A safe place for your notes, thoughts, and life's work.
# It's simple.
Standard Notes is the easiest notes app you'll ever use. That means a more reliable, long-term experience.
# Encrypted writing is your best writing.
You never really know the power of your words until you experience total-privacy for the first time.
Standard Notes uses end-to-end encryption so that:
• We can't read your notes
• Your ISP can't read your notes
• Your government can't read your notes
"Write like no one's watching."
- End-to-end encrypted notes with free cross-platform sync
- Passcode lock and fingerprint lock, with ability to set timing
- Tag notes to organize them in categories
- Pin a note to make sure it's always on top
- Archive a note to stash it away, and unarchive to bring it back
- Auto-save while you type means you never have to worry about accidental data loss
- Offline mode so you can access your notes and create new ones even without an internet connection
- Easy data export option that allows you to backup your entire data set
- Ability to sort notes by when they were created, when you last modified, and by title
- Fast, simple, and easy to use apps, on all your devices, including Mac and Web.
# And so you know, we're in this for the long run.
You want your notes to last as long as you do, and we want our app to serve you for decades to come. Standard Notes is architected on deeply-rooted principles of software longevity and business sustainability.
• We say no to feature requests. Simplicity is the only way forward.
• A sustainable revenue model creates a healthy, long-term environment.
• A non-IPO mindset. We choose longevity over growth.
We're proud to be an open-source notes app. Learn more at standardnotes.org.
- Fixes issue where signing out may indicate it has completed signing out before actually completing.
New from 3.0.2:
- Fixes issue where using the app on iPad in split view would prevent you from changing notes or creating new ones
- Most recent items are now loaded first on app launch, resulting in a smoother loading experience
Ratings and Reviews
Five Plus Stars!
The app works as described: it’s useful, simple, solid, extensible/customizable, secure, user-friendly, clean looking, and fun. Think, perhaps, of the cleanness and exportability of Simplenote/Bear + web access + rock-solid stability + unimpeachable security. (Plus more.)
Also the developer is patient, friendly, and incredibly helpful. I had a non-app, non-workflow related problem related to registration/billing that developer helped me solve through a string of direct, prompt, friendly, and helpful emails over the course of a month.
Now more than ever are security and privacy important. Now more than ever are apps most useful when they are simple, extensible, and allow for transparent data export. And the pricing model is transparent, fair, reasonable, and seemingly sustainable. Now more than ever should we support apps like this.
Very good app
I love the app. Previously I was an Evernote user, and I’ve converted over fully. The convenience of being able to synchronize across as many devices as I like, for free is very good. (Evernote used to limit to 2 devices for free, which was fine. But there was a never ending series of annoying nags asking me to upgrade.)
The encryption of data is really a nice feature.
I would pay a one-time fee for the app!
- No formatting of notes in the free version. No support for markdown. You need to upgrade to get this, and I THINK it’s a monthly charge, not a one time thing.
- for the technically apt, it is theoretically possible to self-host “extensions” which would allow you to get formatting and markdown support. I haven’t done it.
- the API for accessing your notes is convoluted and poorly documented. Which means Automating the creation of notes or the extraction of a library of notes, is not explicitly supported. This amounts to a “lock in” to Standard notes once you start using it. I’ve reverse engineered the API, but there’s no guarantee that it will continue to work, as it’s not documented and supported.
Simple and Secure
I don't usually review apps. In fact, this is my first time ever leaving a review without being prompted to. I just think this is such a great app, and I want everyone to know how awesome it is.
It's the best free encrypted note taking app I've found. It's clean, simple, and -most importantly- secure. Definitely a 5/5 star app, ESPECIALLY considering that it's completely free to use, aside from additional themes and editors that are available to subscribed users. I'm very greatful to the creators of Standard Notes for giving me a free, safe place to write things down. If you're looking for a simple encrypted app to store important information, ideas, thoughts, etc., then this is the app for you.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.