SoundNote is the best way to take notes in meetings, lectures, and interviews. It tracks what you type and draw while recording audio, so you'll never worry about missing an important detail. During playback, just tap a word: SoundNote will jump right to the proper time in the audio.
• Use SoundNote's powerful drawing tool for quick sketches. It's easy to edit them, too. Tap a drawing to select it, or tap twice to select an individual stroke. From there, you can drag it to wherever you want, or tap "Delete" to get rid of it. Use two fingers to zoom and scroll.
• SoundNote is perfect for students. If you ever fall asleep in class, don't worry — SoundNote's got your back. Just tap what you wrote while you were awake, and SoundNote will play the audio to help you fill in the blanks.
• SoundNote is also great for journalists. Ever miss an important detail during an interview and have to skim through your entire recording to find out what it was? With SoundNote, just tap a word from that part of the interview — it'll play back what you missed.
• When you're done, share your text, drawings, and audio notes via email, or transfer them directly to your Mac or PC. Audio notes are recorded in standard M4A format: One hour of high quality audio is only 25MB.
Fixes for Dropbox support. This update will be required to continue using Dropbox after June 28th, 2017.
Ratings and Reviews
I have used this app for years in large classroom settings. The recording come out great.
Very useful app
I really like using SoundNote. It is great for taking notes. There are a couple of things which would make it better. I often use it with a paired Bluetooth keyboard, and it does not support many of the standard controls for moving the insertion point, and making and extending selections using the command, option and control keys paired with arrows. Apple's apps like Notes and Mail do this well.
It would also be helpful if it could do tab based indenting, with a tab key on the keyboard (assuming you could add a key to the keyboard). I like to indent in my note taking, like in an Outliner, but without all the other outlining stuff. Tab in and you get an indented paragraph where all the lines in the paragraph are indented to the same level. When you start a new paragraph by typing [Return] it starts the new paragraph at the same level of indent as the previous one. Tab again and it goes indented one more level deeper. To back it out, do shift tab. The key affects the entire paragraph no matter where the insertion point is when the tab key is typed. (Perhaps it shouldn't be a tab key but a dedicated [Indent] and [Outdent] button group, as Omni Outliner does it.)
These are minor quibbles – it is a very useful app, especially because of the ability to IDE the notes as an index into the recording.
Killer iPad app and hero-maker for meetings and conference calls!
This is a killer iPad app. Indispensible for meetings, particularly conference calls. As a detailed note-taker, it frees me to write much less without losing complete and convenient access to information — which allows me to be a more engaged participant and seem less self-absorbed. Writing just a word or phrase builds a custom "index" into the recording while summarizing just the important parts. The app even silences keyboard clicks while recording!
An unexpected benefit is the ability to send the recording to someone who missed the meeting. People really appreciate that! And how powerful is it to be able to get to the meat of "he said, she said" conflicts!?
Hour-long recordings take surprisingly little memory space, however, the sound fidelity is overkill for most voice recordings. I can (with QuickTime Pro on a Mac) re-compress recordings into much smaller files that are more easily sent as email attachments. Perhaps a compression selection could be added as a recording preference.
- David Estes
- 7.6 MB
- Requires iOS 9.3 or later. Compatible with iPad.
- English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2010-2017 David Estes
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.