Solitaire City™ (Deluxe)
By Digital Smoke LLC
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Solitaire City™, an iPhone fave, is now available for Mac! Compete against players from all around the world and see your name and scores in lights on real-time, daily, weekly and champions leaderboards that are automatically synchronized with a central server.
Numerous game rules offer over 60 solitaire variations, including 12 variations of the classic Solitaire found on Windows, also known as Klondike, Spider One, Two and Four Suits, FreeCell (7 variations), Klondike (12), Demon (4), Poker Squares (4), Pyramid (4), Cribbage Squares (3), Golf (4), Casket (2), Alternations (4), Eliminator (3), Yukon (3), Tri-Peaks (2), Double Klondike (3) and Spiderette One, Two and Four Suits.
- 60 Solitaire variations including Classic Solitaire/Patience
- Huge jumbo sized cards
- Impressive graphical effects
- Multiple detailed card designs
- Unique scoring system
- Online hi-score tables (play offline too)
- Fun sound effects and sound themes
- Interactive training system teaches you as you play (no more boring rules to read!)
- Create your own sound themes
- Enticing background graphics
- Use your own JPEG images as a background
- Unlimited undos
- Serious addiction
What's New in Version 5.00
1) Six new fan games (Games menu / Fan Games) - Demon Fan, Three Shuffle and a Draw, Super Flower Garden, Shamrocks, La Belle Lucie and Fan.
Bug Fixes in v5.00:
1) Fixed a crash in FreeCell when moving a large column of cards with only one empty FreeCell.
2) The on/off state of the fireworks endings is now remembered correctly.
3) If you tried to start a new game from the hi-scores screen and the dialog box appeared that asked you whether you wanted training or not, the hi-scores scrolling cursor could appear making it difficult to click on a button.
4) Kings packed on Queens of the same suit couldn't be placed on an empty space in Yukon Rule 2.
This is one the best, or maybe even the best cardgame packages that I have ever owned. Although it does draw alot of power, I still play it for an hour or two at a time. I enjoy playing so much on my MacBook Pro that I also installed it on my Windows system.
I would recommend this above others that I have owned, and played, as it has many different games, and even different versions of the same game. As with most games, it does use much power, so most of the time I use it plugged in, and have never had a problem. Does it run hot? I have really nothing to compare it to, as most games do run hotter than most other software and use more power, my wife liked it so much that she even bought and installed it on her laptop. She also uses it quite a bit, but when not plugged in, it does run down fast. We have it both on Mac and Window operating systems, and it is about equal.
I would give it 3 stars because of the battery life, but as far as the games go, It deserves the rating of 5 stars.
Not good for Battery
My favorite Solitaire package, Solitaire City, also runs on the ipad and iPhone. I purchased this for my Macbook Air 13" and within 10 minutes of use the fan began to whir at full speed and the battery life went from 5 hrs to 1.24 hours…..not good for use while traveling. For whatever reason, this seems to be a processor hog. Too bad. I don't even like using it with the Air plugged in. The MBA gets hot and noisy. Looking into other solitaire games for MBA.
You can do better!
I love this game on my iphone and iPad, but the Mac version needs some serious work. My biggest complaint is that the cool custimization feature to add your own backgrounds crashes the program every time I try to do it. The whole thing is just not as slick and smooth as the smaller platforms.