Somme 100 with Dan Snow and The Royal British Legion brings to life the events surrounding the Battle of the Somme, the bloodiest battle of the First World War, and the experiences of the soldiers who fought in it. This app combines video, audio recordings, animated maps and archive photos to tell the story of the battle (1 July to 18 November 1916) and the sacrifice of the men, including thousands from the Pals battalions, who were injured or lost their lives fighting in it, 100 years ago.
Over 200 images, videos, historical and map entries, including:
- Dan Snow explaining key moments from the Battle of the Somme
- Audio recordings from men who served in the trenches.
- Incredible archive images from the trenches;
- Soldier’s diaries and other first hand accounts;
- Answers to the 10 big questions about the Somme from Professor Sir Hew Strachan.
- Soldier’s poems;
- Maps and animated battle plans for all the key events.
The app contains images, maps and other content that will download after the initial download and install of the app. Video and audio content within the app requires an internet connection to play. We advise that this content should be viewed when on a wi-fi connection. Be aware that if downloading this streamed content over a mobile phone network you will be liable for your network provider’s usual data download charges.
- Ballista Digital Ltd
- 121.7 MB
- Requires iOS 7.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 9+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Horror/Fear Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- © Ballista Digital Ltd
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.