SpeakLine let’s your Mac talk to you!
Write some text, select a voice and your Mac reads it out loud.
Enjoy your words with funny voices or read texts in native languages.
• import TXT or RTF files
• export your texts as an AIFF audio or TXT file
• select between multiple system voices in different languages
• change the speed of the reading
• customize the UI with the Dark Mode or select from one of the fonts
• install more system voices via the System Preferences
*SpeakLine uses the preinstalled Apple System Voices. They are all licensed under the Apple Software License Agreements.
Follow us on Twitter and Facebook: @pxlwaves
We've completely redeveloped SpeakLine with Swift to make it faster and modern for the coming years.
• redesigned interface with dark mode support (change it via the app menu “View”)
• import the text of TXT or RTF files
• we removed the confusing “saved texts” function …
• … if you want to safe your texts you can now export them as TXT file
• improved voice selection with language and gender information
• quickly share your read out text via Mail, Messages, …
• choose from a selection of fonts to customize the appearance of SpeakLine (View > Font)
Ratings and Reviews
Does What It Says, Should Do More
This app seems to be teh simplest way to transform text into an audio file.
There are other ways to accomplish this so its more of a time saver than anything else…
There is a feature or two that would improve this app. First is that voices are sorted alphabetically, with no other information. This means there is no easy way to tell what the native language is for any given voice…. The only work around I found is go into system prefernces and acess speech settings to see how they are sorted there…
Also, it would be nice if one could create scripts…. That is to say, have the ability to use different voices to read different parts of the text. So you could, say, emulate a conversation or even have text that alternates between two different languages (thereby translating text). Ideally this can be done now, but one would have to do it line by line & merge all the genrated audio files manually.
thanks for pointing out such improvements. I'm working on a new update wich brings better sorted voices with information about the language. The second part you are suggesting is very interesting! I'll note this as considered feature. Thank you for writing down your ideas. This helps a lot.
I wish I could tell you how this app worked and so on, but I didn't manage to get it open. At all.
I am using it to read my text book to me, so it would be nice if it had a pause button so that i can take the parts i like and highlight it… but it doesn't.. I guess if your just using it for giggles its good.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.