Time travel to save the world in SEGA's highly acclaimed Sonic platformer that introduced Amy Rose and Metal Sonic!
Past, present, and future collide as Sonic battles to rescue Amy Rose and recover the seven Time Stones! Travel through time to defeat Dr. Eggman and his fiendish creation, Metal Sonic.
Sonic CD is part of the SEGA Forever classic games collection, a treasure trove of free SEGA console classics brought to life on mobile!
- Collect all seven Time Stones to defeat Dr. Eggman and save Amy Rose
- Time travel between the past, present, and future versions of each level
- Use Sonic's spin dash and super peel out moves to zoom around stages
- Clear the game to unlock Miles "Tails" Prower
- Sonic CD now features both the US and Japanese soundtracks!
SEGA FOREVER FEATURES
- PLAY FREE
- SAVE YOUR GAME PROGRESS
- LEADERBOARDS – compete with the world for high scores
- CONTROLLER SUPPORT: MFi compatible controllers
- DOWNLOAD THEM ALL
- (9/10) IGN: "This is a great, fully featured port for iOS
- (5/5) Touch Arcade: "Sonic CD is incredible"
- (4.5/5) 148 Apps: "looks and runs perfectly"
- "Nothing could be simpler to pick up and play." [92%] - Steve White, Mega Action (December 1993)
- "Sonic CD is cracking video entertainment of the highest order." [91%] - Tim Tucker, SEGA Zone #13 (November 1993)
"Any fan of Sonic will want to get their hands on this immediately." [90%] - Mark Hill, SEGA Pro #25 (November 1993)
“The most amazing Sonic adventure to date.” [90%] - Vincent Low, Sonic the Comic #15 (11th December 1993)
"An excellent platform game with an ingenious game structure." [89%] - Paul Mellerick, MEGA #13 (October 1993)
"Sonic CD is the Hog's best outing yet." [88%] - SEGA Power #48 (November 1993)
"Sonic CD is the best advertisement for Mega CD yet." [87%] - Andy Martin, Mega Drive Advanced Gaming #16 (December 1993)
"Sonic CD is an absolute must for Mega CD owners." [87%] - Julian Rignall, SEGA Magazine #1 (January 1994)
"Once again SEGA have come up trumps with another great foray into the world of the spiky, blue megastar." [85%] - Mark Smith, SEGA Force Mega #6 (December 1993)
"Gameplay's as slick as you'd expect of a Sonic game; the same goes for the graphics." [85%] - Warren Lapworth, Mega Machines #1 (December 1993)
- Sonic CD was the first game to feature Sonic speaking - leave Sonic standing still for three minutes to hear him!
- The original release of Sonic CD featured a secret spooky message screen that would greet data pirates
- Sonic CD features two endings, and was the first in the series to feature full motion video cut scenes.
- European and Japanese versions of the game featured different music to its American counterpart
CLASSIC GAME FACTS
- Sonic CD first released in Japan on September 23, 1993
- Sonic CD was the SEGA CD's best-selling game of all time at 1.5 million copies
- The first Sonic game to feature CD-quality Red Book audio
- Remastered in 2011 by Christian Whitehead, the man behind Sonic Mania
- - - - -
Game apps are ad-supported and no in-app purchases are required to progress; ad-free play option available with in-app purchase.
This game may include "Interest Based Ads" (please see http://www.sega.com/mprivacy#3IBADiscolure for more information) and may collect "Precise Location Data" (please see http://www.sega.com/mprivacy#5LocationDataDisclosure for more information).
© SEGA. All rights reserved. SEGA, the SEGA logo, SONIC THE HEDGEHOG and SONIC CD, SEGA Forever and the SEGA Forever logo are registered trademarks or trademarks of SEGA Holdings Co., Ltd. or its affiliates.
Those bugs were just too slow for Sonic. They've been squished and the game is even smoother.
Ratings and Reviews
We love rediscovering hedgehog history with this enhanced edition of one of Sonic’s greatest adventures. This game sizzles with all the sprawling levels and blazing speed you remember from the ’90s, but this classic platformer is better than ever on the App Store. With crisp widescreen graphics, tight controls, and awesome extra content, it’s just a blast.
Severe Graphical Issues + ADs
This game is seriously broken on my iPhone X. Some sprites aren’t completely transparent and have white boxes around them. Even worse, when I start to play the game, it’ll last about 10 seconds before the graphics go completely haywire and turn into flashing and rotating triangles. It’s so broken it almost seems fake, like it was done on purpose. These triangles aren’t just limited to a couple of sprites... no, the entire screen starts randomly convulsing with colors to the point where you can’t tell what’s going on and it’s completely unplayable.
Another issue: I purchased this game full price when it was first released. So there shouldn’t be ads every time I play it. There shouldn’t be a Sonic 4 Ep II ad whenever I start it up, and there shouldn’t be a Sonic Forces logo that pops up in the top left inexplicably after the menu animation.
The ads I could live with, but it’s the graphics issues that really make this a one star rating. The flashing triangles make it so you can’t even see the game, and there’s even another issue where the menu elements don’t space out correctly, so the act # ends up mashed in with the zone name which is already mashed into itself due to some other glitch. All in all, the serious bugs need to be fixed in order for me to recommend this game. In its current state, I’d skip it.
Debug mode broken
Very good, but for some reason debug mode doesn’t work. It only shows the coordinates under the pause button and when I try to quit to the main menu while in a special stage, the exit button just flashes forever and the game doesn’t go back to the main menu please fix these!!! Also when I return to the main menu from the title screen, an ad just pops up, and there are ads in the top left corner of the main menu. This happens even after i restored my purchase. It also happens with sonic 1 and 2. Also, the opening cutscene doesn’t play anymore when I start a new file. Just also remove the freaking ads, and there is a glitch in tidal tempest act 2 good future where that s tunnel thing that pulls you up, if you move left or right, sonic or tails gets stuck in the wall. And also, whatever happened to no save mode? And in this, sonic 1, and sonic 2, whenever I get a phone call or an alarm goes off, all the sound just muted and the only way to turn the volume back on is to restart the app
Hi there, sorry to hear that you are experiencing quite a few issues with the game. Can you send an email to email@example.com about the issues as well as the device and OS you are using to play the game, so that we can investigate the issue. Please can you also include the name of the game in the email.
- Sega America
- 265.4 MB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. Apple TV.
- English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © SEGA, the SEGA logo, SONIC and SONIC CD are either registered trade marks or trade marks of SEGA Holdings Co., Ltd. or its affiliates. All rights reserved.
- In-App Purchases
- Premium Upgrade $1.99
Challenge friends and check leaderboards and achievements.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.