Sonic The Hedgehog Classic
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
The Sonic game that started it all is now free-to-play and optimized for mobile devices!
Race at lightning speeds across seven classic zones as Sonic the Hedgehog. Run and spin through loop-de-loops as you collect rings and defeat enemies on your mission to save the world from the evil Dr. Eggman.
Sonic the Hedgehog joins the SEGA Forever Classic Games Collection, a treasure trove of free SEGA console classics brought to life on mobile for the first time!"
- OPTIMIZED FOR MOBILE Sonic The Hedgehog now plays in widescreen at a smooth 60FPS offering unrivalled performance and the game’s legendary soundtrack has been fully re-mastered.
- GOTTA GO FAST - Challenge yourself with an all-new Time Attack mode!
- NEW PLAYABLE CHARACTERS Play as Sonic’s friends Tails and Knuckles for the first time. Use their unique abilities to fly, climb, and glide around levels offering exciting new ways to explore.
- CONTROLLER SUPPORT Sonic The Hedgehog offers exclusive support for the Power A Moga, Nyko, XBOX, and all HID controllers.
SEGA FOREVER FEATURES
- PLAY FREE
- LEADERBOARDS – compete with the world for high scores
- CONTROLLER SUPPORT: MFi compatible controllers
- GAMES RELEASED EVERY MONTH - Download them all!
- INCLUDES iOS 10 STICKER PACKS
- "Believe the hype - this is the tidiest, smoothest and most exhilarating game you'll have ever seen." [97%] - Andy Smith, SEGA Power #22 (September 1991)
- “Difficult without being frustrating, addictive without being repetitive, and altogether a joy to play.” [925/1000] - Gary Whitta, ACE #47 (August 1991)
- "One of the best Mega Drive games I've ever played" [92%] - Rich Leadbetter, Mean Machines #10 (July 1991)
- Sonic Jam contained the first release of Sonic The Hedgehog that gave Sonic his spin dash move, which returns again in this remake
- Sonic The Hedgehog was also released in arcades on SEGA's Mega-Tech and Mega Play systems
- Rabbit and armadillo characters were considered for Sonic before settling on a hedgehog design
- While "Eggman" is Dr. Robotnik's nickname in the West, he has always been known as "Eggman" in Japan
CLASSIC GAME FACTS
- First released in the US on June 23rd, 1991
- It took Yuji Naka almost a year to finish designing Green Hill Zone Act 1
- Spring Yard Zone and Scrap Brain Zone were originally called Sparkling Zone and Clock Work Zone
- Music composed by Masato Nakamura of Dreams Come True fame
- - - - -
Game apps are ad-supported and no in-app purchases are required to progress; ad-free play option available with in-app purchase.
© SEGA. All rights reserved. SEGA, the SEGA logo, Sonic the Hedgehog, SEGA Forever, and the SEGA Forever logo are registered trademarks or trademarks of SEGA Holdings Co., Ltd. or its affiliates.
What's New in Version 3.0.9
Bug fixes and refinements
Dear people, you’re all not paid critics
Thank you for noting on a phone, the controls are flat, and phone like.... your opinion will sway my like for games on my phone. I’m gonna get a genesis controller and wire it for my lightning port on my dang iPhone. Idiots. Look. If you like sonic. And you like sega? You’re probably going to like this game. If you don’t like flat layout controls, follow the rest of the “game critics” who are so highly rewarded and sought to be like and burn your phone, don the foil hat and go buy 5-600$ game consoles. Might as well buy one of each. And make sure those controllers are well lubed. Thanks Sega. I highly recommend the game. Always been a fan of Sonic 💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯👌👌👌👌👌👌👌👌👌 highly recommend
Why the internet tethering?! (Update - fixed now)
Let me first say that I love this game. I played it when I was a kid, and gladly play now. However, I am on the go a lot, and I specifically got it to pass time on my long trans-Atlantic flight. I even bought the anti-AD thing. Well, surprise, the game doesn't run without the internet. So let me ask you, developers, why the heck does a game from the 90s with no changes to its core mechanics require a constant internet connection in order to even launch?! I would give it a 5 star, but until this crap is patched out, 2 is all I can give.
Update - the internet tethering has been fixed! This means I can finally update my review to a 5-star!
Game breaking bug in Spring Yard Act 3 on iPhone X
UPDATE 12/11: Have to knock it from 5 stars to 1 star. It looks like there is a bug that prevents you from advancing beyond Spring Yard Zone Act 3. I am using an iPhone X running Sonic 1 version 3.0.9. When you defeat Robotnik and jump on the capsule to free Sonic’s friends, Sonic runs offscreen and then loses a life and then you have to restart from the last checkpoint. If I had to guess, when Sega extended the view to support the iPhone X’s wider aspect ratio (which is AWESOME by the way), someone forgot to add enough ground tiles after the capsule so that Sonic could keep running and, instead, he is falling into a hole when he runs offscreen and is losing a life. I’d appreciate if this could be fixed. This is by far the best version of Sonic 1 I have ever played. It looks and plays so amazing on the iPhone X (apart from this glitch). It’ll be back to 5 stars when this is fixed.
- Category: Games
- Updated: Dec 04, 2017
- Version: 3.0.9
- Size: 147 MB
- Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Seller: Sega America
- © SEGA, the SEGA logo and SONIC THE HEDGEHOG are either registered trade marks or trade marks of SEGA Holdings Co., Ltd. or its affiliates. All rights reserved.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.Apple TV: Yes
Top In-App Purchases
- Premium Upgrade$0.99