SpaceCraft is a musical instrument (MIDI, MPE, AUv3, IAA).
With this instrument you can transform any sound into a playable musical instrument via a technique known as Granular Synthesis. With SpaceCraft, you can create textures, soundscapes and arpeggiated rhythms from everyday sounds such as your voice, ambient noise or the high quality built-in audio samples.
Tap the 'Import Audio' button (top left) to record audio via your device's microphone or load a file from your device (access* to iCloud, Dropbox, Google Drive, Audioshare etc.). Experiment with turning everyday sounds into unusual instruments. Try recording your voice or ambient noise!
Tap the 'rec' button (top right) to record your performance (maximum 20 minutes).
Supports AUv3 and IAA (recommended to use in the effects slot to allow live input audio recording).
* iOS11 and above provides equivalent folder access to the built-in iOS 'Files' app. iOS10 and below has limited access to folders (no Audioshare folder access)
- new CC mapping options in advanced settings: Disable, Default and Legacy (see www.deltavaudio.com/about for mappings)
- 'Disable' disables all mappings except sustain (CC64), seaboard reserved CCs and all notes off (CC123)
- 'Default' is a NEW* mapping (see below)
- 'Legacy' is the previous mapping from v1.1.0
- option to select 'no channels' for midi notes in
- ability to select midi channel for CC in
- added *.m4a audio file compatibility
- added feature in advanced settings to change scaling of Y-axis/Slide (grain position modulation) for MPE
- fixed bug where notes sometimes didn’t load when opening a preset which included a scale change
- fixed bug where visualisation of waveform would not appear in the edge case where an audio file is loaded via the preset panel when in live sampling mode
* the CC mapping added recently in V1.0.0 on the App Store unfortunately clashes with some midi standard CC mappings. The new ‘default’ mapping is designed to avoid such clashes, improving compatibility with other apps/devices. For existing users who have used the old CC mapping in their recent projects, you can select ‘legacy mapping’ in advanced settings. However, it is recommended to switch the default mapping to avoid issues in future. Note that this does not in any way impact parameters mapped to CC via an AUv3 host.
See website for a list of the default/legacy mappings
Ratings and Reviews
Its pretty good, but...
There are lots of grain synthesis aps out now so this one has some competition. How does it stand up? Pretty well. Like most of the grain synthesis aps, the audio quality is quite good. It has the usual features but adds a kind of “playability” that is hard to describe but easy to recognize once you get your hands on it. The new version’s ability to use LARGE audio files (something like 20 minutes long) sets Spacecraft apart as very unique and can be quite useful. So on these points it competes pretty well.
However, its integration into the Audio Units world is rather odd. You must use it as an EFFECT in AUM, for example, while it is clearly a source (an actual synthesizer capable of originating its own sounds). When used as an AU, only one of the two channels is available in any one slot. Being an AU, you should be able to launch more than one instance of Spacecraft. But sadly, that will not work. Doing so results in crashing both instances.
The other major problem at this point in its history is that the ap will not save your work; it has no ability to save presets. However, the developer assures us that this feature is coming in a future release.
If these things were fixed, my personal opinion of Spacecraft would go up to rate it at least at four stars because I could actually use it and really exploit its otherwise very good capabilities.
Developer Response ,
When used as as AU effect you can record audio from an upstream instrument or microphone via the import sound button. This is why it is currently an AU effect.
Also in hosts like AUM just resize or double tap the window title to see both blue and pink channels of spacecraft
Sounds great! Can't save or import anything on iOS 9 or 10.
I like this simpler-than-iDensity granular synth quite a lot. It is more immediately intuitive than Tardigrain without losing the wonderful unpredictability of granular synthesis in producing interesting, beautiful, arresting, terrifying sounds. The interface is one of the better distillations of granular parameters that I have seen so far on the App Store.
Unfortunately, Spacecraft does not truly support Audioshare; it supports Apple's Files app, leaving users on iOS 9 and 10 with only iCloud for sound import/export. Nor does it store presets internally. Those have to go on iCloud as well. I don't use iCloud, and don't see much point in uploading my samples there to redownload them into a single app when Audioshare has everything already here on my iPad. So for now, Spacecraft is a demo on my iOS 9-running mini. A really nice demo--I hope to be able to make better use of it soon.
Audio Share support MISSING!
This is actually a cool granular synth app. Like most apps of this style, access to your audio files is critical for the complete enjoyment of this instrument. The controls are really nice. The addition of a sequencer really make this granular synth standout, making live performance that much easier.
So why only 3 stars?
True IAA support is MISSING. My audiobus 3 and Beatmaker 3 do not see it an instrument, and sorry but effect “only” IAA is not good enough. Not when you can make some amazing stuff now but can not use it in your AB3 and Beatmaker 3.
But the biggest infraction: NO AUDIOSHARE SUPPORT!
((Where is it?))
This is a granular synth and the first thing you should be programing in is an option to go directly to your audioshare and grab your waves. This should be a rule for EVERY programmer when it comes to developing user sample/wave dependent synths like granulars: get your audioshare protocols handled FIRST. Get that done and out of the way before you even look at posting into the app store.
Roll out the next update with direct to audioshare and I’ll change the rating to 4 stars. Audioshare and true IAA support so my Audiobus 3 and Beatmaker 3 can use this as an instrument gets you all 5 stars. Make this happen asap, please, you got a good app here.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.