By Robert Harrison
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
SpeakColors is an iPad app designed to encourage young children to imitate and use two word phrases with color words and common objects. The app is geared toward toddlers with speech and language delays, autism, Down syndrome and other developmental disorders.
This motivating app increases vocabulary skills, phrase length, and receptive and expressive language. This lite version of SpeakColors contains 7 common colors and 100 colorful photographs of objects. Children can record their own voice to name colors, food, animals, toys, and common objects.
"I find it great for children with dyspraxia (childhood apraxia of speech) where you are working on multiple targets and trying to move them onto short sentences." ~ SpeechBlogUK
"SpeakColors can do an excellent job of teaching words and sentence structure as a precursor to or in conjunction with other reinforcing hands-on multi-modality activities." ~ SpeechPathologyApps.com
*** Free App of the Week in SpeechPathologyApps.com Newsletter (05/31/2012) ***
- Pick a color from the top of the screen.
- Swipe left or swipe right to change objects.
- Press a color or object in the middle of the screen to hear the name of the color or object.
*** Disclosure ***
At RWH Technology we are committed to the privacy and safety of our customers and their children. This app:
- Does not collect/share any user's personally identifiable information.
- Does not contain Social Network Integration or Links to Social Media.
- Does not contain ads.
- Does not contain push notifications.
- Does not include In-App-Purchases.
- Does include a link to the full SpeakColorsHD version. Link is found on a separate, adult targeted screen.
What's New in Version 1.3
- New default voice
SpeakColors is one of my favorite apps for my speech and language clients working at the phrase and early sentence level. The presentation is straightforward, visually appealing, and the voice is clear -- and speaks sufficiently slowly for the children and teens to understand. In addition, the student can say the phrase or sentence into a "mic" and then play it back. This feature is especially useful to encourage speech production for my clients with autism. Perhaps most important of all, my sons love this app!
Educational and fun!
This is a wonderful app, my daughter really enjoys it and we take turns recording our voices, which is an excellent feature. Highly recommended!
Love the new voice! It made an excellent app even better!
- Category: Education
- Updated: May 15, 2012
- Version: 1.3
- Size: 3.2 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Robert Harrison
- © Copyright 2012, RWH Technology. All rights reserved.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 4.3 or later. Compatible with iPad.