With Special Stories you can easily create your own stories, visual schedules and wonderful memories, with your own text, images and sound.
An invaluable app for visual learners, to promote language acquisition, word, picture and sound recognition, speech and sight-reading. Used worldwide to create social stories.
Ideal for use at home, preschool, school and in therapy sessions such as SLP and occupational therapy.
Children and young adults with additional needs often need visual instructions and guidance with social skills. Special Stories allows you to lessen the stress by using familiar images and your own words and voice to ensure they are prepared for social situations.
Special Stories is widely used for:
• Making photo albums about vacations, trips, and other events
• Improving reading skills
• Encouraging development of spoken language skills
• Creating talking books
• Helping with social skills
• Explaining step-by-step tasks
• Practising foreign language skills
• Sharing information between home and school
• Sharing news with distant family and friends
• Organising stories into collections to create a personal library
The possibilities are endless. You can easily add photos of places, people, objects or even your child’s artwork, to create unique and wonderful books to keep and share.
This app has an extensive range of sharing options:
• Copy content to and from the Special Stories app on another phone or tablet
• Exchange stories using AirDrop, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, email, Dropbox or Google Drive
• Open in iBooks (with sound), print stories directly or send as PDF
• Transfer content to and from our Special Words app, to extend the learning process
The app includes a quick start guide in 18 languages, including English, Spanish, Dutch and German, but the app can be used to create stories in any language.
Special iApps is a multi-award-winning nonprofit social enterprise that specialises in creating apps for those with learning disabilities and additional needs.
• New language: Albanian
• Bug fixes
Ratings and Reviews
Top App To Use With All Children!!!
Dear Special iApps,
Your application special stories is one of the best applications on the whole market today.
When using special stories, I created a basic story about my classroom. It was mind blowing the many uses this program can have. Working as a teacher of students with disabilities, encorporating social stories is key to the learning process. I utilize social stories for teaching positive behaviors and unlearning negative behaviors. Your program special stories will now give my social stories more life with an even greater personalized meaning to my students. Thank you for everything. For becoming a non-profit organization and producing this amazing application. Thank you so much!!!
Not what I expected
I like this app just fine. However, I was under the impression that there were some stock or default stories that I could use. However, you have to provide your own pictures and texts for any story that you want to have. Would have been good information before spending $20. But still usable for my speech and language clients- just more effort than I first realized.
Developer Response ,
Hi, we don't include stock stories in the app, as people have very varying requirements for the content of these. What you may find very useful are the free add-on stories you can download from our website: www.specialiapps.org/resources. You can use these as they are, or update them with your own content or copy pages from them to other stories.
audio is not working well
I purchased this app for my daughter who has language deficit. When I am preparing the social stories, often the voice recording thing is not working. When I reset everything it is working for few minutes and then not working again. It is quite frustrating. I wish if somebody could address this issue or fix it.
Developer Response ,
We're sorry you had a problem recording your voice. This was a known issue, which we fixed in an update to the app soon after you reported it.
- Special iApps C.I.C.
- 23.2 MB
- Requires iOS 8.2 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, Albanian, Catalan, Croatian, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish, Ukrainian
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2011-2018 Special iApps C.I.C.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.