By ESCAPE VELOCITY LIMITED
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
*** Star Chart is now FREE! *** The top educational & augmented reality astronomy app - download and find out why over 18 million people use Star Chart!
You can now have a virtual star chart in your pocket. Look through the eyes of your iPhone or iPad* to see a high-tech window into the whole visible universe.
All you have to do is point your AR enabled device* at the sky and Star Chart will tell you exactly what you are looking at.
Using state of the art GPS technology, an accurate 3D simulation of the visible universe, and a great deal of technical wizardry, Star Chart calculates – in real time - the current location of every star, planet and moon visible from Earth and shows you precisely where they are; even in broad daylight!
Want to know what that bright star is called? Point your device* at it – you might just find out it’s a planet!
Want to know what the night sky looks like to people on the other side of the earth? Well just point your device down!
Want to know where your star sign is in the sky? Star Chart will tell you all this and more.
Star Charts features include:
- Just point and view. When you hold your device up to the sky, Star Chart will automatically start tracking your movements to match the sky *.
- Alternatively, look around the sky using finger gestures – perfect for armchair astronomers!
- In a single app of less than 30MB, Star Chart dynamically scales its visuals and capabilities across all iOS devices to meet the high end capabilities of a retina display iPad while also running smoothly on the earliest iPhones and iPods.
- Accurately depicts all the visible stars of the northern and southern hemispheres - a total of approximately 120,000 stars!
- Fly to and explore all the planets of the solar system, their moons and the sun all rendered in beautiful 3D with state of the art visual effects.
- Using the powerful Time Shift feature, simply tap the time button and smoothly shift up to 10,000 years forward or backward in time.
- Displays all 88 constellations, with constellation imagery based on the beautiful artwork by 17th century astronomer Johannes Hevelius.
- Includes the complete Messier catalogue of 110 exotic deep sky objects.
- Tap on anything in the sky and get the facts on what you are looking at, including distance and brightness.
- Very powerful zoom function, lets you view the sky in extra detail, using intuitive finger gestures.
- Fully configurable. Star Chart displays only the sky objects that you are interested in.
- Allows you to view the sky underneath the horizon. So now you can see where the sun is, even at night!
- Manually set your location to find out what the sky looks like from anywhere in the world.
- Supports dynamic device orientation viewing. Allows you to view the night sky whilst holding your iPhone/iPad* at any angle.
So point your iPhone/iPad* at the sky and see what's out there!
* Augmented Reality mode is available on devices that include a built-in compass. Manual scrolling is supported on all other devices.
Star Chart is published by Escape Velocity Ltd and developed by Escapist Games Ltd. We update Star Chart regularly, so please send us your feedback and feature requests to firstname.lastname@example.org.
And thanks for all your feedback so far!
Like us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/starchart
Follow Star Chart on Twitter: StarChartApp
What's New in Version 3.95
- bug fix for AR Mode not working when Settings>Privacy>Location Services>System Services>Compass Calibration is set to off. This prevents Star Chart from getting a reading for True North, and so now it falls back on using Magnetic North in this situation.
Buy this app!
I am a child of the X-3 and all later air/space craft. I had my first scope by age 9, looking through clear night skies near the Pacific in Orange County. Everyone's dad worked in aircraft, oil, electronics or at JPL.
Like most everyone else, the first object i viewed was the Moon, and I was hooked on astronomy. In the intervening 60 years I've had two other small to mid-sized scopes. But, for me, late-nights spent trying to find objects with a wet star chart caused many planned viewing nights to terminate early
I've had two other Astronomy Apps but they quickly became insufficient. StarCart App is Primo, my mind tells me this App will be my last App. I quickly became proficient and comfortable with the menus, settings and use. These developers know the shortcomings of earlier apps and they seem to have designed them out. Buy this app!
Fantastic at finding your place in the universe
It is rare for find inspiration to write a review for an app; but this one really has impressed me. I grew up in Colorado under a dark night sky with stars by the millions but, having moved to Los Angeles, seeing anything in the night sky is few and far between. This app provides a beautifully designed window into the depths of the universe no matter when or where you are. It's artistic initial interface hardly scratches the surface with which you can zoom and explore and see what's going on up there in real time.
Very much a fan!
(P.s. One very minor suggestion would be to work on making the UI navigation between panels and exploring other plants more intuitive)
Great App, great bargain
This app is great for showing you stars, constellations, and planets. Hold your iPhone or iPad up to the sky and your screen will duplicate what you see in the sky. You can also easily change the time to go backward or forward in time. I was able to go out over two years to see the solar eclipse of 21 August 2017. It even correctly showed that it will be a partial eclipse in my area and did a nice job of showing what it will look like. I have tried two other astronomy apps (one was not free) and this app was the best of the three by far. You can search for any star, constellation, or planet. You can also select from a list of key future astronomical events.
- Category: Education
- Updated: Jan 06, 2015
- Version: 3.95
- Size: 22.6 MB
- Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Simplified Chinese, Spanish
- Seller: ESCAPE VELOCITY LIMITED
- © 2009 Escape Velocity Limited
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.
Top In-App Purchases
- Meteor Showers$2.99
- Extended Solar System$2.99
- Enhanced Constellations$6.99
- Extended Star Catalog$9.99
- Enhanced Messier Catalog$9.99