Speaky - Voice Reader & Speed Reading for Web Articles, Text Entries and PDF
By Sandratra Razafindralambo
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
It's often really hard to find the time to read everything on your reading list. Speaky is a very efficient way to solve that problem because you don't have to read your web articles yourself anymore, this app does it for you. Take any web article or PDF from any website and have it read out loud to you.
Speaky is an incredible app to boost your productivity, but it's also a very powerful tool. It is currently used by doctors for speech and language therapy, teachers and students who want to learn a new language, people with dyslexia or visual impairment. Speaky was featured on the New York Magazine, Lifehacker, TUAW, AppAdvice, AppSaga, iPadInsight, TeacherTechnologies and recommended by Appcessible and AppleVis (blind and low-vision users of Apple products).
How it works? Give the link to Speaky and that's it. It will extract the main content, detect the language and read it out loud to you. You can retrieve content from any website/PDF, create manual entries or use your Pocket's queue. Speaky also supports background audio so if you want to switch to another app or lock your device and still enjoy your article, you can.
Speaky is great not just on the iPhone, but on the iPad as well where Speaky takes great advantage of the expanded iPad canvas. And if you have an Apple Watch, you can control the entire Speaky experience directly from your wrist.
"Articles in your Speaky queue play without an internet connection, so you can breeze through a New Yorker treatise as you ride the subway or catch up on world news on your next international flight." - New York Magazine
"The Pocket integration really makes it a lot easier to catch up on those articles you put off on reading." - Lifehacker
"I gave Speaky some TUAW articles to read, as well as something longer from GoogleNews: all worked fine, with no incidents or problems. [...] Speaky is the kind of functionality that would be nice to see built into iOS" - TUAW (Engadget)
"Speaky is an app which highlights why the iPad is so cool. Very simply, all the app does is read webpages and text to you." - iPadInsight
"It’s perfect for that morning commute when you don’t have time to read through that entire article. Speaky is easy to use, so grab it." - AppSaga
• Simple and intuitive interface
• Speak and Speed Reading modes
• Web articles, PDF and Text entries
• Spoken text displayed and highlighted
• Smart extraction (No ads, Multiple-page support)
• No internet connection required for reading entries
• Multiple voices for all languages supported by iOS
• Apple Watch app to control Speaky from your wrist
• Share Extension to add entries from other apps
• Today Widget to get a quick overview of your reading list
• Handoff support to continue your readings between devices
• Dark Mode for better comfort in low-light scenarios
• Settings to customize your experience (Language, Voice rate, etc.)
• Multitasking and Background audio support (Control center, Lockscreen)
• Universal app that runs great on all Apple devices: iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad and Apple Watch
• Chinese (China, Hong Kong SAR China, Taiwan)
• Dutch (Belgium, Netherlands)
• English (Australia, Ireland, South Africa, United Kingdom, United States)
• French (Canada, France)
• Portuguese (Brazil, Portugal)
Speaky is mainly focused on extracting and reading web articles, simple PDF files and manual text entries. It is not compatible with other file formats such as .doc, .txt, .rtf, etc.
What's New in Version 2.6
I’m working hard on Speaky and today I have some great new features to introduce based on your feedback:
• Settings can now be accessed directly from the player (upper right button)
• Better local extraction with updated algorithm
• Manual text entries can now be shared
• New "Edit Entry" option in Quick Options
• Voice Rate can now be lower
• New PDF files support
• New Speed Reading mode
• New Current Theme setting
• New Voice Volume setting
• New Text Highlighting Color setting
• New Default Mode setting
• New Carinal Red theme
• Minor bug fixes
Speaky never prompts you for a review because I don't want to interrupt you. I know that if you’re enjoying Speaky, you will take a minute to leave a review. They’re greatly appreciated and the 5 stars are really helpful. If you've previously left a review, I'd appreciate it if you would repost it as reviews are reset with every update. Thanks for your support!
Awesome app. I read an article about it in Lifehacker and decided to give it a try and I'm very happy with it. Works exactly as adverstised and it's just perfect for my morning routine. I love the Pocket integration because I don't really use the clipboard to add new items but I import everything from my Pocket queue.
Very simple and wonderful.
This app works wonderfully. It makes it easy to 'read' articles when I do not have time to sit down and read them the old school way. Highly recommend it.
The Best TTS App
This is a simple and rock solid text-to-speech app. It can handle all the languages supported by iOS. It is also great for language learning.
I very much enjoy using this app and recommend it to anyone looking for a good text-to-speech app. It definitely deserves five stars.
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: Jul 21, 2015
- Version: 2.6
- Size: 3.5 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Language: English
- Seller: Sandratra Razafindralambo
- © 2015 - Sandratra Razafindralambo
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.