What time is sunset today? Or sunrise tomorrow? When is the "magic hour" next March 20 in Paris? With Sol, you can check times and get reminders of solar events, at home or while traveling! Great for everyone looking to plan activities based on sunlight. Use it to remind you to walk the dog before dark, get up with the sun, or find golden hour time for that perfect photo.
Sol: Sun Clock is the Swiss-army knife of sunlight tools with a design inspired by the simplicity of the sundial. Use it to plan your day, guide natural sleep cycles, get the best light for outdoor photography, make sure animals or kids are safe inside before dark, or to map out the best times to go running or fishing.
* Be in tune: Sol will tell you when the golden hour is, how much sunlight you have left in the day or what time the next sunrise occurs.
* Look to the future, travel around the world: Sol lets you find sunlight information for any date, anywhere on earth.
* Find solar midnight and solar noon, and all three twilight (dawn and dusk) periods: astronomical twilight, nautical twilight, and civil twilight. Keep tabs on the next solstice and equinox.
* Reminders and Alarms: Use Sol as a natural alarm clock that you can set to any event (like sunset, golden hour or solar noon), and the alarm or reminder time will adjust gradually as the days change with the seasons.
* Automatic Location: Sol not only calculates the amount of daylight and sunrise and sunset times, but does so for any location in the world (both Northern and Southern hemispheres) by using your device's GPS... no network connection required.
* Other locations: Optionally, use the built-in map to choose any location in the world by moving the pin, or search using the name of any city.
* Optional location-aware alarms. Sol knows when you change with your location; and as you travel it will adjust any alarms you set relative to sunrise and sunset times. Create alarms for multiple locations around the world.
* Detailed almanac information: Useful information about the day's length, sun's azimuth and elevation, equinoxes and solstices, and a friendly glossary that explains all the terms.
Note: Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life. However, GPS runs in the background ONLY if you have set location-aware alarms.
The wheel now represents a full solar day for set location, which is not necessarily exactly 24.0 hours. The date bar now shows and sets the solar day for the location, not the clock time, which is shown separately and is independent from the solar day. The Almanac now shows solar day length and sun zenith at solar noon. Days with daylight saving time (DST) transitions will show the time change on the wheel. All known bugs were fixed, including those relating to using the forward and back arrows, daylight savings/summer time issues, and incorrect alarm times and repeat days. iPhone only: The info bar (under the date) now animates new information by default and remembers its state (double-tap to toggle). More information about this release can be read here: http://www.juggleware.com/blog/?p=776
Ratings and Reviews
This helps me schedule my work hours around daylight hours, which is a necessity for any full-time farmer.
I have set my civil twilight starts alarm in the morning so I can get up before the crack of dawn. I have also set the evening golden hour alarm to let me know when I've got to scurry to get things done.
Hello only had it two days, and this is already save me three hours. Great program!
I would love it if they had a paid version, like SOL pro, so I could set two alarms in the afternoon for siesta time, based upon the temperatures that I see on weather underground. The only thing that it's missing that I can think of -Custom cues set by the users.
ONE OF MY FAVORITE SOLAR APPS / CLOCK
This is a very well app that is graphically put together. I like to ability to alarm at twilights, mid-days and nights, rises and sets - and choosing either civil, nautical, astronomical settings, and alerting to the golden hour that are superb times for taking pictures!! A lot of movie directors (Clint Eastwood for instance) uses the suns natural, and color natural mode to emphasize scenes during the “golden hour”, as do many photographers.
I would recommend that they incorporate a lunar app also, along the same conceptual guidelines. There are a lot of apps in this category but none so well as this one. Fantastic!
Simple yet useful
A surprisingly useful little app. Find solar noon and apply sunblock before you cook. Use it to find the right time to take scenic photos. I imagine there are other uses as well. Simple to use also
2 years later. App is still under active development. The interface has been tweaked a bit to add some polish. Still very good at what it does. Sometimes an app doesn't need to have a million different functions. Simple can be awesome.
- Juggleware, LLC
- 39.1 MB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2011–2017 Juggleware LLC
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.