Pacing is a technique employed by professionals and parents to help students/children slow down their speech, and by so doing, increase their fluency and intelligibility. Traditionally, a child would tap on a pacing ‘board’ (piece of wood divided into segments); once, for each word or syllable he/she verbalized. With this Speech Pacer Plus App, the physical wooden board is replaced by buttons on the screen.
1. Click on the icon for the Speech Pacer Plus
2. A Set-up page will appear
3. The professional/parent can set the buttons, animation, and sound, as desired using the on/off buttons
4. The number of buttons the child needs to tap can be chosen at the bottom of the page (5 – 10 large buttons for either iPad or iPhone/Pod; 8 or 10 small buttons for only the iPad)
5. Once the number of buttons has been chosen, the Pacing screen appears
6. The child must tap each button while verbalizing his/her phrase or sentence (one for each word or syllable)
7. As each button is pressed, the options chosen by the professional/parent will become apparent; that is:
a.The button pressed will click and change colour (or not)
b.An animated reinforcer will appear (or not)
c.An animation sound will be heard (or not)
d.The button to be pressed next will be outlined in red (or not)
8. The child may continue to press the buttons in a left-to-right sequence as many times as he/she needs to finish his/her verbalization
iso 7.0 Support
Ratings and Reviews
I use this with my LD kids
Works very well with my LD son
My son uses this app the therapist recommended to control the pace of Joel's reading. It forces him to read each word.
We use the rewards although not with the sounds
I use this in my Practice as a SLP
I have been looking for something to eliminate the tapper I use in my practice.
This fits the bill. I do turned off the rewards for my adult clients.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.