The Sonic game that started it all is now free-to-play and optimized for mobile devices!
Race at lightning speeds across seven classic zones as Sonic the Hedgehog. Run and spin through loop-de-loops as you collect rings and defeat enemies on your mission to save the world from the evil Dr. Eggman.
Sonic the Hedgehog joins the SEGA Forever Classic Games Collection, a treasure trove of free SEGA console classics brought to life on mobile for the first time!"
- OPTIMIZED FOR MOBILE Sonic The Hedgehog now plays in widescreen at a smooth 60FPS offering unrivalled performance and the game’s legendary soundtrack has been fully re-mastered.
- GOTTA GO FAST - Challenge yourself with an all-new Time Attack mode!
- NEW PLAYABLE CHARACTERS Play as Sonic’s friends Tails and Knuckles for the first time. Use their unique abilities to fly, climb, and glide around levels offering exciting new ways to explore.
- CONTROLLER SUPPORT Sonic The Hedgehog offers exclusive support for the Power A Moga, Nyko, XBOX, and all HID controllers.
SEGA FOREVER FEATURES
- PLAY FREE
- LEADERBOARDS – compete with the world for high scores
- CONTROLLER SUPPORT: MFi compatible controllers
- GAMES RELEASED EVERY MONTH - Download them all!
- INCLUDES iOS 10 STICKER PACKS
- "Believe the hype - this is the tidiest, smoothest and most exhilarating game you'll have ever seen." [97%] - Andy Smith, SEGA Power #22 (September 1991)
- “Difficult without being frustrating, addictive without being repetitive, and altogether a joy to play.” [925/1000] - Gary Whitta, ACE #47 (August 1991)
- "One of the best Mega Drive games I've ever played" [92%] - Rich Leadbetter, Mean Machines #10 (July 1991)
- Sonic Jam contained the first release of Sonic The Hedgehog that gave Sonic his spin dash move, which returns again in this remake
- Sonic The Hedgehog was also released in arcades on SEGA's Mega-Tech and Mega Play systems
- Rabbit and armadillo characters were considered for Sonic before settling on a hedgehog design
- While "Eggman" is Dr. Robotnik's nickname in the West, he has always been known as "Eggman" in Japan
CLASSIC GAME FACTS
- First released in the US on June 23rd, 1991
- It took Yuji Naka almost a year to finish designing Green Hill Zone Act 1
- Spring Yard Zone and Scrap Brain Zone were originally called Sparkling Zone and Clock Work Zone
- Music composed by Masato Nakamura of Dreams Come True fame
- - - - -
Game apps are ad-supported and no in-app purchases are required to progress; ad-free play option available with in-app purchase.
© SEGA. All rights reserved. SEGA, the SEGA logo, Sonic the Hedgehog, SEGA Forever, and the SEGA Forever logo are registered trademarks or trademarks of SEGA Holdings Co., Ltd. or its affiliates.
Bug fixes and refinements
- Fix for out of bounds issue on newer devices
Ratings and Reviews
Need new update. Can’t finish zone.
What’s good sega and sonic team. I love you sonic games I have them all sonic 1 2 and cd even got two copies of sonic mania for the switch and ps4 plus sonic 4 ep 1and two (y’all need ep 3 just saying) but look in scrap brain zone act 2 at the end it have a glitch in it (again) where when you get done with the zone and moving in it the cut seen right before act 3 begin the camera movies all the way up where you can’t see it and when get to eggman where he jumps on the switch to drop you in to act 3 of scrap brain zone you automatically die and have to start the act all over again. And also when you get out of the game and goes back in or restart that act you lose a life and that’s a lil uncool so can y’all plz update this app again plz. Coming from a big sonic fan since the early 90’s the game need to fix its bugs fast. And also side note can y’all plz come on out with a mobile port of sonic3k plz that game is way to cool to just let it past yea I and everyone else know by that now that MJ made the songs for sonic 3 and not in for knuckles part of the game. But at least let us download part or the whole thing to our phones and tablets plz thanks much love from one of your fans of the sonic’s series.
Wonderful port, terrible controls
I've only played the free version, but I absolutely love this port of the game! The screen is zoomed out so you can see a lot more clearly and it's incredible to finally play Sonic 1 with the spin dash rather than the mediocre emulations of the original genesis title you see everywhere. In the free version, I haven't found the ads to be intrusive at all. I heard the premium version still has ads which definitely needs to be fixed, but other than that, the inclusion of Tails and Knuckles seems well worth the money.
There's just one major problem preventing me from buying the game: controls. I get that it's a mobile app, so there's not much you can really do, but I cannot stand using on-screen buttons for game like this. Every time I try to turn around, I accidentally end up rolling, often leading to me rolling right off into a spike or pit. Similarly, I might just be trying to jump forward but accidentally spin dash, or roll and suddenly lose all of my momentum.
I would absolutely love if this port could be made available on consoles and/or through Steam. I would love to play such a wonderful port the way it deserves to be played! Maybe if Sonic Mania is successful?
It’s Still Sonic 1
Christian Whiteheadand his team have provided the same classic Sonic game that kick-started SEGA’s mascot into the spotlight, and they have also made substancial improvements along the way. Widescreen gives you a much better view of what’s ahead and how to react, a stable framerate makes the controls buttery-smooth, and the inclusion of the spin dash makes certain sectiona a lot less of a hassle. The options to play as Tails and Knuckles are nice touches as well, allowing you to explore the levels in ways you never have before.
All that said, while the game is still the classic Sonic 1, that means it has many of the downsides of the original that no remake can fix. Save for Green Hill, the overall level design leaves7 something to be desired (Marble and Labrinth are especially boring), the bosses are beyond easy to beat, and the special stages give me headaches from two angles; one comes from the constant spinning of the stage, and the other comes from how downfight frustrating they are.
Overall, the downsides are mostly mostly mitigated by the touch-ups from mobile port, and it’s worth trying out if you haven’t played Sonic 1 before.
- Sega America
- 175.7 MB
Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. Apple TV.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © SEGA, the SEGA logo and SONIC THE HEDGEHOG are either registered trade marks or trade marks of SEGA Holdings Co., Ltd. or its affiliates. All rights reserved.
- In-App Purchases
- Premium Upgrade $1.99
Challenge friends and check leaderboards and achievements.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.