By Robert Parker
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Songwriter's Companion allows you to capture all your song ideas (titles/hooks, lyrics, and audio) in one easy-to-use application and then develop those ideas into completed songs.
Songwriter's Companion includes a full featured text editor, Rhyme Finder for finding rhymes, an audio recording tool, a chord palette for dragging & dropping chords into your lyrics, and the ability to display chords above your lyric's text (ChordPro style). All your work is highly searchable and sortable. Even when you've got hundreds or thousands of songs in progress you'll find what you're looking for with Songwriter's Companion.
Featured in Apple's "Making Music" collection!
Get organized, get serious, get Songwriter's Companion.
What's New in Version 3.1
-Added support for minor keys to the Chord palette's Key popup menu.
- Now supports adding chords to your lyrics. Drag & Drop chords from a chord pallet. Then click a view button to see those chords displayed above the lyric lines.
- You can now drag & drop lyric files into and out of the song list. This simplifies importing existing lyrics into Songwriter's Companion. You can import text, rtf, and doc files.
- Also added improvements to the ability to drag & drop audio into and out of Songwriter's Companion.
- Fixed a memory leak when using the search field.
- Added more info to the Help window.
- Can now use space bar to control play and pause in audio tab
- Export function now exports all data associated with a song... lyrics, audio, and notes.
- Added a super simple pitch-pipe style guitar tuner.
- New application and database icons
Wow. Actually perfect :)
I’ve never found a good songwriting app to store everything. I’ve been writing actively for 12 years and this is the first app I’ve found acceptable for managing my collection of songs. I always write my songs through improv with just audio files so I will have multiple audio files of takes for a song I’m writing. This app lets you create a song file and store each of those audio files into that one song file. Also, it seems like the app itself copies the audio files so that everything is maintained within the app itself, which is a plus.
Anyway, worth $8. Easily. This hasn’t been updated for over a year but it works perfectly with El Capitan.
Everything a songwriter needs
I have found Songwriter’s Comanion to provide all the tools I need, in a very simple to use format. I had been using a well known competing product for 6 over years but the recent upgrade which requires access to the cloud was a turn off. Often times, I write in locations where I am not connected to the cloud, i.e: on the road, in the air, in the wilderness, or in a hotel without paying a $14 a day internet fees. Songwriter’s Companion allows me to access my songs and it's rhyme dictionaries whereever I am. This is important to me.
The ability to add chords with traditional symbols or the Nashville numbering system is allow. A great package at a great price! I am completely statisfied.
No cloud sync
This app is fantastic for writing lyrical ideas and making chord charts. I’ve tried a lot of other apps to try to write songs with and this one finally has everything that you need. Basic lyric writing word processecor with song writing features like rhyme dictionaries - versions - and the ability to add chord references.
The one thing that would make this app 5 stars is if you could synch it between computers - like from an iMac to a Macbook Pro and back and forth over the cloud.
Other than that it’s great.