Award-winning app turning screen time into an active learning experience by creating engaging social stories. A perfect tool for visual storytelling designed to break learning down into small steps.
Transforming lives in 100+ countries, Special Stories supports children’s communication and language skills, as well as making progress with their education and personal development.
Areas of Development
• Improve sight-reading skills
• Promote language acquisition
• Improve listening and spoken language
• Develop writing skills
• Encourage word, pictures and sound recognition
• Help with social skills
Endless Possibilities with Special Stories
• Explain step-by-step tasks
• Create social stories and visual schedules
• Share information between home and school, with distant family and friends
• Teach academic and social skills
• Make photo albums about vacations and special events
Personalized to Suit Abilities
• Use your own photographs to create unique books to keep and share
• Add your own text to progress from single words to short phrases and longer sentences
• Include personalized audio to bring stories to life
• Tap or automatically advance stories to the next page
• Use at home, school and in speech therapy sessions
Share Your Stories
• Copy content to and from the app on another phone or tablet
• Exchange stories using AirDrop, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Dropbox, Google Drive or email
• Open in Apple Books, print stories directly or send as PDF
• Transfer content to and from our Special Words app to extend the learning process
Accessible For All
• Support for switch control using Bluetooth and USB switches for those unable to use a touch screen
• Choice of fonts, including OpenDyslexic and our own Special Letters with easy to read characters, plus a large text option
• Support for Smart Invert Colors which can be helpful for those with visual impairment
Reviews from Parents and Professionals
“I spend so much time making and laminating personal books, stories and flash cards for my son, but at last, an app that does it all in the blink of an eye! So easy to use and quick to make really motivating stories.”
Helen Taylor, Teacher
“Special Stories is a simple app with an endless amount of scope for children with communication difficulties and disabilities.”
Fundamentally Children, Good App Guide Recommended
“Ava takes photos of her day and creates a story which we look at when she gets home. That way it feels like we are sharing the experience together. It’s a wonderful way to explore the world and encourage SEN children to open up about the way they are interact with the environment around them.”
Denise Wilson-Bainbridge, Parent and Special Educational Needs Coordinator
Speak Your Language
• User interface provided in 18 languages: Albanian, Catalan, Croatian, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese (Brazil), Romanian, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish and Ukrainian
• Create a story in any language, a great way to support multilingual children, as well as to teach English as an additional language
Why Our Apps Are Different
• Visually clear and simple, with no distracting backgrounds or noises
• Tested and recommended by Down syndrome and ASD experts and organizations around the world
• No in-app purchases, pop-up ads or user tracking
• Developed in collaboration with parents, professionals and teachers of children with special educational needs
Part of the Special iApps Family
Special iApps is a multi-award-winning non-profit social enterprise with a worldwide reputation for creating educational apps for those with learning disabilities and additional needs, as well as in preschool education. They initially created apps to teach their youngest son William, who has Down syndrome and autism, now they support children in 100+ countries and 27+ languages.
• Bug fixes
Ratings and Reviews
Top App To Use With All Children!!!
Dear Special iApps,
Your application special stories is one of the best applications on the whole market today.
When using special stories, I created a basic story about my classroom. It was mind blowing the many uses this program can have. Working as a teacher of students with disabilities, encorporating social stories is key to the learning process. I utilize social stories for teaching positive behaviors and unlearning negative behaviors. Your program special stories will now give my social stories more life with an even greater personalized meaning to my students. Thank you for everything. For becoming a non-profit organization and producing this amazing application. Thank you so much!!!
Not what I expected
I like this app just fine. However, I was under the impression that there were some stock or default stories that I could use. However, you have to provide your own pictures and texts for any story that you want to have. Would have been good information before spending $20. But still usable for my speech and language clients- just more effort than I first realized.
Developer Response ,
Hi, we don't include stock stories in the app, as people have very varying requirements for the content of these. What you may find very useful are the free add-on stories you can download from our website: www.specialiapps.org/resources. You can use these as they are, or update them with your own content or copy pages from them to other stories.
audio is not working well
I purchased this app for my daughter who has language deficit. When I am preparing the social stories, often the voice recording thing is not working. When I reset everything it is working for few minutes and then not working again. It is quite frustrating. I wish if somebody could address this issue or fix it.
Developer Response ,
We're sorry you had a problem recording your voice. This was a known issue, which we fixed in an update to the app soon after you reported it.
- Special iApps C.I.C.
- 23.2 MB
Requires iOS 8.2 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Albanian, Catalan, Croatian, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish, Ukrainian
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2011-2019 Special iApps C.I.C.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.