Spelling Bee by Squeebles is an app aimed at helping 5 to 11 year old kids practice their spellings in a fun, motivating environment. It allows you to set up your own, personalized spelling tests, as well as download from over 150 pre-recorded tests containing over 1800 words.
"After evaluating many spelling apps, I was so pleasantly surprised while testing out Squeebles Spelling – it’s a winner!" - TeachersWithApps.com
Key Features (from a parent or teacher's perspective):
- Set up your own custom spelling tests containing the exact words your kids need to learn, recording yourself speaking the audio of each word, or download from over 150 pre-recorded spelling tests created by us across 5 difficulty levels.
- Dyslexia-friendly features, including the option of using Open Dyslexic font.
- Accented characters allow you to set up spelling tests for French, Spanish, German or Italian words.
- Individual statistics cover spelling test scores and show incorrect spellings so you can see what each child is struggling with.
- Print each child's previous tests and answers.
- Register unlimited children on any one device
- Share spelling tests between devices or back them up to the cloud using a free KeyStageFun account.
- Customize each child's experience with personalized settings.
- No in-app purchases, no adverts and no internet links for children to accidentally tap on.
- Parent / teacher area can be password protected.
- A motivational reward system for your children keeps them practicing their spellings so they can keep earning further rewards and making progress in the game.
Key Features (from a child's perspective):
- Practice your spellings across 4 different game modes, taking personalized tests set by a parent or teacher, KeyStageFun downloadable tests, random tests and tricky tests.
- "Tricky Words" mode only asks you questions you previously answered incorrectly.
- Consolidate learning by taking one-off tests that choose words randomly from all the words stored in the app.
- Rescue 20 Squeebles from the clutches of the nasty Spelling Snake, including some designed by children who won our "Design a Squeeble" competition. Each Squeeble has its own unique personality, facts and stats.
- Every time you spell a word correctly, you earn turns on the fun "Squeeberang" mini game, where Squeebles fly as far as they can through the air on boomerang-shaped colourful flying machines.
- Collect stars to trade for Squeeberangs and power-ups to use in the Squeeberang game. The more stars you have, the better the Squeeberangs you can get.
- Earn power-ups to use in the game.
- View high scores, stats and the rewards you've won.
The app can be used by kids practicing for a weekly spelling test or spelling bee, or those looking to improve vocabulary ahead of school end of year tests.
From the App Store:
"Love this design! Simple, easy to use, interactive. I have downloaded eight different spelling apps - all four stars +. However, this is the best one I have found for my son." (5 star review)
"We use this app to help my daughter study for her weekly spelling test. It is a great study tool. She gets 100% on almost all of her tests."
"My husband and I enjoyed recording our daughter's weekly spelling words (using silly voices, of course!). My nine year old was giggling as she learned - who knew spelling could be so fun?"
"My daughter practices her spelling list on this every night. It works great, easy to use and set up. She loves earning points to buy squeeberangs. Way more fun than practicing on paper, and helps them find their way around the keyboard too."
If you have any questions or suggestions for features, please e-mail email@example.com
This is a minor update featuring a couple of additions based on customer requests:
- you can now change the number of words featured in a random test on a per-child basis
- you can hide the "exit test" button whilst children are attempting a test to stop them quitting if they make a mistake (also on a per-child basis)
As always, if there are any features you'd like to see us add to the Squeebles apps, please let us know by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Ratings and Reviews
Great, interactive app for 2nd grader!
Love this design! Simple, easy to use, interactive. I have downloaded eight different spelling apps - all four stars +. However, this is the best one I have found for my son. Thank you!
Great learning app!
We use this app to help my daughter study for her weekly spelling test.
It is a great study tool.
She gets 100% on almost all of her tests.
This app is great for young kids and shows them how to spell and pronounce. I think that this is great for all ages. And you can personalize with your voice. It also has a fun game to play with when you get the words right and get to build new records as you play.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.