This is the Pro edition of Special Words, our award winning, tried and tested app that transforms the lives of children with learning disabilities and additional needs.
The Pro edition is ideal for educators, therapists, and parents wishing to do more with their child. It offers everything in the standard edition, plus:
• Free access to our growing online library of curriculum-related content (requires registration)
• Printable PDF assessment sheets for recording progress
• Printing of cards (with words or images) for use in complementary paper-based activities
• Dual control using external keyboards (to guide child through activities and adjust settings)
To compare editions, visit www.specialiapps.org/app/special-words.
An invaluable app for visual learners to promote language acquisition, word, picture and sound recognition, speech and sight-reading. An excellent tool for parents, teachers and health professionals.
Designed for communication and language development for early years as well as for older children. Adaptable to any development stage and for adults with learning difficulties or memory impairment.
What parents and professionals say about Special Words:
“This is without a doubt the best app I have come across for children with special needs. My son signs for more as soon he completes one set of words!” – Helen, parent and teacher.
“I think Special Words is great! I use it at home with my own child who has Down syndrome and at work where I supported a child with autism in school. Both children find it easy to use and get a lot out of it. I find it quick and easy to add my own resources to make it personal and special to each child.” – Angela, learning support assistant.
“Special Words is helping my son to improve his speech, pronunciation, fine motor skills, hand eye co-ordination, recognition of words and objects. The app can be changed to grow with him as his vocabulary expands. It is brilliant for children with additional learning needs.” – Sue, Makaton trainer.
Suitable for use at home, preschool, school and in sessions such as speech therapy and occupational therapy. For home schooling, you can create your own profiles to follow the curriculum and enhance learning.
• Encourage speaking and help with clarity
• Increase sight word vocabulary
• Develop hand-eye co-ordination
• Improve fine motor skills
• Encourage listening and language skills
• Personalize with your own words, photos and audio
• Develop and build confidence
• Easy to monitor progress
• Can be fully customised to grow with your child
You can transfer content to and from our Special Stories app, to extend the learning process even further.
Special Words has been shown to be accessible and hold the attention of children with autism, Down syndrome, poor fine motor skills, hearing impairment and other learning difficulties, as well as being appealing to typically developing children.
Includes 96 pictures and matching written and spoken words in 27 languages. This app can also be controlled using Bluetooth and USB switches.
Special iApps is a multi-award-winning non-profit social enterprise that specializes in creating apps for those with learning disabilities and additional needs. All of our apps are developed in association with parents, healthcare and education professionals.
• Bug fixes
- Special iApps C.I.C.
- 59.9 MB
- Requires iOS 8.2 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, Afrikaans, Albanian, Bulgarian, Catalan, Croatian, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Hindi, Icelandic, Italian, Luxembourgish, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish, Ukrainian, Welsh
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2018 Special iApps C.I.C.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.