"...an incredibly addicting and challenging game... Space Station: Frontier is a well-rounded and well-designed game that's perfect for any strategy gaming fan. One word of warning: once you get sucked in, this game is very hard to put down."
"The game just looks, sounds, and plays like a well oiled extraterrestrial machine."
"...easily justifies the iPad as a viable gaming platform. 5/5"
As overseer of a deep space mining operation you'd expect it to be a peaceful job. No such luck with a mysterious alien race violently contesting your claim to the territory!
Harvest precious energy, fortify your station, build up your firepower to defend humanity's domain on this new frontier!
• Construct weaponry and mining tools using an intuitive tower defense style interface.
• Design and power vast networks of structures, then defend them against alien incursion!
• Earn upgrades and unlocks for your space station to increase its power and abilities!
• Story-based campaign mode where you are humanity's last chance for survival.
• Play one of three freeform, endless modes and compete with other players worldwide using the online leaderboards.
• Mission mode provides quick tactical challenges. Beat a scenario to earn achievements!
• Playable in portrait or landscape - at any time!
• Interactive mini-map!
• Multiplayer head-to-head! Play against another player on iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad! Needs LAN WiFi or Bluetooth.
• GameCenter integration provides online leader boards and lots of achievements to earn.
• Awesome music & sound effects by Earcom.
- GameCenter added to replace OpenFeint (OpenFeint servers are being taken offline December 2012)
- News system added to keep you informed of developments
- iOS 6 compatibility
Ratings and Reviews
Fun but unbalanced
It's a great strategy game and I love the space station take on the classic tower defense format. However I have a few points to critic:
1) Being forced to base your defense on a resource that runs out and can't be refilled feels like the game is cheating you.
- Asteroids should either NOT run out of crystals or new Asteroids should appear in equal measure.
... Are we living in a finite Universe? ...
2) The Maximum number of total structures should be at LEAST doubles, preferably removed completely. Most structures do only 1 action: Mine, Repair, Attack Big Ships, Deflect 1 type of energy weapon, connect energy lines, launch slow moving Nukes... With all these single purpose items many more structures ( and much more energy) is needed.
I can play an Endless session in Sentinel for well over an hour, with roller coaster of triumph and empowerment as well as the fear and excitement of barely surviving an attack. Only at the very end does final defeat come, and it's quick like a bullet to the head. Space Station Frontier starts you off scrambling to build a short lived mediocre success and kills you like an old man lying in bed just waiting for the end.
In short, it all makes for a short game. Compared to Sentinel, it leaves wanting more and feeling like the rug is being pulled out from under my feet.
It's one of the few games I played from beginning to end (the campaign). It's feels a bit "slow" when you have to stop the campaign (and work in skirmish modes-survival, mining, protect) to build up money to buy bigger better equipment.
I wouldn't mind be able to play through the campaign with more continuity.
I also used "odd" tactics in some of the campaigns to save bigger defense equipment like building power links because it's just to darn expensive to build say a turret and fully upgrade it to have it blown apart so quickly. A power link is a much much cheaper "decoy" while the turrets do their job! :) Maybe you need a ghost decoy unit or something...
Not that's it unbalanced but some tweaks could be done to better the game. Overall it's most definitely an A+ game for me and would LOVE to see more campaigns...PLEASE...I just can't get enough of this destined to be classic game! :)
Great game, very addicting survival mode which helps build up credits for upgrades in campaign making difficult missions easier. Bought on a whim and don't regret for a second.
- Origin8 Technologies Limited
- 16.2 MB
- Requires iOS 4.3 or later. Compatible with iPad.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © Origin8 Technologies Ltd.
- In-App Purchases
- Full Station Upgrade $0.99
Challenge friends and check leaderboards and achievements.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.