Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Does your music library need a face lift? Get the SongGenie treatment with titles, artists and lyrics. SongGenie identifies unknown titles, completes missing fields and helps you clean up your song info. You can even search the web for lyrics and apply them to your music.
✔ Find lyrics for your songs
✔ Tidy titles, typos and song info
✔ Analyze your music library
✔ Identify unknown songs
SongGenie uses an acoustic fingerprint to return correct song information for over 80% of an average music library. Also, SongGenie can detect errors in songs that have been mis-titled or include typos, and rectifies spelling variations of the same artist. If you wish, you can type in your own corrections for any label.
No more guessing and no more misheard lyrics. Display your favorite songs with lyrics on your iPhone or just about any iPod too.
Are you all worked up over incorrect track info and too many genres? SongGenie will help you freshen your tunes right up.
SongGenie provides a quick indicator of each song. With the three guitar rating, you can quickly see if a song is missing title information, cover art or lyrics. SongGenie operates independently of iTunes. You can add multiple folders to check, even those on external drives. In the Preferences panel, you can choose to sync your newly found information with iTunes.
Supported music formats
✔ Apple lossless format (unprotected)
What's New in Version 2.1.2
- Now available in Japanese
A good start
I bought this program to help get my unwieldly iTunes collection in shape, and it was helpful in doing that. It recognized many of my songs and was able to apply tags to them. Things I don't like:
1. New songs rarely seem to be identifiable. I would say about 75% of new songs (music currently on the Billboard Top 100 charts) is not recognized. This is a major problem for me and if I had know the success rate was going to be so dismal I would not have spent the $30 on it.
2. If a song appears on more than one album (very common as a song gets older) it is not handled well. You have the option to not tag if that happens, but there should be a better way to handle this.
3. CoverScout should be built into this and NOT a separate purchase. That is just ridiculous.
4. If you manually change fields within SongGenie too quickly you'll get an error. I believe this is because when you change a field it immediately rewrites the metadata and re-saves the song file on your computer. If you try to change another field while it's doing that you'll get an error that the file does not exist. You can then search for the song again and make your change without any problem, but that's a glaring bug that should be fixed.
Room for improvement
The program has a nice interface and is fairly intuitive to use, but I was disappointed in the actual tags that it comes up with for songs. Many of my songs were not recognized, granted some are obscure, but others I was surprised weren't recognized. The program sometimes comes up with different tags for songs on the same album for things like genre and year, which should be the same within an album. Don't use the automatic tagging feature or it will do more harm than good to your library. Hopefully they are working to improve their database or sources. For $30, I expected a much better result.
Needs Addtional Features
Love the graphical interface and like the fact that it works with folders as well as the itunes library; however, there are features that I would expect it to have at the current price point.
First is drag and drop cover art. Reliance on Coverscout alone seems like a trap to buy the other product. You should be able to drag a graphic onto the coverart area (for similar feature look at Fission)
Second, the program should have the ability to rename a mp3 file based on the id3 tags. This appears to be a huge oversight. Let me know is I missed this feature somehow.
- Category: Music
- Updated: Feb 02, 2011
- Version: 2.1.2
- Size: 22.7 MB
- Languages: English, French, German, Japanese
- Seller: equinux
- © 2011 equinux AG
Compatibility: OS X 10.6.6 or later