Star Tribune News
By The Star Tribune Media Company
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
More of what matters to Minnesota. All day. Every day. The Star Tribune News app for iPhone offers easy access to the top news of the day from the state’s most trusted news source. You’ll find:
• National and local news
• Weather forecast
• Sports coverage
• Photo galleries
• Video + more
With 260 dedicated journalists behind it, no other mobile app offers a more uniquely Minnesotan perspective.
What's New in Version 1.16
- Bug fixes
Behind the Times
I read the StarTribune app every day as a paid subscriber. I'm still unhappy with the app, and here's why:
- Stories that reference photos or graphics that don't appear in the mobile app. Often, articles say something like "Look to the left for a graphic..." Printed page layout references don't belong in a mobile app. At least you should include the graphics or a URL to them.
- Random popup ads for T-shirts sold by the StarTribune that force me to click continue.
- Issues such as stories that are shown in a category twice (repeated) or shown in multiple categories.
- It's obvious that the stories aren't proofed before they appear on the app. Can you guys check for the missing words and grammatical errors before publishing? It's embarrassing.
Overall, it feels like the iPhone app is an afterthought to the printed newspaper when the focus nowadays should really be "Mobile First".
I am downgrading this to a one-star review (Oct 2017) due to the complete lack of innovation and attention to the issues mentioned above.
Has to be one of the worst news apps
Where to begin with all the drawbacks of this clunky app? Here are just a few of the things that don't work well (or in many cases AT ALL)
1)The app doesn't format story content to fit a mobile screen. Long headlines will just be cutoff mid-screen.
2)The app doesn't have all the story content that's on the STrib website. For instance, the app will have the game story but not the reporter's blog or notebook- you have to navigate to the full website to find it.
3)The app will have a story with unique content like an infographic or survey and when you pull it up in the app it's just a blank screen. Seriously.
4)There are no notifications or other push features available from the app.
5)There are no bookmarking or archiving features for stories if you want to find content later.
Don't waste your time with this app, just bookmark the website.
Data Storage Hog
App layout, features and usability is mediocre to poor. I'm not sure what the other review meant by bias towards Trump, some people see what they want I guess. A big issue is that the app stores all of the information/stories forever so the size of the app in your phone will continue to grow! This app uses 2.5 gigabytes of storage on my phone! The only way to reduce space is to delete and reinstall the app. Pretty big design flaw.
- Category: News
- Updated: May 27, 2016
- Version: 1.16
- Size: 6.2 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Star Tribune Media Company
- © 2011 StarTribune. All rights reserved
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.