Sonic The Hedgehog Classic
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
The Sonic game that started it all is now free-to-play and optimized for mobile devices!
Race at lightning speeds across seven classic zones as Sonic the Hedgehog. Run and spin through loop-de-loops as you collect rings and defeat enemies on your mission to save the world from the evil Dr. Eggman.
Sonic the Hedgehog joins the SEGA Forever Classic Games Collection, a treasure trove of free SEGA console classics brought to life on mobile for the first time!"
- OPTIMIZED FOR MOBILE Sonic The Hedgehog now plays in widescreen at a smooth 60FPS offering unrivalled performance and the game’s legendary soundtrack has been fully re-mastered.
- GOTTA GO FAST - Challenge yourself with an all-new Time Attack mode!
- NEW PLAYABLE CHARACTERS Play as Sonic’s friends Tails and Knuckles for the first time. Use their unique abilities to fly, climb, and glide around levels offering exciting new ways to explore.
- CONTROLLER SUPPORT Sonic The Hedgehog offers exclusive support for the Power A Moga, Nyko, XBOX, and all HID controllers.
SEGA FOREVER FEATURES
- PLAY FREE
- LEADERBOARDS – compete with the world for high scores
- CONTROLLER SUPPORT: MFi compatible controllers
- GAMES RELEASED EVERY MONTH - Download them all!
- INCLUDES iOS 10 STICKER PACKS
- "Believe the hype - this is the tidiest, smoothest and most exhilarating game you'll have ever seen." [97%] - Andy Smith, SEGA Power #22 (September 1991)
- “Difficult without being frustrating, addictive without being repetitive, and altogether a joy to play.” [925/1000] - Gary Whitta, ACE #47 (August 1991)
- "One of the best Mega Drive games I've ever played" [92%] - Rich Leadbetter, Mean Machines #10 (July 1991)
- Sonic Jam contained the first release of Sonic The Hedgehog that gave Sonic his spin dash move, which returns again in this remake
- Sonic The Hedgehog was also released in arcades on SEGA's Mega-Tech and Mega Play systems
- Rabbit and armadillo characters were considered for Sonic before settling on a hedgehog design
- While "Eggman" is Dr. Robotnik's nickname in the West, he has always been known as "Eggman" in Japan
CLASSIC GAME FACTS
- First released in the US on June 23rd, 1991
- It took Yuji Naka almost a year to finish designing Green Hill Zone Act 1
- Spring Yard Zone and Scrap Brain Zone were originally called Sparkling Zone and Clock Work Zone
- Music composed by Masato Nakamura of Dreams Come True fame
- - - - -
Game apps are ad-supported and no in-app purchases are required to progress; ad-free play option available with in-app purchase.
© SEGA. All rights reserved. SEGA, the SEGA logo, Sonic the Hedgehog, SEGA Forever, and the SEGA Forever logo are registered trademarks or trademarks of SEGA Holdings Co., Ltd. or its affiliates.
What's New in Version 3.0.5
Bug fixes and refinements
Great but... (THANK YOOOOOOOOOOOOOU!!!)
Christian Whitehead's work is amazing and I love it. This port is fantastic, but there's one fatal flaw that NEEDS to be updated.
I've had this game since 2013, meaning I paid $2 before SEGA Forever came along. When the SEGA Forever update came along, I lost my purchase and was unable to restore it. This was fixed in an update, and I got my ad-free purchase back... for a month. I'm now unable to restore the purchase AGAIN, and whoever is running this stupid service won't release an update to fix this. I've had this issue for months and no matter how many times I relaunch the app and press the button, it always says Time-out.
I'm giving this app a 5 star rating because, again, this port is amazing. However, I won't be able to play it again until either I finally get my darn purchase to restore or, what I recommend, you put out an update.
And don't give me that "Restore Purchase and reopen the app" crap, that's obviously not working.
EDIT: YOU FINALLY FIXED IT! I CAN FINALLY PLAY WITHOUT ADS! AND YOU FIXED ALL THE OTHER ANNOYANCES I HAD! YOU ARE GODS! THANK YOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!
Sega Forever Indeed
I love the fact that you added the tails and knuckles for some extra gameplay. I love all the Sega Genesis games, and this game is absolutely wonderful. Sure, there are glitches and adds, but for what it is, it’s worth it.
I have an original Genesis console, but you can’t bring it everywhere you go, and with this app, you can. I love the re-created Sega games coming out every month, I just think it’s a wonderful idea.
Purchase Restore keeps timing out?
Hi. I've been a Sonic fan as long as I can remember, and when this port came out in 2013, I paid the 2 dollars and bought it. This port is amazing, and Christian Whitehead did a fantastic job, but whenever I try to restore my purchase on this and Sonic CD, it times out and won't let me restore. Please fix this fantastic game!
- Category: Games
- Updated: Oct 03, 2017
- Version: 3.0.5
- Size: 130 MB
- Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Seller: Sega America
- © SEGA, the SEGA logo and SONIC THE HEDGEHOG are either registered trade marks or trade marks of SEGA Holdings Co., Ltd. or its affiliates. All rights reserved.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.Apple TV: Yes
Top In-App Purchases
- Remove non-SEGA Adverts$0.99