Speech Therapy for Apraxia - Words
By Blue Whale Apps Inc
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Speech Therapy for Apraxia-Words is a convenient, effective tool for:
• children with Childhood Apraxia of Speech/dyspraxia
• adults with apraxia
• use by anyone working with individuals with apraxia, either therapists or parents
• can also be used for traditional articulation practice
Developed by the National Association for Child Development team, including a certified speech-language pathologist, this app practices articulation at the word level and is a logical follow-up to the original syllable-based app, Speech Therapy for Apraxia. This newer version provides choices of different patterns of articulation within words and moves through a progression of levels that challenge motor planning for speech. It begins at the production of single words with easier patterns of articulation and progresses through increasingly more difficult production sequences all the way to the production of sequences of random words.
::: Features ::::
• Choose from 9 different word groups to target.
• Words are categorized according to place of articulation of the phonemes and pattern of articulation within the word.
• For each group, choose the level at which to practice.
• Detailed instructions explain how to choose an appropriate word group and practice level.
• Moves through a logical progression of 8 different levels for motor planning for speech.
• Illustration and audio provided for each word.
• Option to repeat levels, reset, or move to next level.
• Can also be used for straight articulation drill for particular types of phonemes.
:: What People Are Saying ::
"My youngest has speech apraxia. He struggles daily to be understood. We use many therapies but this app is one of my favorites. Honestly I feel this app has been instrumental in the progress he's made."
"As an SLP I find this app useful for many of the children I see, who struggle with producing speech sound."
What's New in Version 1.2
- misc bug fixes and improvements
- progress tracking in app purchase
Wonderful app for adult stroke survivor
My husband suffered a massive stroke 2 years ago & has had to learn how to talk again. He started using the NACD Apraxia app during speech therapy. The therapist suggested we download it to practice at home. When I did a search on the App Store I saw the NACD Apraxia Words app. My husband had been asking for words to go with the syllables during therapy so this app was perfect. We downloaded the words app & started using it at home without telling the therapist. One day during therapy we showed them what we had been doing & they were pleasantly surprised! We will be downloading the 2 syllable app soon. Maybe someday there will be an app for phrases &/or sentences. Thank you very much for this app!!
Like this app for my speech students with apraxia. Wish there were a way to select or deselect words for practice. Younger children don't know words like "bumper" and "limeade". If you have to stop in the middle of a string of practice words to tell them what the word is you are not getting the benefit of connecting longer syllable strings. Also would be nice to be able to select or desert certain phonemes; for example "l" from the alveolars. If there were a professional version that would recall performance for multiple kids it would be great!
Great! One comment . . .
I love this app and the others in the series and I use them almost every day with my most severe students. I was working with the velar-velar set with a fourth grade boy when to my horror a picture of a rooster popped up - only it was the word for rooster that fits the velar-velar pattern. I'm all for teaching multiple meaning words but this was not the word I would have introduced for a school age child. Is there a way I could eliminate that word from the rotation?
Thank you, Savannah SLP
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Medical
- Updated: Dec 02, 2013
- Version: 1.2
- Size: 60.3 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Blue Whale Apps, Inc.
- © 2017 Blue Whale Apps
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.1 or later. Compatible with iPad.