Speaking Spelling Bee
By mpowers LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The speak and spell training drill for everyone: K-12 students, parents, educators. ** NEW: now with Siri's voice! ** Build your spelling accuracy and vocabulary with this entertaining app!
We wrote this app for our kids who needed spelling help. We couldn't find any apps that let us create and share our own spelling lists, nor any that would automatically read the words out loud.
Because we have both visual as well as aural learners, we needed the words to be seen as well as spoken. And we needed both easy and hard word lists to challenge kids of different ages.
• includes a word list of high-scoring words for popular word games. Memorize these to crush your friends with words!
• 5000+ words with usage and definitions with built-in speech synthesis
• create your own word lists and share via email
• rearrange, edit, and delete individual words: hit the (>) button to edit a list
• built-in word lists to challenge adults as well as kindergarteners and grade school kids
• automatically track your best scores and toughest words
• train for a spelling bee
• practice your weekly spelling words
• boost your vocabulary
• pass-and-play with friends to have a spelling bee anywhere!
• ADULT BONUS
• makes a GREAT drinking game!
• This FREE version of Speaking Spelling Bee is supported by ads. You can remove the ads with an in-app upgrade purchase.
What's New in Version 1.2
Now with Siri's voice! (on iOS5) Fix for crash-on-startup on iPod/iPhone OS 3.x -- thanks for your help and patience getting that fixed.
Odd but still useful
I am in a type of spelling bee where you have a list of the words that will be used. Most of the time the voice that pronounces the words actually gets the pronunciation correct because it knows the word but it will occasionally not know the word and pronounce it completely wrong (i.e. It pronounces "soirée" as soyuree). However, the weirdest part of it is that the voice always sounds really scared and nervous when it says the words. I don't know if this was an intended effect or not, but either way I would rather it to just say the words normally.
Almost Five stars :P
I liked the app for it helped me practice my spelling bee words but the voice is sometimes hard to understand and it won't pronounce the word properly no matter how I fix the pronunciation or not :P
So can you like...make a way for Siri to properly do it and maybe add a Competition option where we can search the words we need to memorize for an upcoming competition so I don't have to use up a whole week typing out over 100 words?
Overall I like this app, but there are a couple problems. 1 is that the app gets frozen a lot. 2 is that the ads glitch. They get stuck and block the answer so I can't see if I got it right or wrong, 3 is that the voice is extremely hard to understand. You would think that when the whole point of the app is that it talks, the creators would make a huge deal on having the voice speak slowly and clearly.