SPQR Latin Dictionary and Reader
By Paul Hudson
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
SPQR is the ultimate learning tool for Latin students who want to immerse themselves in the language, presenting the most comprehensive Latin dictionary on the App Store, dozens of Latin texts with English translations, a grammar tester, flashcards, quiz, numeral converter, quotes of ancient wisdom, language learning tools and more.
*** TEACHERS: You can save 50% off the price of SPQR by using Apple's App Store Volume Purchase Program for education - visit http://www.romansgohome.com/education for more information ***
Here are just some of the features:
- Full, fast and searchable copy of the Lewis & Short Latin lexicon - it searches as you type, showing either short definitions or full definitions along with citations.
- Parse any Latin word to English, regardless of conjugation - includes full breakdown of the word's form.
- Full copies of classic texts in their original Latin, grouped either by author or genre, including: the Gallic War and Civil War by Julius Caesar, Res Gestae by Augustus, the Twelve Caesars by Suetonius, the Amores by Ovid, the poems of Catullus, the Aeneid, Georgicon and Eclogues by Virgil, the Metamorphoses by Apuleius, five landmark speeches by Cicero (including In Verrem!), plus Horace, Juvenal, Vitruvius and more!
- Most of our Latin texts come with parallel English translations, which means you can be reading Caesar's original Latin description of his battles in Gaul, then tap a button and jump to an English translation exactly where you left off - flip between languages to check your translation as often as you want!
- New "Church fathers" mode that gives you the Bible in English and Latin, plus Augustine's Confessions and Bede's Ecclesiastical History of the English People.
- Students can use the built-in grammar test to check their skill at Latin conjugation; teachers can use the new exam mode to generate tests for classes in seconds.
- When you find a new word, use SPQR's flashcards system to practice your vocabulary as you learn.
- Our built-in classics quiz has over 4000 questions on the ancient world to test your knowledge.
- Included in the app are full copies of Allen & Greenough's New Latin Grammar, plus Fabulae Faciles, Bennet's New Latin Grammar and The Comic Latin Grammar - we've even added Edward Gibbon's epic work The Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire for good measure.
- Dozens of quotes from ancient Roman sources, along with their English translations.
- Set Access Controls to restrict features based on student needs.
- PLUS: take advantage of the integrated Roman numeral converter, experience Caesar's Gallic War in word-for-word mode, try your hand at the Sortes Virgilianae, get up close to Ancient Rome with our exclusive photo collection, and more!
SPQR is the app no serious Latin student should be without!
*** WHAT USERS ARE SAYING ***
"I teach both high school and college Latin classes. This is a great tool. To the creator: gratias multas! Everything he/she writes on the app advertisement page is accurate." - Magister McNair
"Wow... This has to be the best app I've ever spent money on. You could spend months just reading all the content it has, and the dictionary is just as useful as any official one." - Toop777
"The sheer volume of material is nearly overwhelming. Definitely worth the price." - Kevbo SF
"I bought this app a couple of days ago, and am still coming to terms with how fabulous it is... If you love (or even like) Latin, I can't imagine you could be disappointed with this app. It does all that the creator promises, and it does it oh so well." - TuTubusLatinus
"This app is a Swiss Army Knife of Latin resources. As it is it's good enough for anyone who is comfortable reading Latin and wants to keep his classic texts all in one convenient app." - Jerrykim
What's New in Version 3.3
FIXED: Some grammar test users were seeing the "Submit Answer" button overlap one of the options.
If you enjoy SPQR, please try our other classical apps: Latin Hangman, Certamen, Latin Word Search, Mythology, Latin Builder, Latin Scramble, Ancient Greek and Latin Pairs!
Best Latin App. No question about it.
As a student of Latin in the modern age where one doesn't wish to carry around many books and dictionaries to study SPQR stands out as the most important tool available!!! Not only is there an excellent dictionary with the ability to help students parse declined nouns and conjugated verbs but there are so many other features that must be appreciated including: grammar books, Latin classical authors, and flashcards just to name a few features. All of this at a very reasonable price.
This (and several other) unbelievable app(s) are the brainchild of Paul Hudson. We who use his app quickly realize that we all owe him our gratitude. If you are studying Latin and don't yet have this app: Stop everything you are doing and get it!!!!!!!
I LOVE Latin and have been studying it for seven years. This app has really helped with the finer points of grammar, such as (aliquis vs ullus).
However, the navigation is lacking, with no ability to bookmark, the dictionary won't recognize certain forms of nous — requiring the reader to already be familiar with the word, like pecus-pecudis relative to genus-generis — and the 'look-up' function is convoluted and can't recognize certain homophones.
Also, the dictionary needs to mark all long vowels and not every other short vowel. This is not so much of a problem for me, but makes it difficult for students to translate into Latin.
Good with surprising flaw
I wish this was available when I was taking Latin. It's the best Latin teaching program that I've seen. But I find one problem especially annoying. I can't get rid of the content panel when I'm in portrait mode. There's a button you can press to hide the panel. But when you press it nothing happens. It tells you that the panel is invisible, when, in fact, it's not. Press it again and it tells you it's visible, but that's no news because the panel never went away to begin with. So I couldn't give it a five-star rating. Hope this gets fixed soon.
- Category: Education
- Updated: Nov 15, 2013
- Version: 3.3
- Size: 184 MB
- Languages: English, Bokmål, Norwegian, Catalan, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
- Seller: Paul Hudson
- © 2012 Paul Hudson
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.