Standard Notes is a simple and private notes app. It syncs your notes securely across all your devices, including your iPhone, iPad, Mac, and web browser.
Private means your notes are end-to-end encrypted, so only you can read your notes. Even we can't read the contents of your notes.
Simple means it does one job and does it well. Standard Notes is a safe and lasting place for your life's work. Our focus is making it easy to write notes wherever you are and syncing them with encryption to all your devices.
Our users love us for:
• Personal Notes
• Tasks & Todos
• Passwords & Keys
• Code & Technical Procedures
• Private Journal
• Meeting Notes
• Cross-platform Scratchpad
• Books, Recipes, & Movies
• Health & Fitness Log
Standard Notes comes free with:
• Seamless sync across all your devices, with easy to use applications on iPhone, iPad, Mac, web browsers, and other platforms.
• Offline access, so you can access your downloaded notes even without a connection.
• No limit on number of devices.
• No limit on number of notes.
• Passcode lock protection, along with Touch ID and Face ID protection.
• A tagging system to organize your notes (like #work, #ideas, #passwords, #crypto).
• The ability to pin, lock, protect, and move notes to trash, which allows you to recover deleted notes until the trash is emptied.
Standard Notes is completely open-source, which means when we say your notes are encrypted with AES-256 encryption, and that only you can read your notes, you don't have to take our word for it. Our code is open to the world to audit.
We made Standard Notes simple because longevity is important to us. We want to make sure we're here, protecting your notes, for the next hundred years. You shouldn't have to find a new notes app every year.
To sustain our development, we offer an optional paid program called Standard Notes Extended. Extended gives you access to powerful tools including:
• Productivity editors (like Markdown, Code, Spreadsheets)
• Beautiful themes (like Midnight, Focus, Solarized Dark)
• Powerful cloud tools including daily backups of your encrypted data delivered to your email inbox every day, or backed up to your cloud provider (like Dropbox and Google Drive).
You can learn more about Extended at standardnotes.org/extended.
We're always happy to talk, whether it be a question, thought, or issue. Please feel free to email us any time at firstname.lastname@example.org. When you take the time to send us a message, we'll be sure to do the same.
- Fixes issue where entering Touch ID or Face ID after passcode could, in very rare cases, result in a failed unlock.
- More clearly distinguishes mobile default editor. You can long press on an editor to choose to make it your default mobile editor.
- When an Extended editor fails to load (due to being offline), you'll now be able to use the plain editor right away, without having to switch.
- Fixes issue where Extended editor content could be hidden behind keyboard.
- Fixes issue on iPad where keyboard could block + button to add new note.
Ratings and Reviews
Five Plus Stars!
The app works as described: it’s useful, simple, solid, extensible/customizable, secure, user-friendly, clean looking, and fun. Think, perhaps, of the cleanness and exportability of Simplenote/Bear + web access + rock-solid stability + unimpeachable security. (Plus more.)
Also the developer is patient, friendly, and incredibly helpful. I had a non-app, non-workflow related problem related to registration/billing that developer helped me solve through a string of direct, prompt, friendly, and helpful emails over the course of a month.
Now more than ever are security and privacy important. Now more than ever are apps most useful when they are simple, extensible, and allow for transparent data export. And the pricing model is transparent, fair, reasonable, and seemingly sustainable. Now more than ever should we support apps like this.
Very good app
I love the app. Previously I was an Evernote user, and I’ve converted over fully. The convenience of being able to synchronize across as many devices as I like, for free is very good. (Evernote used to limit to 2 devices for free, which was fine. But there was a never ending series of annoying nags asking me to upgrade.)
The encryption of data is really a nice feature.
I would pay a one-time fee for the app!
- No formatting of notes in the free version. No support for markdown. You need to upgrade to get this, and I THINK it’s a monthly charge, not a one time thing.
- for the technically apt, it is theoretically possible to self-host “extensions” which would allow you to get formatting and markdown support. I haven’t done it.
- the API for accessing your notes is convoluted and poorly documented. Which means Automating the creation of notes or the extraction of a library of notes, is not explicitly supported. This amounts to a “lock in” to Standard notes once you start using it. I’ve reverse engineered the API, but there’s no guarantee that it will continue to work, as it’s not documented and supported.
Simple and Secure
I don't usually review apps. In fact, this is my first time ever leaving a review without being prompted to. I just think this is such a great app, and I want everyone to know how awesome it is.
It's the best free encrypted note taking app I've found. It's clean, simple, and -most importantly- secure. Definitely a 5/5 star app, ESPECIALLY considering that it's completely free to use, aside from additional themes and editors that are available to subscribed users. I'm very greatful to the creators of Standard Notes for giving me a free, safe place to write things down. If you're looking for a simple encrypted app to store important information, ideas, thoughts, etc., then this is the app for you.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.