By Faber Acoustical, LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
SoundMeter turns your iOS device into a handheld sound level meter (SLM) with support for exponential-time-weighted sound level (Lp) and equivalent sound level (Leq) measurements with various time and frequency weightings. The built-in signal generator tool can be used for generating calibration test tones, noise, chirps, or other periodic signals. SoundMeter also offers additional tools via in-app purchase, including a Noise Dosimeter and a whole or 1/3-octave real-time analyzer.
- Measure time-weighted and equivalent sound levels.
- Employ Flat, A, or C frequency weighting.
- Time-weighted measurement options include Fast, Slow, and Impulse weightings.
- Keep track of peak and maximum sound levels.
- Save high-resolution sound level display images to PDF files or to the device’s Camera Roll photo album. Descriptive text may be added to the image before it is saved.
- SoundMeter also offers data sharing via photo and email.
- Calibration controls enable automatic sensitivity calibration, relative to a calibrated sound level meter, or manual entry of the microphone sensitivity.
- SoundMeter supports screen rotation to any orientation.
- With the built-in or headset microphone, SoundMeter can measure peak sound levels of up to approximately 130 dB. Results may vary between iOS devices and headset microphones. External microphones may enable the measurement of much higher sound levels.
- Octave-band SLM (whole or 1/3-octave) and Noise Dosimeter tools are available within SoundMeter via in-app purchase.
- A data acquisition upgrade is also available via in-app purchase, which includes an http server for downloading PDF files exported from any of the analysis tools. It also enables CSV, TXT, and MAT file export.
- Data logging functionality is available in SoundMeter via in-app purchase. Data logging is supported by the Sound Level Meter and Noise Dosimeter (sold separately).
- Percentile-exceeded sound levels (L10, L50, L90, Lx) can be enabled via in-app purchase. Percentile-exceeded sound levels are supported by the Sound Level Meter and Octave analyzer (sold separately).
The built-in and headset microphones are suitable for certain, basic sound level measurements, but high precision external microphones may also be used with appropriate audio accessory hardware. Even though default sensitivity values are included for the built-in and headset microphones, for best results, SoundMeter should be calibrated before use. Sound levels may be off by a few dB when using the default microphone sensitivity.
For iPhone/iPad/iPod touch audio I/O compatibility and frequency response measurements, visit http://blog.FaberAcoustical.com.
NOTE: Although it has been designed to do so, SoundMeter has not been shown to meet ANSI or IEC standards for sound level meters. These standards require conformance of the entire measurement system, including software, hardware and microphones.
What's New in Version 8.0
- SoundMeter includes the SoundMeter companion app for Apple Watch. Depending on which tools* you have in SoundMeter, monitor the current sound level, spectrum, and/or noise dose from your wrist (requires iOS 8.2 and iPhone 5 or later). The Apple Watch app also allows you to start and stop individual measurements and turn the signal generator on and off from your wrist.
- SoundMeter can now continue to run sound level measurements in the background, while other apps are running.
- The Sound Level Meter, Octave Spectrum Analyzer, Dosimeter, and Signal Generator tools* can now all be stopped and started independently. This means that one or more of them can be making measurements at one time.
- Lx (percentile-exceeded sound level) measurements* now use the same time and frequency weighting as the Lp measurement, instead of automatically switching to Fast and A weighting.
- Frequency weighting may now be set to Flat, A, or C in the Dosimeter* options menu (previously, the Dosimeter only allowed A weighting).
- Meter, Octave, and Dosimeter tools* now use local notifications to alert you when a measurement has finished or when selected levels have exceeded user-defined thresholds.
- This release corrects a bug that could cause the device sensitivity for the built-in mic or the headset input to get corrupted when changing input gain selection with device units set to “FS.”
- * Octave and Dosimeter tools, and Lx measurements, are available in SoundMeter via in-app purchase.
- * This update will require you to restore your in-app purchases (you will not be charged again for upgrades you have already purchased).
- Category: Utilities
- Updated: Apr 13, 2015
- Version: 8.0
- Size: 6.9 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Faber Acoustical, LLC
- © 2015 Faber Acoustical, LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.
Top In-App Purchases
- Octave Analyzer RTA Tool$19.99
- Data Acquisition Support$19.99
- Data Logging Upgrade$19.99
- Percentile Exceeded Sound Levels$19.99