Southeast Scats & Tracks
By Natural Guides, LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
FalconGuides’ Scats and Tracks of the Southeast – A Field Guide to the Signs of 70 Wildlife Species
[Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia]
An interactive, regionally specific guide to recognizing what critters went before you—from North America’s most respected publisher of information
on outdoor recreation and the great outdoors
In Scats and Tracks of the Southeast, we focus on the biogeographic region of the southeastern United States, with details about the region’s most common or characteristic species of mammals, birds, reptiles, and amphibians. Each species is described with concisely worded yet detailed information, easily accessible by fast and easy navigation. Simple to use and intuitively designed, field-friendly and richly illustrated, this app is the key to starting off your outing on the right track!
See those animal signs on the trail? Was that footprint left by a dog or a coyote? Was that pile of droppings deposited by a bobcat or an armadillo? FalconGuides’ Scats and Tracks of the Southeast will help you determine which mammals, birds, reptiles, and amphibians have passed your way and could still be nearby.
This incomparable reference also includes a few rare species of particular interest or significance in this region. For example, what a coup it would be to document a mountain lion!
What’s in this app:
* A detailed guide to animal tracking, describing the art and science of preserving tracks, understanding the anatomy of footprints, track measurements, gaits and trails, and trail measurements. Written by one of the world’s leading experts on animal tracking.
* Detailed illustrations of scats, tracks, gait patterns, and other signs of an animal’s presence, carefully organized by species, track types, and scat types.
* Individual range maps for all species.
* Easy-reference descriptions of all scats and tracks with precise measurements.
* Built-in ruler for more accurate field identification.
* An identification key and glossary of tracking terms.
* Instantly view hundreds of color images for every species with built-in links to Google Images or Flickr.
* Document your finds using the Sightings feature. More than just a field notebook, you can capture images of your find; record date, time, and precise location; and write field notes for analysis and sharing.
* Share your sightings instantly with friends and colleagues via email, Facebook, and Twitter right from the app!
Written by Dr. James C. Halfpenny, one of the world’s leading experts on animal tracking and author of numerous books on the subject of scats and tracks field identification. Illustrated by Todd Telander, an award-winning natural science illustrator, wildlife artist, and amateur tracker.
Apps in this series include:
Scats & Tracks of
Essential gear for every adventure: Outfit Your Mind™.
What's New in Version 1.2
- fixed a potential crash on startup
I like that it's localized to my area, so it isn't clogged with species I won't see. Lots of (black and white) high quality pictures of tracks, trails, scats, and tracks streamline identification. Good general info about the species, too. It's out of the scope of the guide, but some fish and insects would be cool, as would color.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Mar 26, 2010
- Version: 1.2
- Size: 29.0 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Natural Guides, LLC
- © FalconGuides and Natural Guides, LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 3.1.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.