Special Numbers contains a set of activities to help develop early number skills, including counting, matching, ordering, comparing and selecting. Easily adapted for all abilities, with choice of number range, pace, visual objects and use of sound.
We have designed the app in collaboration with parents, children, teachers and educational psychologists, and with reference to research into how children acquire mathematics skills.
What parents and professionals say:
“A really well thought out app with clear graphics and a large range of variables” – Hilary, computer specialist at The Champion Centre in New Zealand.
“This app is an excellent way to help the user understand all the different parts to a number: the name, symbol, value and order. The different settings under each activity really help to make this a great app for users of all abilities” – BridgingApps.
All the activities have been created to be accessible and hold the attention of children with learning difficulties including Down syndrome, autism, poor fine motor skills and hearing impairment. Also appeals to typically developing children.
Special Numbers is suitable for use at home, at school, in nursery or kindergarten, and in therapy sessions.
• Match the Numbers
• Order the Numbers
• Same or Different?
• How Many?
• Into the Box
Settings you can adjust include:
• Range of numbers (between 0 and 20, depending on activity)
• Objects to use (digits, words, balls, animals, flowers, pencils, bugs, clocks and dominoes)
• Fonts (including our own font with easy-to-read digits and letters)
• When and where to use the built in sounds
• Speed of animations (to adjust the pace of the activities)
Special Numbers includes text, audio and a quick start guide in English (both American and British), Catalan, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Norwegian, Polish, Spanish and Turkish. You can quickly and easily add your own text and voice for any language.
Special iApps is a multi-award-winning nonprofit social enterprise that specializes in creating apps for those with learning disabilities and additional needs.
• Compatible with iOS 12.1 and new iPad Pro
• Compatible with iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max and iPhone XR
Ratings and Reviews
Finally an app worthy of my child with DS
I have tried many so called "apps for special needs kids". This one is the first that is clearly written and authored by people who have children or know children living with Down syndrome. The wide variety of configuration settings allow the app to be wonderfully tailored to my child's unique learning style. Well done. Will recommend. Worth every penny.
It would be helpful to have a more or less activity esp for price. Also, not thrilled with the sad face as a meaning for different. I like the concepts though
- Special iApps C.I.C.
- 22.9 MB
- Requires iOS 8.2 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, Catalan, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Spanish, Turkish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2012-2018 Special iApps C.I.C.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.