By Zach Gage
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Looking for a word game that goes beyond a simple Scrabble/Boggle/Jumble clone? SpellTower is for you.
Finally the Word Game Everyone is Talking About Comes to Mac!
! The #1 Word Game on the Mac App Store !
As seen in Apple's October Keynote!
As Mentioned In The New York Times Magazine, Wired Magazine, NPR, Forbes, and Apple's Recent Press Tour!
Best Word Game! - 148Apps' 2011 Best App Ever Awards
- Touch Arcade's Favorite Puzzle game of 2011 -
Ranked #2 in Mashable's Top 10 iPhone Word Games
"Simple, stylish and furiously addictive. Far and away the best ‘pure’ word game on iOS." 5/5 stars - Tap! Magazine
"I'm obsessed, I'm ignoring my family!" - John Moe, NPR Marketplace
"guaranteed to entertain" - IGN
"by far one of the best [word puzzle games] in recent years" - 4.5/5 Stars - Editors Choice - 148Apps
"SpellTower is an extraordinary word game that deserves a place among the best of the genre." - 4/4 - SlideToPlay
"The Boggle Tetris That We Needed"
- Kotaku's Gaming App of The Day
"A must-buy for word fiends, SpellTower is an uncommonly attractive and thoughtfully designed puzzler" - 9/10 - Gold Award - Pocket Gamer
"Elegant, clever and fun. Proof That Word Games Can Be Beautiful" - 5/5 Stars - TouchArcade
"Nervy, humbling, and strangely energizing. If you can handle the stress, SpellTower is magnificent" - 8/10 - EDGE Magazine
"A superb word game... for anyone in your household who loves a good word teaser, even the most technologically-challenged. Grab it and start spelling!" - JayIsGames
"I expect to be playing for a long time" - ZTGD
"It's Boggle on crack... only costs 2$, and your life." - Weekend Confirmed
* Tested.com App of The Day! *
"The best word game you haven't played", "A brain-picking puzzler" - Pitchfork / KillScreen Magazine
"I’m already convinced SpellTower is a significantly better game [than PopCap’s Bookworm]."
Find and swipe (or tap!) words in 4 challenging modes. Make long words or use bonus tiles to clear extra letters from the screen!
* RE-IMAGINED FOR MAC *
- Support For Retina MacBook Pro
- Supports Game Center in Mountain Lion (10.8)
- Three Ways To Control Make SpellTower Feel Great Even Without a Touch Screen!
1. Hold and Drag
2. Click Each Letter
3. Click to start spelling, Click again to submit
* WORDS + STRATEGY = AWESOME *
Pick your words wisely! As you work, more tiles rise from the bottom of the screen, and it'll take all of your lexicological wits and tactical know-how to keep them down. If any of the letters make it to the top row, it's game over.
* FOUR AMAZING MODES *
- TOWER MODE : No pressure here. Try and get the highest score possible out of 150 letters, eliminating small words to set up 7- and 8-letter blockbusters!
- PUZZLE MODE : Every word you make adds a new row of letters! Strategic word finding at its best.
- EXTREME PUZZLE MODE : Puzzle mode with the minimum word length cranked up. Experts only!
- RUSH MODE : Rows of letters build up over time. Find words as fast as you can, but be careful you don't back yourself into a corner!
GAME CENTER leader boards and achievements for each mode and highest scoring word!
There is a rare bug in 10.8 that can cause Game Center to block game usage. This bug is not in SpellTower itself.
Hopefully Apple will fix it soon, but in the meantime, here is a workaround:
1) Open "System Preferences" -> click the "Network" icon
2) Choose your active internet connection from the list and click on "Advanced" on the right side of the window
3) Click "DNS" at the top of the window then the "+" near the bottom
4) add 188.8.131.52 to the DNS Servers section, also add 184.108.40.206 then click "Ok"
5) Click "Apply
What's New in Version 3.2
Resizable play window! finally!
I'm so sorry this took so long!
Room for improvement
This is an okay game, with a few nice features, like the volume control, the tutorial, the night time view. It functions nicely -- no crashing or glitches -- and is easy on the eyes.
I agree with others in regard to questioning the word source or authority used in developing the game. Some fairly common words are not recognized by the game.
Some things that are not currently available features, but which the developer might consider adding: a brief explanation of the scorekeeping; an "undo move" (I'm old -- my fingers make mistakes); a way to reset or clear out the overall scores (or the game), so someone else can play, or in case you feel you've maxed out your ability and want to start from "0" again.
The mechanics get repetitive after a while the game is forced on to a player which is the repetitive element.
Rip off Power
I bought this great little game yesterday - and much to my surprise it crashed and burned in the tutorial - and then I could not even play long enough to complete one level in the game itself. Save your money if your using it on a MacBook. Pity that you can sell such an unworkable product on the App Store without ensuring that the program functions. But meh… it’s just another way for the hipster doofuses to rake in a buck. Have a Latte on me boys.