By Looking Glass
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Squramble is a word game that presents a grid of mixed-up letters. You need to find the valid words that are hidden in the grid by choosing letters from left to right.
The challenge is that you MUST USE ALL THE LETTERS IN THE GRID!
Squramble can be played in grids of 3-by-3, 4-by-4, and 5-by-5, as well as non-square grids such as 3-by-5, 4-by-3, etc. The game chooses 3, 4, or 5 words respectively, mixes them up, and expects you to find them all. If you don't pick the same words that the game chose, you probably won't be able to use all of the letters, though it is quite possible you can complete some puzzles by coming up with your own! Remember, select your words as if you were reading them, left to right.
Tap the HINT button on the game screen to see the process in action. Once you have the hang of it, tap out the words you can find. Every letter "button" will do something when you tap it, so don't be afraid to back up, change your direction, change your mind, UNDO, ask for a hint, or use a shortcut!
Squramble has an EASY PLAY mode where you can do as many puzzles as you wish (with three levels of difficulty), a TIMED mode where you see how quickly you can complete any five puzzles, and a SCORED mode where you try to achieve a high score by completing words and puzzles as quickly as possible.
There are many unique RIBBONS to be earned by beating the highest scores, completing puzzles with words from sets, and working out solutions that are valid but differ from the ones that the game chose.
Squramble is a universal app that works on iPhone, as well as iPhone 4 Retina and iPad with high-resolution graphics.
The app has no advertisements and will not nag you to purchase anything. The free version is limited to puzzles with words that all start with A, B, or C, but there's a whole lot of game with just those three letters. if you wish, you can buy the full word list via in-app purchase, for the price of one song on iTunes.
What's New in Version 1.1
• New “non-square” puzzle sizes
• Still completely free to play for A-C words
• Bug fixes, including fixes to some broken ribbons
• Update 1.1 includes usability enhancements, new puzzle sizes, new ribbons, and bug fixes. Nothing that you loved before has been significantly changed, but some neat new things have been added.
• Squramble is still completely free to play (for puzzles containing the A-C words) and still free of requests for you to buy anything or rate the app. (It would be neat, of course, if you bought the full word list for 99 cents via in-app purchase if you like the game, but that’s up to you...and that right there is the last you’ll hear from us on it.)
• Added new puzzle sizes, as requested by Squramble fans! You can now play the “non-square” puzzle sizes of: 3 Letters x 4 Words, 3L x 5W, 4L x 3W, 4L x 5W, 5L x 3W, and 5L x 4W.
• Added more ribbons! Special/rare ribbons are now signaled with a more-elaborate fireworks display and a more-visible background in the ribbon list.
• Added popup text briefly showing the word just completed and any “wrong” word that is flagged with the “X” mark.
• Puzzle buttons previously shown in RED are now shown in PURPLE, to avoid confusion with the RED text that now shows up for wrong words.
• Added a MORE THANKS button in the help panel, thanking people who took the time to offer us their encouraging words.
• Added a single “helpful hint” that shows up if you press the right arrow three times without exploring the CHANGE THE GAME feature. This was added in response to a comment that implied you could play Squramble at “3x3/Easy/Untimed” for a long time before realizing that additional puzzle sizes and game modes are available, even without purchasing the full word list.
• With the addition of new puzzle sizes, several panels changed to allow you to select those new sizes. In particular, the CHANGE THE GAME panel and the HIGH SCORE panel were updated.
• There were not as many comments from players about the game’s “word dictionary” as we expected. Changes made in this revision were:
o MAT is now an allowed EASY word.
o MOAT is now an allowed EASY word.
o TURN is now an allowed EASY word.
o ION is now an allowed HARD word (making the ribbon “The Science of Matter” accessible).
o AEON is now an allowed word for players to use (but not the game itself).
• Dedicated users informed us of a few ribbons that were not actually achievable, including “Two Straight Across (3-Letter),” “A Stitch in Time Saves Nine,” “Triple X!,” “Mirror Image,” “Opposites Attract (4-Letter),” and “The Science of Matter.” We took time to make sure your 1.0 ribbon collection will port forward into 1.1 without a problem. Also, this time we made sure all of the game’s ribbons really are achievable.
• Changed the detection for rare, invisible “one puzzle word collection” ribbons (such as “Did You Remember To Study?,” intended to be awarded if you randomly encountered MATH and TEST in the same puzzle). The detection code was broken in such a way that you might have been (incorrectly) awarded this ribbon when only ONE of the two words appeared. Those players that have these ribbons will keep them going into Squramble 1.1.
• Modified the HINT engine to handle a rare case where you selected the same (correct) word twice and then asked for a hint. Previously, the HINT engine would just ignore you, because it wasn’t smart enough to remove that second (correct) word to progress toward a solution.
• Extended the text area for the THANKS text on iPhone/iPod Touch. On the iPod touch, the last line wasn't showing up.
• Sorted the list of ribbons, as shown at the end of a puzzle, by “importance.” Rare ribbons are always first, while other ribbons are sorted with the most-frequently seen ones at the end of the list.
This s a great app when you download itt upgrade immediately you won't regret it it is highly addictive.
- Category: Games
- Updated: Jul 25, 2011
- Version: 1.1
- Size: 19.2 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Looking Glass Software
- © 2011 Looking Glass Software
Compatibility: Requires iOS 3.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Full Word List$0.99