’t use Bluetooth controls, try enabling the “Keep Screen Unlocked” option in settings. This keeps your screen unlocked as long ’sodes is open AND it is playing (not paused) AND the device is connected to a charger. Why? Because then you can quickly pause or skip without fumbling to unlock your phone.
* ’sodes requires an internet connection in order to play audio. Once you start playing an episode, only the portions of audio data requested by the system will be downloaded. This data is stored temporarily on disk in order to limit network data usage and does not provide offline playback. Audio data is stashed in a directory that doesn't count against your iPhone’s local storage and which your iPhone manages for you automatically. ’sodes also periodically removes old audio data so the system doesn't have to.
• [New] Works with CarPlay! Connect your phone to a CarPlay-capable receiver in your vehicle and keep listening on the road.
• [New] Use Siri Shortcuts to play a certain show, or just play whatever is in progress or next across all your shows. Requires iOS 12.
• [Changed] Several small UI improvements and bug fixes.
Ratings and Reviews
Looks is all its got
While 'sodes is definitely one of the prettier podcast clients for the iPhone, the lack of some basic features makes it easily one of the worst podcast clients I've ever purchased.
Don't get me wrong, I am more than happy to sacrifice some features for a better design. That's why I was willing to spend $3 to try 'sodes. But, for example, the inability to mark all podcasts as played is inexcusable. It would take me hours - hours! - for me to go through each individual episode of some of the longer-running podcasts I listen to just to get it to the place where I'm at. Ain't nobody got time for that.
'Sodes should've never been released before it exited this (pretty) prototype status. A little late for that now though, so I hope the developer quickly starts adding basic feature like the one I mentioned above.
Edit: I can't tell if your reply is sarcasm or not, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. I really hope you did listen to my review and that you do implement a mark all as read feature (or something similar, like Apple Podcast's assumption that only the latest episode is unplayed when first subscribing to a podcast). As for the cost: if you want to be exact it's $3.02 with tax included. 🤑
Great review. One minor correction: ’sodes isn't three dollars, it's two dollars and ninety-nine cents.
App is great - feature request
Really great app. Great design and aesthetic. It is very easy to search podcasts and play episodes for a la carte listening. I enjoy being able to listen without the need of making a playlist or queue (these are features of almost every other app, and get in The way for me).
Feature request: I would really enjoy the ability to download 1-5 episodes for offline listening. Not being able to download prevents me from being able to use this app in any situation where I can’t stream well. Thanks!
Awesomely simple podcast player
I love how simple and intuitive the app is to use. And not having to worry about my podcasts eating a bunch of valuable space on my phone is great.
One feature request would be to be able to mark all episodes of a given podcast as finished. I’d rather not see a bunch of back-episodes pop up in the “unplayed” section even though I played them in another app.
- Nice Boy LLC
- 15.2 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- Infrequent/Mild Horror/Fear Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- © Nice Boy LLC
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.
Get things done within this app using just your voice.