The Sonic 4 saga continues in Episode II with the return of a beloved sidekick and fan-favorite villains!
Metal Sonic has teamed up with Dr. Eggman, and the dubious duo are together on Little Planet, ready to build a new Death Egg, this time constructed around Little Planet. It’s up to Sonic and his trusty sidekick to foil Dr. Eggman’s plans and take down Death Egg mk.II. With a classic ‘Sonic feel,’ enhanced gameplay, five distinctive Zones, and a soundtrack composed by Jun Senoue, this speedy sequel that originally launched in May of 2012 does not disappoint.
This release of Sonic The Hedgehog 4: Episode II also includes Episode Metal unlocked from the get-go. This bonus set of stages sees you playing as Metal Sonic across fiendishly difficult versions of Zones from Sonic The Hedgehog 4: Episode I. Complete them to discover the complete story behind Sonic The Hedgehog 4!
Like the rest of the SEGA Forever collection, Sonic The Hedgehog 4: Episode II boasts added features such as leaderboards, cloud saves, and controller support. Each game in the collection is available to download for free from the App Store for iPhone and iPad.
Players who want to experience the games without ads can remove them for a one-time in-app purchase priced at $1.99/ €2.29 / £1.99.
- Five Zones and seven bosses to best as Sonic and Tails
- Play as Metal Sonic in Episode Metal, now unlocked from the start!
- Complete all the Special Stages to unlock Super Sonic!
- Work with Tails to perform the Rolling, Copter, and Submarine combos!
- Can you collect all the Red Star Rings?
SEGA FOREVER FEATURES
- PLAY FREE with ad-support or ad-free via In-App Purchase
- SAVE YOUR GAMES – save your progress at any point in the game.
- LEADERBOARDS – compete with the world for high scores
- CONTROLLER SUPPORT: MFi compatible controllers
SONIC 4: EPISODE II TRIVIA
- Sonic The Hedgehog 4's story takes place after the events of Sonic The Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles
- The halfpipe Special Stages return from Sonic The Hedgehog 2 - don't worry though, they aren't quite as tough as before!
- Can you spot all the other references to Zones and features from the 16-bit Sonic series?
SONIC 4: EPISODE II HISTORY
- Sonic The Hedgehog 4: Episode II was first released in May 2012
- Developed by Sonic Team and Dimps
- Lead Programmer: Koji Okugawa
- - - - -
Game apps are ad-supported and no in-app purchases are required to progress; ad-free play option available with in-app purchase.
This game may include "Interest Based Ads" and may collect "Precise Location Data" (please see http://www.sega.com/mprivacy/#2e_Third_Party_Info for more information)
© SEGA. All rights reserved. SEGA, the SEGA logo, Sonic The Hedgehog 4: Episode II, SEGA Forever, and the SEGA Forever logo are registered trademarks or trademarks of SEGA Holdings Co., Ltd. or its affiliates.
Sonic The Hedgehog 4: Episode II joins the ever-increasing line-up of ‘SEGA Forever’, a treasure trove of free SEGA console classics brought back to life on mobile!
Ratings and Reviews
Update was a downgrade
I am giving this game 5 stars because of so much reminiscing from the classic Sonic the Hedgehog games. I was 8 years old when Sonic came out in 1991; if it weren’t for Sonic, I wouldn’t have developed an interest in video games, and have loved his games since then...not including a few past and present flops (Sonic Boom the worst of it all). I’ve even done much fan art and my own story writing/graphic novel work, as many fans of pretty much *anything* will do.
However...I am removing a star because of the “update”. When I first got this game I had to buy it...but it was ad free and wonderfully enjoyable. Now with the downgrading “update”, I have to, in a sense, buy it a SECOND TIME just to remove the ads! I tried to restore the purchase of the game, but I only got an error, telling me that there were no purchases to restore. That takes the enjoyment of the game and tosses it in a pit of fire.
This issue is apparently a very large problem for all players who have already paid for the game. And if this “update” moves to episode I, which I have as well, there’s going to be a lot more upset players who have already paid for the game(s).
Please, Sega, either refund all purchases that were done to originally buy this game, or automatically upgrade the game to premium for those players who have already paid for the game. It would make a whole lot of rather unhappy players feel better.
Decent game ruined by controls
This is actually a fun game. After hearing so many bad things of 4, I got a little worry-some, although it's actually pretty good. The homing attack makes things a little too easy; but it's fine. The problem is, though, the controls. The control stick which you use to control Sonic and Tails is pretty bad, and, despite looking the same, is nothing like the ones used in the Christian Whitehead remakes of the originals. First off, it's too small. Not only is it hard to move it around because of this; but your hand is always falling off the stick. My suggestion is to add a ability where you can make the stick larger, or smaller, like in the remakes.
Something else, is performance. There is something wrong with the performance; I don't know if it's frame rate or something else. When standing still, everything likes decently fine. Also, I'm on an Ipad Mini 4, one of the newer devices, so I'm pretty sure it's not on my end.
In the end, a decent game almost completely ruined by controls.
THIS GAME IS AMAZING
This is miles better than episode 1. Better physics, better graphics, easier and more enjoyable special stages, multiplayer, takes up less space so it never crashes, and best of all, it's fun. Only a few problems, like the lock-on feature not working, but that's about it. I love Sonic, and thanks for making an improved game that's easy to pick up and play. Edit: Lock-on feature fixed, Sega Forever update installed. It’s still the same thanks to my trusty ad-blocker.
- Sega America
- 821.5 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- Rated 9+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- © SEGA, the SEGA logo, SONIC THE HEDGEHOG and SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 4 EPISODE II are either registered trade marks or trade marks of SEGA Holdings Co., Ltd. or its affiliates. All rights reserved.
- In-App Purchases
- Premium Upgrade $1.99
Challenge friends and check leaderboards and achievements.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.